Patronage System

Comments

• Out of curiousity, When is the next Celani call?
  • edited January 2015
    I think there is something to be said for the problem of strongly-aligned orgs lacking patrons (I remember those dark (light?) days of Mhaldor as well as anyone). And I can see having a sort of inbox for requests in the event that such an org doesn't have a patron for a while (maybe just an inbox for patron requests to "no patron") with the understanding that things in the bin are very low priority. The idea being not so much to get those things fixed as to provide a sort of placebo so players don't feel quite so helpless, even if they actually remain pretty much just as helpless in reality. And maybe someone can skim the list every few months and see if one or two things on it really are low-impact enough that they don't need the usual level of consideration with respect to org history and the like.

That said, maybe that's a bad idea. I have no idea how any of this works and I think the degree of entitlement in a lot of responses in this thread is staggering.

It amazes me how many people continue to try to mansplain (godsplain?) to the admin how godhood works - the dynamics of recruiting, how the workload apparently "must be", what "just makes sense", etc.
  • edited January 2015
    Tahquil said:
    Out of curiousity, When is the next Celani call?
    Probably not for a couple months still. The last one was in mid-Sep.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Is that why there are no more ascensions? Or is that a separate story? #AchaeaHistoryLesson

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited January 2015
    I have no desire to be a Celani, but I loved being a Chronicler when the program was in place. Mortal building and Guiding was also something I enjoyed a lot. I see fewer of these calls going out though than when I started playing Achaea. There are many players who could probably do a lot of good behind the scenes in a non-divine role.

Edit: I think many Gods still 'reveal' themselves to players and much criticism goes on in OOC clans about metagaming as a result of it. If I were to do a SWOT analysis of Achaea, I'd list that among its weaknesses. I realize that doesn't respond to the full comment about Gods who logged in, played around, and then QQed but I do think it has either become a popular reason for people to respond to Celani calls (or it's perceived as being one, which is just as bad). 
  • edited January 2015
    Shirszae said:
    Is that why there are no more ascensions? Or is that a separate story? #AchaeaHistoryLesson
    Yep, although neither of the cases I brought up above were Ascensions.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I still kind of want to ascend one day, though. :(
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Sarapis said:
    Sarapis said:
    Zii said:
    The whole "year of slave labor" thing is off-putting when you make the Celani calls.

Jus sayin
    Yeah, sucks that when you want to be a pilot you have to actually train at it first. Would be way better to just toss them a manual, give them a week to read it, and then stick them in the pilot's seat. You guys would just love the results of that.
    I'll also add that we used to just let promising people go straight to God, but implemented the Celani program after two successive people became Gods, revealed themselves to players, played with all the commands, and then promptly stopped logging in a couple days later, having satisfied their curiosity.
    That was also well over 10 years ago, and there was a tendency to pick not so good people as divine then.

There were also bad choices made to who SHOULDN'T be divine/celani back then, too. Remember the "we'll never let someone under 18 be a celani/divine again" rule? (The person it was made for runs Aetolia now).

• edited January 2015
    Cooper said:
    Sarapis said:
    Sarapis said:
    Zii said:
    The whole "year of slave labor" thing is off-putting when you make the Celani calls.

Jus sayin
    Yeah, sucks that when you want to be a pilot you have to actually train at it first. Would be way better to just toss them a manual, give them a week to read it, and then stick them in the pilot's seat. You guys would just love the results of that.
    I'll also add that we used to just let promising people go straight to God, but implemented the Celani program after two successive people became Gods, revealed themselves to players, played with all the commands, and then promptly stopped logging in a couple days later, having satisfied their curiosity.
    That was also well over 10 years ago, and there was a tendency to pick not so good people as divine then.

There were also bad choices made to who SHOULDN'T be divine/celani back then, too. Remember the "we'll never let someone under 18 be a celani/divine again" rule? (The person it was made for runs Aetolia now).
    People haven't become a different species just because 10 years has passed! There is zero reason to believe the result would be any different today.
  • Bluef said:
     I loved being a Chronicler when the program was in place
    You're welcome and encouraged to continue! Keeping the wiki updated with lore, and even including sections with player-written dramatizations of quests, events, etc is all awesome and appreciated.
  • Sometimes, I ponder the whole Celani route. It'd certainly keep me out of trouble, and the aspects of adding and crafting to the world and being one of the driving forces that inspire other players to kick ass are really appealing, even if it's behind the scenes.

