Artifice Discussion

Comments

• You can't apply epidermal instantly twice in a row, so if they want to cure scald, they have to leave bayberry down for 1 second, until they can apply epidermal a second time and cure scald.
  • I Haven't had a chance to test it, but would destabilise grounding stop tumble?

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Alaskar said:
    I Haven't had a chance to test it, but would destabilise grounding stop tumble?
    flings them into the sky, forced movement basically
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Might be worth testing. Just remember that anyone with flying will stay in the sky.
    Kaden said:
    Might be worth testing. Just remember that anyone with flying will stay in the sky.
    destabilise grounding with gravity active

• Methinks it will work. And if levitation has been passively stripped with tremors, it'll do some damage. But I think they can apply in the air. Something to think about anyways.

• edited January 2015
    I just tested it. That will not stop a tumble: https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/64389286
  • edited January 2015
    Something's wonky with it, I tumbled while flying which you aren't supposed to be able to do and which I can't replicate without the destabilise flinging setup.
  • Anyone bug it?

• Tharvis said:
    Alaskar said:
    I Haven't had a chance to test it, but would destabilise grounding stop tumble?
    flings them into the sky, forced movement basically

Nothing that I could find in the magi skills stops it. Maybe a bug, but yeah, destabilize grounding doesn't stop it. Nor does creeps, if the target is prone.

Artificing 
    ---------- 
    * There is now a room-wide message when a burning player takes steps to reduce their level of inflammation.

This'll make working up to Destroy easier!

• Anyone willing to share how they set up aliases or bindings for their combos? I'm currently using an alias with three parts. First, a command to recognize the alias, then a command for my elementalism attack and one for golem attacks. So CO SSW SCO does staff strike water/scorch and CO SSE SCA would be earth/scald. It let's me change combos on the fly, but it seems clunky and somewhat unwieldy, though that may change with practice. Any suggestions? Bear in mind, I'm far from being a coder, and I'm not a great combatant either.

• Also, it seems like retardation has little use for us now, as many classes seem like they really punish us for using it. The most creative thing I've though of is tumbling out of retard and destabilizing plague right before the exit so you cure up in time to get back in and punish them. Also, I haven't had a lot of time to play, so what should the general strategy look like for magi now?

• Xinna said:
    You can't apply epidermal instantly twice in a row, so if they want to cure scald, they have to leave bayberry down for 1 second, until they can apply epidermal a second time and cure scald.
    Yeah, pretty safe to just drop it, and cure. Narrow window for the magi to capitalize anyway. I guess it can add an extra second to herb balance but we're still talking slim odds with artie EQ.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited January 2015
    Alaskar said:
    Anyone willing to share how they set up aliases or bindings for their combos? I'm currently using an alias with three parts. First, a command to recognize the alias, then a command for my elementalism attack and one for golem attacks. So CO SSW SCO does staff strike water/scorch and CO SSE SCA would be earth/scald. It let's me change combos on the fly, but it seems clunky and somewhat unwieldy, though that may change with practice. Any suggestions? Bear in mind, I'm far from being a coder, and I'm not a great combatant either.
    :dizzy_face:

Dude. Just set variables for staff strike element and golem attack. Then make tiny aliases that just target different limbs.

sll for staff left leg:

sendAll("setalias sll staffstrike " " ..tar.. " " ..element.. " left leg/golem " ..golatk.. " " ..tar, "sll")

Or whatever.

Then set aliases to swap both variables as appropriate.

Make two separate aliases for wind legs.

Or have someone script you a one button push.
  • I wouldn't ever do it that way. I tried macro/alias, but that didn't feel right. I have macro/toggled golem abilities, now. It isn't too hard to set up and it's pretty intuitive and easily adjusted. Most importantly I don't have to memorize 400 permutations of aliases.

i'm a rebel

• Alias-only. Like a boss.
    And by alias I mean one that keeps track of the target's affs and chooses the right impurity to afflict and destabilises when they have the right affs ;D
  • So I have no idea what I'm doing. First, thanks for the suggestion of toggling commands and activating them with a keybinding. You guys are geniuses, each and every one of you. Second, wtf am I doing to try and kill people? Magi was so damn simple before. It was just smash smash smash <limb> then retard/break/kill and maybe some venoms for fun or soft/rift lock etc. But now I have no idea what I'm even going for. I think I need to keep them on fire and then do something to do something that lets me insta-kill them?

