What's cooking?

Comments

• Kresslack said:

How much whiskey goes into cookies? I'm new to this whole baking thing.
    What cookies are you baking that have any amount of whiskey in them? Probably not much, because they will interfere with the myriad chemical processes that go on during baking - see this writeup - while not contributing a great deal of flavour.
  • edited December 2014
    I've found a lot of cookie recipes that use whiskey or other alcohol (if you want to find some, you can just google 'whiskey cookies recipe'). I'm planning on making some with Fireball soon.

You can make cookies out of just about anything.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    My experience is that you can cook with alcohol and just about anything, just that it cooks the alcohol out and leaves a nice infused flavour. Never tried baking with it before though (unless you count drinking while operating an oven).

• Kresslack said:
    My experience is that you can cook with alcohol and just about anything, just that it cooks the alcohol out and leaves a nice infused flavour. Never tried baking with it before though (unless you count drinking while operating an oven).
    Make a rum cake with Bacardi Torched Cherry rum.. Was amazing, but something I definitely couldn't share at work. :wink: 
  • Kresslack said:
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/11/alcohol-doesnt-really-cook-out-of-food-in-most-cases/

• Last year at Christmas, my friend wanted to get all fancy and serve a Christmas pudding that was on fire...well, it turned out to be harder than she thought to get it alight. Cut to 15 minutes later with half a dozen empty bottles of different alcohol with the pudding finally burning. Needless to say, it didn't taste great after that. 
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/11/alcohol-doesnt-really-cook-out-of-food-in-most-cases/
    "The highest rates of retention were with alcohol added to boiling liquid and then shortly after removed from heat.  In this case, the alcohol retention rate was around 85%."

Well...yeah. If you pour alcohol into already boiling liquid and then remove it from heat, probably not going to do much.

The baking bits though were interesting, around the 30 minute and up mark.

When baked/simmered where the mixture is stirred, produced the following results:
    15 minutes 40%
    30 minutes 35%
    1 hour 25%
    1.5 hours 20%
    2 hours 10%
    2.5 hours 5%

• I think that's why they call the process that's used when cooking with alcohol a reduction: You're basically reducing the alcohol content through reduction and evaporation. I cook with wine all the time, by the way. Red, white, whatever. Venison and red wine chili is probably my absolute fav. So, so good. 
  • Made a pumpkin cheesecake for @Darktalon the other day. Now using the leftover pumpkin to make pumpkin bread. Cream cheese cookies and peanut butter balls are prolly in the works as well.
  • Bluef said:
    I think that's why they call the process that's used when cooking with alcohol a reduction: You're basically reducing the alcohol content through reduction and evaporation. I cook with wine all the time, by the way. Red, white, whatever. Venison and red wine chili is probably my absolute fav. So, so good. 
    Not true! A reduction is called a reduction not specifically for alcohol, but because you're thickening and bringing out the flavor of the liquid. Evaporation is the name of the game, but water in addition to alcohol is what simmering removes, and is the end goal.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front

This breakfast bake was only fair; does anyone have a recipe they particularly love?
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    My ex used to call those "Christmas eggs" and now I hate the smell of eggs baking in the oven. Poo-eewy!

Tonight I'm roasting beef smothered in a garlic rub and some brussel sprouts. going to whip up some red skin potatoes with plenty of butter and sour cream when they're ready. Going to finish it off with a chocolate fudge pie if time permits. NOM!

This is the best part of holiday breaks for me: Cooking stuff I usually don't have time to make during the semester. 
    @Herenicus, nice 'Murica sticker.

• Made some wasabi jerky. 350-400g beef, cured in a brine of 1/5 c salt, 1 c warm water, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, and 4 tsp wasabi powder (horseradish variety) for a day, then dried in my oven at 40-50ºC with fan on for about 4 hours.