But then I remember that I enjoy being a player. And I like being cocky. And I like my character having a family. And I like fighting, and sailing, and making oodles of profit. And being a more aggressive dynamic for Cyrene (for better and/or worse!).

:\

• Sarapis said:
    Bluef said:
     I loved being a Chronicler when the program was in place
    You're welcome and encouraged to continue! Keeping the wiki updated with lore, and even including sections with player-written dramatizations of quests, events, etc is all awesome and appreciated.
    Yeah that Wiki is a little weird right now, get on it @Bluef I expect a full report in the morning :P
  • Bronislav said:
    Sometimes, I ponder the whole Celani route. It'd certainly keep me out of trouble, and the aspects of adding and crafting to the world and being one of the driving forces that inspire other players to kick ass are really appealing, even if it's behind the scenes.

But then I remember that I enjoy being a player. And I like being cocky. And I like my character having a family. And I like fighting, and sailing, and making oodles of profit. And being a more aggressive dynamic for Cyrene (for better and/or worse!).

:\
    This is also how I feel from time to time. I enjoy Renoir far too much to try it, and would rather spend a few more decades, maybe even centuries, before I give Her up and consider ascending to god-hood. Though, if the celani route doesn't work out, can the person pick back up their characters where they last fell asleep?
  • I think one of the things that made the Achaean wiki so much fun to update was the Chroniclers clan. Yes, it could be a bit nitpicky at times and we had debates over things, but it made the wiki better overall and added this sense of community and accomplishment to what we were trying to build that I don't feel anymore through individually-inspired page edits, unfortunately. Plus, Nissa called upon us for all kinds of things with the Theran Athenaeum. It was really fun. 
  • edited January 2015
    Sarapis said:
    Zii said:

Jus sayin
    I don't mind being as a slave, i just like this game.

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • You're also not a slave as a Celani. Slaves can't quit or choose what they want to work on. ;)
  • Sarapis said:
    You're also not a slave as a Celani. Slaves can't quit or choose what they want to work on. ;)
    Is it 100% impossible to become Celani and keep your mortal? I understand how bad it could burn you doing a trial run, but if the person in question was barred from working on anything relating directly to them and signed an NDA that says if you talk about Fight Club you're permashrubbed, no appeals, it seems like it could work. You'd need someone with Saltaernebrous levels of character separation, but you could do it.

• It is 100% impossible and would not work. 
  • Would I be refunded all the money I put into achaea on becoming a celani? :dizzy_face: 
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited January 2015
    Sena said:
    I don't see any reason you couldn't have a player-run clan for updating/improving the wiki.

That's an idea. I'm not sure it's a great investment to take 500k IC to try to re-create something the Garden didn't want to throw their support toward anymore. Just saying.

But..yeah. I would totally be on board with trying to do it if enough Chroniclers (new and old) were still interested in participating - @Madelyne‌
    @Halos, etc.
  • edited January 2015
    What makes you think we're not supportive of it? If there was a credible effort made by a group of committed and enthusiastic people of course we'd support it.

However, last time forum-goers got excited in updating the wiki (in this case adding a lot more combat info to it than there's now) things didn't get very far at all and came to a standstill, so I'm not just going to open up a clan for it without seeing that there's going to be some sustained interest.
  • Sarapis said:
    What makes you think we're not supportive of it? If there was a credible effort made by a group of committed and enthusiastic people of course we'd support it.

However, last time forum-goers got excited in updating the wiki (in this case adding a lot more combat info to it than there's now) things didn't get very far at all and came to a standstill, so I'm not just going to open up a clan for it without seeing that there's going to be some sustained interest.
    Oooh, well I'll get on it then! I'll speak to Halos and whoever else routinely updates the wiki. I really loved the Chroniclers!
  • Sarapis said:

i have noticed in the effort of making blademaster skillset more detailed than other. I think i would put in effort for the monks one(since im a monk now.) so i will the info there. I can edit whatever I want over there...? Of course, nothing silly like add some extremely detailed about how awesome the ponies are!

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • ... I just remember how often I got into fights with @Delphinus on the chronicler clan and it often degenerated to the point where @Madelyne had to step in and vote one way or another. (Usually with me cause Delph was being a dork!)
    I can say with pretty much 100% certainty that we are all dorks here.

Denial is a terrible thing, @Atalkez, @Silas

• You don't live my life gurl

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.