Changing Earrings of Sinope Message.

You think of your true love, <x>, and travel to him/her.

As someone that firmly does not believe in polygamy, this line bothers me. On a more serious note, can we have something less romantically-inclined and a cooler more sophisticated neutral message that makes more sense?

Example : Focusing the power of the earring, you teleport/travel to <x>.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i think it costs 500cr or so to change it.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    i think it costs 500cr or so to change it.
    but I love you waseem

• edited December 2014

If homophobia is your only incentive not to fast-travel, I say up it.  Lets make puppet travel trigger people's insecurity and fears - maybe people will be less likely to spam it, as well.

That said, if you really don't like the first person message that much, why not just make a sub?  Changing the 3rd party message would have a moderate impact on combat, so a small credit price (500cr seems excessive) does seem fair.

• 1000 credits has been the quoted price in the past, though that could change if it were brought up again.
  • Does anyone know,  if we pay the thousand credits,  and then change earring partners,  do we lose the mesage?
  • You can be gay and not polyamorous.  I know, crazy idea, right?
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • To clarify:  I doubt Ernam's intention was to assume that the two go hand-in-hand.  There are ignorant people, however, who do not know that the two words are different.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • I don't think suck it up and deal with it is ever an answer, especially in a game where things change as often as they do here, and where the playerbase has such a direct line of communication with the admin.

IMO the original intention of earrings is in the minority by far, in terms of usage, and its clear that earrings are meant to stay as a combat artefact, which sees most of their usage. Really doesn't make sense to leave the earring message the way it is, especially given that people aren't flocking to change the message through customizations.
  • I mentioned polygamy as a joke :lol: No idea how things went south but I agree with @Jacen, I think that line reveals the original intent of earrings and since the meta has shifted to it becoming a popular combat-related travel item, could probs be changed to something that reflects it.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• Hey, let's put this back on track.

The only way the admin would be able to change the message at ALL is to do one of two things.

1. Change them all. All of them, everywhere.
    2. Make an entirely new item. Name it something that isn't the original name, and sell it to you. It would be probably the same price as the original item, probably mark up the price a bit for the work they had to put into it, and there you go. This probably wouldn't be done, but it's possible if you talked them into it.
  • Or 3) pay 500-1000 credits for a customization.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Addama said:
    Or 3) pay 500-1000 credits for a customization.
    Considered it,  but no one answered question!  @Jhui‌ would love me if he got a unique earring travel message.  I bet he would even let me raid again (damn jobs getting in the way[please work later])
  • Addama said:
    Or 3) pay 500-1000 credits for a customization.
    I'm about 95% sure that when you do this, they're really just doing my second selection.

• As someone that firmly does not believe in polygamy, this line bothers me. On a more serious note, can we have something less romantically-inclined and a cooler more sophisticated neutral message that makes more sense?
    No that's the price you pay for your stupid bullshit dumb crap artifact.

• As someone that firmly does not believe in polygamy, this line bothers me. On a more serious note, can we have something less romantically-inclined and a cooler more sophisticated neutral message that makes more sense?
    No that's the price you pay for your stupid bullshit dumb crap artifact.
    No u. I should have put in a /s after that polygamy sentence.

It's a change to a sentence, nothing groundbreaking or urgent but something that would marginally improve game design.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• Suffer in the suffering of your polygamous ways. Changing a line won't erase the filthy, horrible truth from your mind
  • No you guys. See, it is the magic of the earring. In that instant when the earrings activate the person wearing the the partner to your earring really does become your one true love. And you theirs. In that instant your love for each is so strong, so true and pure that not eaven the laws of reality can keep you apart.

Or, the line is just really stupid and should be changed. That's one earring change owners can all get behind.
  • You know what @Carmain you can just go to Hell! Love is fucking magic.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The Earrings of Sinope share valuable lessons in the freedom of love, and the power of love. Changing such things is just a sign of backwards society full of prejudice and transgender hate.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Ourania said:
    Let's not go there with this thread. For once, just stop, and be normal, and productive about what changes you have ideas for.
    Why?

• Jovolo said:
    I know Ernam gets a lot of hate here, but I have to say he's never come across to be a bigot. I saw it as him having misunderstood what Exelethril was saying and acted as defensive against perceived bigotry as you are in light of what Ernam said.

Should probably give him the BOTD before he can explain himself instead of personally attacking the guy, lol.
    He seemed to be accusing Exelethril of being a bigot, which is a pretty raw accusation when, you know, he wasn't being a bigot.

It was a simple misunderstanding, but the way he said it was dickish, and it's kind of fun to forumBBT somebody who is being a dick for literally no reason.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Jovolo said:
    I know Ernam gets a lot of hate here, but I have to say he's never come across to be a bigot. I saw it as him having misunderstood what Exelethril was saying and acted as defensive against perceived bigotry as you are in light of what Ernam said.

Pretty much exactly what happened.  Substitute out the following:
    If homophobia polygamy is your only incentive not to fast-travel, I say up it.  Lets make puppet travel trigger people's insecurity and fears ethical boundaries - maybe people will be less likely to spam it, as well.

I gotta say - chill man.  (@Kuy).  I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings.  The reason I mentioned homophobia is because this idea has been brought up countless times already, and the issue that is usually mentioned is "I don't like the message because why would my character have "true love" for another male character" or whatever.  The "suggestion" of being homophobic was more just a simple joke based on the fact that I despise fast-travel abilities, to the point where I'd (sarcastically) welcome any reason people find to not use it, to (sarcastically) include homophobia.

Sorry if that went over anyone's head, or (sarcastically), sorry if you see the word "homophobia" in my thread and immediately assume I'm making accusations or something.

• Kuy said:
    To clarify:  I doubt Ernam's intention was to assume that the two go hand-in-hand.  There are ignorant people, however, who do not know that the two words are different.
    Preeeeeeeeeeeetty sure I was entirely chill the whole time.  Just sayin'.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you