So, in a spar, I prep legs, using maybe earth and smash arms to slow offense (fighting weapon classes) until prepped (still 4 hits/break with staffstrike, right?) then go for a damage burst to hit with timeflux. Once that's stuck, I guess I maybe break one leg with air/scorch then break the other with fire/dehydrate? Or will they have stood up by then? And what the hell good is dehydrate anyways, other than setting up for destroy? If I dehydrate, what should I go for next? I need to keep them on fire for four more tics, right? I guess to cure burn they'd need to apply mending, so could I break torso after dehydrate? Would that stop mending from curing ablaze?

tl;dr:
    1. How long does timeflux last, how is it cured, and what exactly does it do?
    2. Is scald necessary or does it just help get health low enough for timeflux?
    3. Does hypothermia come into play anywhere?
    4. Is retardation still a staple of Magi offense? Because I've just gotten smashed when I use it now.
    5. How is destabilise plague useful when it affects me as well? Or any of the vibes, for that matter?

• edited January 2015
    The bread and butter strategy is this (no ret mind you): 

Destroy:
    1. Prep one or two legs (depending on what they parry) and one or two arm (again on what they parry) for a total of three limbs. All this is done while using golem smash on their arms to hinder their offense.
    2. If you so desire, damage burst to stick timeflux (lasts 45s right now).
    3. Cast golem inferno
    4. Break an arm with earth/golem smash arms
    5. Break leg with air/smash arms
    6. Break the third limb with fire/dehydrate
    7. Proceed to combo staffstrike earth on a limb with golem scorch three-ish times while inferno is still going.
    8. Use destroy.
    9. Laugh at your victim as they're forced to pray because Destroy doesn't leave a body and goes through starburst.

This strategy does not take into account things like rebounding/shielding/tumbling/running. You have to figure out how to get past that stuff on your own.

Pummel:
    1. Prep an arm and a leg with earthstrike/smash arms. Add in a waterstrike/smash arms to the torso once or twice if so desired.
    1.5. Timeflux if you want.
    2. Break arm water/smash arms
    3. Break leg air/smash arms.
    4. Finish prepping torso with water/smash arms
    5. Break torso with water/hypothermia
    6. Strike torso water/pummel x2.
    7. Dance on their broken corpse.

For strategies with Retardation, you're going to be relying a lot on Golem Impurity to mess them up, destabilise lullaby and Golem Hypnotise. You can go for either strategy in retardation as well. Pummel is the favored go-to.

To actually answer your questions:
    1. Timeflux increases salve recovery balance by about 0.6s and lasts for 45s. The skill may change from classleads though.
    2. Scald isn't really used.. there' no place for it in 1v1 imo. It might come in handy for group skirmishes, but there are more useful things you can be doing.
    3. See Pummel Strategy
    4. Retardation is now more an optional thing than the staple it used to be. It can be great if you use it intelligently. Otherwise you're more like to get destroyed by certain classes that rely heavily on afflictions and such.
    5. Destabilise plague, when used in conjunction with airstrike, can be a good way to catch a moment of respite from an aggressive offense. It's not a very long respite (about 2s or so), but many times that can be a huge difference. As for other vibes, experiment with them. I find that destabilise offers enormous raid utility, and can be helpful for locking people down in ret when you have a good advantage.
  • In regards to dehydrate, I'm a little confused on how it works. Do they have to suffer from being ablaze 4 times while dehydrated, or do they have to fail to cure ablaze 4 times consecutively for it to count? So can they be dehydrated and I set them on fire 4 times with efreeti, inferno, staff fire, etc., and still get destroy?