It turned out great - everything except the taste. The texture is perfect. Dried and chewy, but still supple. Taste-wise, it has none of the mouth-numbing prickly wasabi spiciness, and instead has a flavour I would describe as salty meat vomit.
  • edited December 2014
    While not strictly 'cooking' I made a big batch of instant cocoa mix up this morning, and packaged ready for gift giving.

http://imgur.com/UxUmTF0

Recipe can be found here.

• I made these for breakfast today. They were amazing.

I scrambled the eggs for some of them (since I didn't have enough eggs for all of them), it doesn't work nearly as well that way, since the egg soaks into the bread more and doesn't hold everything together as well. It still tastes fine, though.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited January 2015
    So instead of Christmas cooking for me, I got to do a bit of New Years cooking instead! Tomorrow I'll be doing no bakes, but tonight I was really in the mood for a southern pineapple casserole, which consists of pineapple, sugar, cheese, and a Ritz cracker crust. To those who know of it, all adore it. Those who do not find it an absolutely confusing mixture of ingrediants, and so did I when my mother taught me how to bake it about ten years ago.

Nowadays I cook it for any holidays I can fit it into, and it is always a favourite. It's something I've taken a lot of time to try and get the exact recipe down to perfection, and tonight was my best yet! Not quite perfect, but now I know exactly what to do next time.

Actual dinner was just a frozen pepperoni pizza with some extra (leftover) cheese thrown on plus a fresh batch of sweet tea.

But while that cooked, I got to making the actual casserole first...

Uncooked version. Don't mind all the clutter in the background.

Fresh out of the oven! It was bubbling wonderfully when it came out, too.

Up close and personal view of the actual texture of the stuff.

I found the recipe here, but made a couple small alterations. I used two packs of Ritz instead of one, because I absolutely love the cracker crust, as well as used a bit more butter (not quite double, just a bit under) to compensate for it. I also set aside a bit of the pineapple juice from one of the cans to sprinkle about 3 tablespoons in with the butter and crackers.

I suggest sticking to the 13 x 9 pan - using a rounded casserole dish will severely mess up how well this cooks. I also would layer it as the recipe suggests, as it seems to cook much better. Only use freshly grated cheese (preferably not mild - the middle cheese or sharp are both good choices, as I used the former in this recipe instead of sharp). The store-bought grated cheese clumps and doesn't melt properly in the cooking due to the powder preservatives used on it. Lastly, the recipe suggests about 25 minutes, but that isn't near long enough. I cooked mine for 35 mins and a little bit of the cheese was still -slightly- uncooked (just barely). I would suggest about 40-45 minutes, and it's what I intend on trying next time.

There are a few Achaeans, such as @Aeryllin, that I've shared this with over the years. If you haven't tried it before, it's very simple, and quite delicious. Enjoy!

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    edited January 2015
    Angry orchard beer cheese (you can sub any other kind of beer but the darker the better)

16 oz cream cheese 
    1/3 cup Angry Orchard 
    2 Tbsp ranch dressing mix 
    2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

mix in mixing bowl adding one item at a time. Scrape sides and blend till completely mixed. Serve with chips or pretzels.
    easy!

• I try not to have the same thing for taco Tuesday every week, so I wound up making this happy accident. Homemade deep fried masa harina tortillas, guacamole, fried pork belly, hot sauce, scallions, and tomato.

Then I was really sad I didn't make more tortillas.

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness

Home made butter (and buttermilk)! 
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    who's got a tried & true recipe for beignets?

• Cafe Du Monde beignet mix is all you need! Then some  their chicory coffee. That stuff  through my veins
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere

Ok so I haven't actually made these. But firstly, I love Kouign-Amann, both the regular kind and the Japanese adaptation with custard in the centre. Secondly, I find the chef incredibly attractive, even though most of the video was just his hands. Those are an extremely sexy pair of hands.

• edited March 2015
    I think I'm going to make garlic honey glazed rack of lamb with some wine and spinach tonight depends if I feel like shopping after work to get the mats. 
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

This discussion has been closed.