How do you think Alchemy RP should/will play out in light of the big change?

VayneVayne Rhode Island
edited January 2015 in Alchemist
In light of the "Big Change", the question must be asked, "What does this mean for alchemist RP?" While the change makes sense mechanically, and the addition of formulations is pretty awesome, a significant portion of the basis for alchemy has been abolished with no apparent resolution in sight. It is not that I dislike any of the new features, a lot of depth has been added to the game, but the deus ex machina(at least as far as we have seen or know so far)way it was implemented seems to do some damage, especially to alchemists. The Alchemists of the Cauda Pavonis allowed the city-states the ability to tap into the Ether under the stipulation that they forsake new Forestal citizens. 5 out of 6 cities agreed. While as far as I know, that rule still stands, though I do recall mention of these restrictions potentially lifted after the change, but the insinuated premise for the Cauda Pavonis's disdain is now abolished since harvest/concoctions and synthesis/transmutation are no longer under the exclusive purview of Forestal and Alchemists respectively. While this change does not directly violate the agreement it goes a long way to circumvent it, something I do not foresee Khunrath taking kindly to.

Comments

• From the point of view of RP alone, I would prefer option B (the divide remains) - however, I don't think it's possible to go back and implement that retrospectively at this point, and "grandfathering" those people who have had the tradeskill for a week seems to defeat the point entirely.  Grandfathering works for the couple of forestals in cities at the moment because there are so few of them - adding the dozens of week-old harvesters to that at this point would render the system nothing more than an inconvenience to new players.

So C.  Not sure what the event would be, and it would be nice if it explained how we suddenly got formulation as well (and the magi got artificing), but that's just wishful thinking.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I would be fine with C as long as it is executed in an interesting and integral way. At the least I would be eager to see the CP make another appearance in any capacity.
  • I'm not very optimistic about it, I think it's pretty likely that nothing will happen and it will basically just be ignored.
  • edited January 2015
    I dont know how these things work but does this kind of event/RP have to stem from admin or can players draw it up, script it and propose it?

If the latter then maybe one of the affected who knows the history / lore and cares can draw something up, I assume itll have much higher chance of being addressed in that case.
  • edited January 2015
    Like I said in the other thread: keep the divide, add a mechanism for people to swap the tradeskills.

Have Cauda Pavonis representatives offer to teach city herbalists how to replace their herbs with safe, effective, well-studied alchemical remedies.

Have Seasone offer to teach people with synthesis how to replace their toxic metals with all-natural, all-organic herbal cures.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Tibitha said:
    I dont know how these things work but does this kind of event/RP have to stem from admin or can players draw it up, script it and propose it?

If the latter then maybe one of the affected who knows the history / lore and cares can draw something up, I assume itll have much higher chance of being addressed in that case.
    There is an email for ideas, but I'm not sure if it is just for org level ideas or larger scale things, I'm sure the admins are less inclined to take suggestions from players on a worldwide scale considering they already have a broad idea of the narrative they are crafting.

That said, I would be more than happy to help come up with an event for it. >.>
    I just don't want to see this valuable opportunity get ignored as @Sena fears or see it done with an equally unsatisfied deus ex machina solution.