Newish player trying to pick a class

Hello Achaeans! I've tried playing the game a couple of times, but never managed to get really deep into it(usually due to a RL break causing me to forget most of what I learned!) I've been lurking the forums for a while now, and noticed the weaponmastery changes; now I want to try out a Knight!( the dual-wielding rapiers always turned me off). I read some of the help files and have a couple of questions:

- Runewarden help files talk about needing a "dual wieldable weapon" to empower as your runeblade. Is this still the case, or can runewardens use two handed/one handed and shield?
- One of the Paladin passives is about being able to perform rites right after doubleslash, same question as runewardens :)

Also, while I have a vague idea of the differences between the three Knights, I would very much like to read a more in-depth guide on what makes each of them tick, and how they play! I couldn't really find any information online though(the wiki I found was kind of bare bones). Is there some knightly literature that I could read(IG or out) that would help me get familiarized with them before I pick one? I'm not really looking for an in-depth breakdown of combat because most of it sounds like gibberish to me :# , but just a general idea of what I would be doing as a Paladin/Runewarden/Infernal.

Finally, and not completely unrelated, is there a way to check if I can reincarnate my character(I don't remember if I've used mine)? Is there any drawback rekindling this old fart's life compared to just making a new character? Should I really end my post with a question mark? Thanks, preemptively!

Comments

• Kaedhol said:

- Runewarden help files talk about needing a "dual wieldable weapon" to empower as your runeblade. Is this still the case, or can runewardens use two handed/one handed and shield?

Yes, Runewardens can now empower two-handed weapons and blunt weapons.  Shields can't be empowered, but Sword and Board is still a very powerful spec for Runewardens on account of improved limb prep and damage pressure over Paladin/Infernal.

- One of the Paladin passives is about being able to perform rites right after doubleslash, same question as runewardens :)

Don't know.

Also, while I have a vague idea of the differences between the three Knights, I would very much like to read a more in-depth guide on what makes each of them tick, and how they play! I couldn't really find any information online though(the wiki I found was kind of bare bones). Is there some knightly literature that I could read(IG or out) that would help me get familiarized with them before I pick one? I'm not really looking for an in-depth breakdown of combat because most of it sounds like gibberish to me :# , but just a general idea of what I would be doing as a Paladin/Runewarden/Infernal.
    There's three threads on this forum, one for each of the new Specs, that discusses them in depth.  There's no way for me to reasonably sum up the contents of all of them because 1) that's a ton of information to shove into a simple response and 2) things are still changing so I can't conclusively say they're going to be this way when I finish typing this sentence.

Finally, and not completely unrelated, is there a way to check if I can reincarnate my character(I don't remember if I've used mine)? Is there any drawback rekindling this old fart's life compared to just making a new character? Should I really end my post with a question mark? Thanks, preemptively!

I think STAT STATS might show if you have a free reincarnation, but reincarnation doesn't remake your character, it just allows you to change race.  You'll still have the same name, level (so long as you don't lose a level from the death, obviously) and history.

~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Pretty sure it's SCORE 2 that shows reincarnation.

• MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    Welcome back. Hope you stick around this time!

• edited January 2015
    Something I wish I'd thought to do way back when was to really try ALL of the IRE games.  They are very different, and also have very different player bases.  That said, the other IRE games didn't seem as developed back when I started, so there wasn't as much to keep me there.  I am absolutely loving Imperian now though, and I really need to give Lusternia and Aetolia a serious try.  Don't commit completely to Achaea too early though.  It may or may not be the game for you, based on too many things to list here.  The other IRE games are probably more timezone based though.  If you live outside the CONUS/Canada or just have an odd schedule, you may want to see if there are going to be enough people around if you're going to commit to one of those.  As for a knight class here in Achaea, another vote for Runewarden for someone who is getting their footing in the game.  It will never limit you, and it's a good place to start as well.  

EDIT:  that said I still love both.  Achaea is so rich in features.  Realistically, most of us can only play one at a time, and you might as well make sure you go wherever you think you'll enjoy things the most for now.  
  • Vesios, thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for. With Addama relieving my mechanics issues, I'm going to go ahead and dive in  B)
  • Fervour - the ability that allows you to lay rites while off balance following certain attacks - is currently a perk of dual cutting. That may or may not change, I've heard people quote conflicting answers there.

It's a lot less necessary than runeblades are as a runewarden. Rites can be a big part of Paladin combat, but having to lay them separately before starting to attack generally won't matter too much.