What's cooking?

Comments

• Tis the season! I know lots of people break out the cookie sheets around this time and bake enough cookies to cause sugar highs for weeks on end.  What's on your list of stuff to bake?  I'm thinking snickerdoodles, cream cheese cookies, buckeyes, white chocolate macadamia nut, and oatmeal chocolate chip.
  • Lannah said:
    Tis the season! I know lots of people break out the cookie sheets around this time and bake enough cookies to cause sugar highs for weeks on end.  What's on your list of stuff to bake?  I'm thinking snickerdoodles, cream cheese cookies, buckeyes, white chocolate macadamia nut, and oatmeal chocolate chip.
    Well, myself I've got to make the following for the upcoming weekend: nutella cheesecake, mini lemon meringue pies and my pecan filled meringue cookies known as pecan clouds. 
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • I accidentally bought 2kg of marshmallows when the Halloween packs were 12p each on sale at the end of November.

So far I've been having them in coffee or on their own, but I'm thinking I need some kind of recipe so I don't feel like they're taunting me. Suggestions, other than your weirdo colonialist smores?
  • Sybilla said:
    I accidentally bought 2kg of marshmallows when the Halloween packs were 12p each on sale at the end of November.

So far I've been having them in coffee or on their own, but I'm thinking I need some kind of recipe so I don't feel like they're taunting me. Suggestions, other than your weirdo colonialist smores?
    You shut your whore mouth about the pinnacle of sugary delight that is the venerated S'more.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2014
    Rice crispy treats, perhaps?

http://www.ricekrispies.com/recipes/the-original-treats or something. You can also add in all kinds of things if you want something besides just plain (which mind you are quite delicious), like chocolate chips or whatever else.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Change pecans to walnuts, leave off the nonsense frosting, I'm making these again this year.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Substituting walnuts for pecans? Blasphemy! (those look good though).

• Lorielan said:
    Change pecans to walnuts

• OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    Lannah said:
    Tis the season! I know lots of people break out the cookie sheets around this time and bake enough cookies to cause sugar highs for weeks on end.  What's on your list of stuff to bake?  I'm thinking snickerdoodles, cream cheese cookies, buckeyes, white chocolate macadamia nut, and oatmeal chocolate chip.
    Over the festive season I always do my Austrian truffles for everyone, and my peppermint creams. I have no added this 'microwave fudge' to the list, as well as a few trays of triple chocolate brownies. 

As extra gifts I always do flavoured vodka. This year I have done mulled spice, cinnamon, and raspberry.

I always have guests coming and go, so I will do up stocks of mince pies, sausage rolls, and mini pastry cases to fill with random things if someone stops by.

And then we all explode.

• edited December 2014
    Sybilla said:
    I accidentally bought 2kg of marshmallows when the Halloween packs were 12p each on sale at the end of November.

Rocky road. So super easy.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Ive only ever made fudge in the microwave. Though I'm referring to real fudge :P (sugar, butter, syrup, bit of cream, boil till softball stage fudge).

Its easier to control the temperature for me, using the microwave. 
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    I have never, ever had a successful experience with any sort of chocolate anything and a microwave. My hat's off to those of you who've mastered it!

• Aegoth said:
    Cut up some chicken breast, roll it in semi-dry rub. Bake for ~20min. Voila

Rub:
    - rubbed sage
    - thyme
    - crushed rosemary
    - oregano
    - parsely
    - basil
    - cayenne pepper
    - paprika
    - a bit of olive oil and lemon mixed in

5lb. bag of chicken from Costco, giant pot of brown rice, and a bag of Normandy blend frozen veg. This is my standard lunch/dinner/sometimes breakfast through out the week.
  • Some braised chicken thighs with au gratin potatoes with gruyere cheese and brussels sprouts with shallots in walnut oil.

• Just made Fireball chicken, and even though I burnt the sauce pretty badly it still ended up being pretty good. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture before I started eating it.

Measurements are just estimates, since I don't normally measure things precisely unless I'm following a recipe:
    Between 1.5 and 2 cups Fireball whiskey
    1 cup honey (I have some local unprocessed honey, which tastes very different from most store-bought honey)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    5 chicken breasts

1. Mix the ingredients (except the chicken) really well, it took me a minute or two of stirring before the honey was completely mixed in.
    2. Marinate the chicken overnight or all day (I did about 9 hours).
    3. Preheat some oil in a skillet, then take the chicken out of the marinade and sear for a few seconds on each side, until they're nicely browned. Set the chicken aside. You'll probably want to start preheating the oven now.
    4. Reduce the marinade into a sauce. I'm not very good at this part (hence the burning), so I can't give precise instructions, so I'll just explain what I did and how you might do better: I poured the marinade into a large pot, boiling for 12ish minutes, stirring frequently. Once the foam started to go down and it wasn't constantly attempting to boil over, I continued boiling it for a bit longer to thicken it more (it was still pretty foamy and liquidy) while stirring constantly, then turned the burner off. I forgot to actually take the pot off the burner though, and about 30 seconds later it was about the consistency of melted fudge, then as it cooled it became completely solid (thankfully I managed to get most of it on the chicken before that point, and it melted in the oven). Obviously it would help to not burn it and not cook it as long, but other than that I'm not sure exactly when to stop cooking it. You might also cook it on a lower heat, or just stop way earlier and thicken it with cornstarch or something.
    5. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake uncovered at 350 for about 30-35 minutes.
    6. Remove from oven, put on a plate (preferably with some side dishes), eat.

