Marked for Death

2»

Comments

• Switching parry when you identify what your opponent is trying to break can disrupt momentum, but switching automatically is so exploitable.  

For example, if you can self-track limbs, switch parry to a nearly-prepped limb and watch them squirm around trying to figure out what the hell to do.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. 
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I never change my parry from left leg. Before it was changed, static left leg parry was the sensible option. Now  its more convenient to parry the last limb that was damaged and shield on arm breaks

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Probably worth switching but on the other hand a static parry guarantees that you're always saving a particular limb.
    I'd prefer saving a leg since most prep classes want you prone, and you can stand faster if you only have to cure one leg. They can break both arms to keep you from shielding but nothing deals more damage from having arms broken, so assuming you can tank their normal damage without shielding, should be able to cure the arms fast enough to get back into it just fine.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Daeir said:
    Random parry or weighted parry strats should be a huge fucking pain in the ass if executed properly. I've never seen one done properly, but statistics alone denotes that you could probably write something that would realistically achieve a 20% minimum proc rate, meaning you'd take that much longer to prep.

And the things you could do with automated parrying on a Blademaster nowadays.. Augment is so ridiculously dumb.

Better than that, really, since people aren't generally trying to prep all four limbs, plus torso. If you know they're going for just legs + torso, for example, you can random pick between those and have a 33% chance of parrying the correct body part at any given time.

I don't think automated parry is bad. Just don't pick the most predictable parry strat (last body part hit). Random parry, static parry, and semi-random parry can all be good. I also liked doing a combination of last hit and opposite last hit (do one strat for a bit, switch to the other once the enemy catches on). It will take more time for them to figure you out then, and you will get a lot of parries. This can all be automated.

• edited December 2014
    SHIN AUGMENT 50

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I absolutely love this idea for combat technique improvement. Kudos.