And thanks for the overview, that will help tremendously in figuring out what to do.

• Alaskar said:
    In regards to dehydrate, I'm a little confused on how it works. Do they have to suffer from being ablaze 4 times while dehydrated, or do they have to fail to cure ablaze 4 times consecutively for it to count? So can they be dehydrated and I set them on fire 4 times with efreeti, inferno, staff fire, etc., and still get destroy?

And thanks for the overview, that will help tremendously in figuring out what to do.
    In order to execute the Destroy kill, they need to be dehydrated. Dehydrate allows Inferno and Scorch (ONLY these two abilities) to stack burn levels on your opponent. You need to get them to a l4 burn in order to execute the Destroy
  • Alaskar said:
    In regards to dehydrate, I'm a little confused on how it works. Do they have to suffer from being ablaze 4 times while dehydrated, or do they have to fail to cure ablaze 4 times consecutively for it to count? So can they be dehydrated and I set them on fire 4 times with efreeti, inferno, staff fire, etc., and still get destroy?

It's not about the ablaze ticks. It's more like how freeze goes from caloric strip > shivering > frozen. Now, if you're ablaze AND dehydrated and you get hit by inferno or golem scorch, you increase to lvl 2 burn > lvl 3 > lvl 4 > lvl 5. Can destroy at lvl 5.
  • Does each level do more damage? Is there a message indicating burn level to either fighter? I know I don't get one unless they decrease their burn level, but do they get messages as burn level increases?

edited January 2015
    @Alaskar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    curing burn levels: (the diminish is shown to the magi, aswell)

"The fires consuming you diminish somewhat." (victim perspective)
    "The fires consuming &person diminish somewhat." (magi perspective)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    burn levels increasing: (the increase tiers are not shown to the magi, have to guess these and track their burn level based on their appliances)

"The fires consuming your flesh begin to crackle with greater intensity."
    "Your skin begins to char from the bones as the fires feast upon you."
    "Your vision begins to fade with the all-consuming agony of the fires that are consuming you."
    "Your skin runs like wax as it melts from your bones."
    If the magi makes the mistake of using water staffstrike when prepping for Destroy (TEST ALL THE THINGS!)

"Waves of elemental water surge over your body, quenching the tongues of flame." (victim perspective)
    "The fires consuming &person diminish somewhat." (magi perspective)
    Failed Destroy : 
    "A crystalline golem advances on you, before hesitating and retreating." (victim perspective)
    "A crystalline golem advances upon &person, but abruptly retreats without apparent reason." (magi perspective)

EDIT : oh forgot your other questions. The levels do the same amount of damage, they don't increase the ablaze or scorch or whatever damage. They're just a "OH MY GOD RUN THE HELL AWAY NOW WHAT ARE YOU EVEN STILL DOING HERE"

• Turning to a crystalline golem you direct him to project a disruptive tone at a grounding vibration.
    A violent force suddenly takes hold of you and launches you high into the sky.
    3467h, 3732m, 16400e, 15542w cxkdb-(-400m, 9.0%) 
    The top of the jack-in-the-box flips open and up pops a jester puppet with razor-sharp teeth. 
    Growing to sudden, improbable size, the spring-loaded puppet rips your head off with a single bite.
    You have been slain by Talysin.
    You have been defeated and are thrown out of the Arena.

Intended?

• Forced leap/flight has been acting very weird, really. I sincerely doubt that's intended.
  • I doubt it's intended, but looking back there's only a .2 gap between grounding and the JITB

• Yeah, but you're both in the air at that point. So that makes it weird because the JiTB would've been left on the ground.
  • So I know ablaze blocks freeze. Do all levels of ablaze have to be stripped before freezing? Anyone tested?
    Xith said:
    So I know ablaze blocks freeze. Do all levels of ablaze have to be stripped before freezing? Anyone tested?
    yes @Xith, all levels of ablaze have to be stripped before freezing