While it was good, it seemed to be missing something, and I'm not sure what else to put in the marinade. Any suggestions, or advice on reducing the marinade (I've done fine with with other sauces, but this is my first time boiling alcohol and honey)?
  • Cayenne or ginger, maybe?

• Since the sauce i essentially sugar-based, it might be worth looking into consistency cues for candy-making. As for missing flavors, it's hard say without tasting it, but my first inclination would be a little acid to offset the sweetness of the honey. I'd probably try cider vinegar, but citrus (orange, maybe?) would also be an option.
    Eld said:
    Since the sauce i essentially sugar-based, it might be worth looking into consistency cues for candy-making. As for missing flavors, it's hard say without tasting it, but my first inclination would be a little acid to offset the sweetness of the honey. I'd probably try cider vinegar, but citrus (orange, maybe?) would also be an option.
    Yeah, if you have a cup of honey, you will be looking for vinegar or citrus. I use rice wine vinegar a lot, or white wine vinegar.

They all look kinda cool! You went the old school route of the trifle? 

• The agenda for today is my sister's butter cookies. Lots of them. Dozens. With sprinkles. I just need to find where I put that damn cookie press...
  • Ourania said:
    Yeah! There were some complications in trying take some shortcuts since I had less than 24 hours to throw it together. I checked with four bakeries nearby me and none of them had sponge cake so made that from scratch. (Yes ladyfingers might have been a good substitute but all I could find were packaged hardened and stale ones). Also, the recipe I found called for cream sherry vs. brandy. Not sure how much a difference there is but still tasty. :) I admit I bought the raspberry jam but it's from a local at the farmer's market that is quite tasty. The thing I really wanted in here but couldn't find was candied cherries. Probably called/looked at seven different specialty/grocery stores and no one had it.

All I know is that this was the first time I tried figgy pudding and I now understand why "we won't leave until we get some."
  • Where's -my- toad in a hole you son of a bitch? :[

Yang said:
    Ourania said:
    Yeah! There were some complications in trying take some shortcuts since I had less than 24 hours to throw it together. I checked with four bakeries nearby me and none of them had sponge cake so made that from scratch. (Yes ladyfingers might have been a good substitute but all I could find were packaged hardened and stale ones). Also, the recipe I found called for cream sherry vs. brandy. Not sure how much a difference there is but still tasty. :) I admit I bought the raspberry jam but it's from a local at the farmer's market that is quite tasty. The thing I really wanted in here but couldn't find was candied cherries. Probably called/looked at seven different specialty/grocery stores and no one had it.

All I know is that this was the first time I tried figgy pudding and I now understand why "we won't leave until we get some."
    Aye, the more modern is to use the ladyfingers, and as jam isn't normally used any more (we use jelly/jello), it softens them up to smoosh. 

My trifles are normally two layers of ladyfingers, then a packet of frozen raspberries. Cover it all with raspberry jelly (jello), and leave to set. Then add custard, then cream on top.

And you don't have glace cherries over there? If not, an alternative that is nice to use are maraschino cherries. 

I've never actually made the old style trifle before, but now I am tempted.

• EldEld
    edited December 2014
    Replacing jam with Jell-o is a betrayal of the highest order.

ETA: On the other hand, the mention of custard has reminded me that it's eggnog season, and now I'm very excited.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    Making my mother's coq au vin for a holiday treat today. Cooking away and I suddenly realized that the recipe may be the only thing I have in her handwriting (she passed in 2005). Salty tears will go well in the sauce, right? 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Ourania said:
    Lannah said:
    Over the festive season I always do my Austrian truffles for everyone, and my peppermint creams. I have no added this 'microwave fudge' to the list, as well as a few trays of triple chocolate brownies. 

As extra gifts I always do flavoured vodka. This year I have done mulled spice, cinnamon, and raspberry.

I always have guests coming and go, so I will do up stocks of mince pies, sausage rolls, and mini pastry cases to fill with random things if someone stops by.

And then we all explode.
    How much whiskey goes into cookies? I'm new to this whole baking thing.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Kresslack said:
    Ourania said:
    Lannah said:

And then we all explode.
    How much whiskey goes into cookies? I'm new to this whole baking thing.
    all of the whiskey! Don't forget the bottles, too, extra vitamins and all that. Some extra crunchiness too!
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

This discussion has been closed.