Ashtani RP logs

Comments

• CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited December 2014
    Jinsun said:
    Tibitha said:
    Jinsun said:
    I think one of the biggest problems is with how other cities approach Ashtan and Chaos. Often I try to roleplay with a distant relative in Targossas and the second I speak to them, I get spammed with tells and OOC messages from other characters about how if they speak with me, they'll be ousted from Targossas and how "I shouldn't try to fuck up their character." To the point that many approach me simply to ask what Nihilists believe and we have a calm, educational conversation where they actually learn. The isolationist RP of the religious cities really keeps newer players from getting out and learning. From what I gathered, most discussions involve "Chaos is bad, Mkayyyyy, and will kick you out if you speak to Jinsun." That's how it was back in the early 2000s when I had my first paladin in Shallam. I don't think a ton has changed. It makes it difficult for me to RP with them and educate them.
    That's weird, I haven't gotten that vibe at all. I've had some pretty in depth conversations about what Chaos is and so forth, I got given the Necromicon (sorry, I'm too lazy to go find it's real name) to read and was encouraged to seek out a Nihilist and question them.
    I've gotten weird results, and it may have more to do with house or what person the individual is studying under. With you, I got a polite request to talk, and we had a congenial, calm, and what I felt was a good conversation about Chaos. With Lauria, she was fine talking to me until one day I show up and she runs away and I get spammed with messages from Ruca about how I'll fuck up her character. Hated that day.
    See...I don't get that. Role playing is fun when spontaneous. Like when @Aegoth caused my character hell. I don't understand what is so bad about effecting another person's character in a deep , horrific ,or personal way.  I see Achaea as a game that is similar to real life that when you do crap..it lasts. It has real time effects on your character just as if you did in real life..It would effect you. I treat Achaea as a separate life where I can screw my character it make him  as as I want regardless of what other people do. You choose how things effect your character. Hell. Caoi fraternizes all the time. If you see something  that you do not like..it's a game.  People aren't always ass holes.  You can move to try and fix it. What fun is it if your character is  perfect? Who is like that in real life? No one. I like things to be realistic. And talking behind the scenes..I resist it if at all possible. Let things be natural. See what happens. It's like reading a book without an ending with your favorite character in it. Not saying you can't plan if you are doing something big. But for heaven's sake..it's a game. You can screw up. I do treat each decision as if it will effect me irl, but I also know just a game.  But maybe that's just me.

Point is...it's a game. Your character getting screwed over won't destroy the game for you. It won't effect you in real life. So try and actually have fun with it. 

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    Caoimhaen said:
    Jinsun said:
    Tibitha said:
    Jinsun said:
    I think one of the biggest problems is with how other cities approach Ashtan and Chaos. Often I try to roleplay with a distant relative in Targossas and the second I speak to them, I get spammed with tells and OOC messages from other characters about how if they speak with me, they'll be ousted from Targossas and how "I shouldn't try to fuck up their character." To the point that many approach me simply to ask what Nihilists believe and we have a calm, educational conversation where they actually learn. The isolationist RP of the religious cities really keeps newer players from getting out and learning. From what I gathered, most discussions involve "Chaos is bad, Mkayyyyy, and will kick you out if you speak to Jinsun." That's how it was back in the early 2000s when I had my first paladin in Shallam. I don't think a ton has changed. It makes it difficult for me to RP with them and educate them.
    That's weird, I haven't gotten that vibe at all. I've had some pretty in depth conversations about what Chaos is and so forth, I got given the Necromicon (sorry, I'm too lazy to go find it's real name) to read and was encouraged to seek out a Nihilist and question them.
    I've gotten weird results, and it may have more to do with house or what person the individual is studying under. With you, I got a polite request to talk, and we had a congenial, calm, and what I felt was a good conversation about Chaos. With Lauria, she was fine talking to me until one day I show up and she runs away and I get spammed with messages from Ruca about how I'll fuck up her character. Hated that day.
    See...I don't get that. Role playing is fun when spontaneous. Like when @Aegoth caused my character hell. I don't understand what is so bad about effecting another person's character in a deep , horrific ,or personal way.  I see Achaea as a game that is similar to real life that when you do crap..it lasts. It has real time effects on your character just as if you did in real life..It would effect you. I treat Achaea as a separate life where I can screw my character it make him  as as I want regardless of what other people do. You choose how things effect your character. Hell. Caoi fraternizes all the time. If you see something  that you do not like..it's a game.  People aren't always ass holes.  You can move to try and fix it. What fun is it if your character is  perfect? Who is like that in real life? No one. I like things to be realistic. And talking behind the scenes..I resist it if at all possible. Let things be natural. See what happens. It's like reading a book without an ending with your favorite character in it. Not saying you can't plan if you are doing something big. But for heaven's sake..it's a game. You can screw up. I do treat each decision as if it will effect me irl, but I also know just a game.  But maybe that's just me.

Point is...it's a game. Your character getting screwed over won't destroy the game for you. It won't effect you in real life. So try and actually have fun with it. 
    No character has to be perfect, but you are totally discounting a few things:
    • People oust or enemy people all the time for purely subjective reasons that don't reflect any actual RP that has transpired IC
    • Achaea is nothing like real-life. If you're 'fired' in real life without cause, you have the ability to seek recompense. You can sue and ask for a legal ruling and/or you can seek benefits to sustain you throughout the process of re-establishing yourself. In Achaea, you cannot. You're out and likely blacklisted for all time if you try to do so. There is no support for rogues whatsoever beyond clans that lack any connection to the Garden and you'll have a helluva time getting into a new city or org if you've been kicked from one in the past. 
    • People have invested RL money and time in their roleplay. If Bluef was forced to give up being a shaman, for instance, it would cost me thousands of RL dollars to re-outfit her properly IC. She would never be as complete as she is right now. This is my problem with organizations like Targossas and the way they gave shamans the boot without warning at their inception for no roleplayed reason and then turned around and claimed we could all just switch class. Sure we could; if we want to not be tri-trans anymore and have every single item we own become useless and ill-fitting. 
    I do understand that you're speaking of choosing to walk the line along one's faction and accepting consequences but that is not the most common reason why people are ousted. If it was, I doubt your character or a few others would still be Targoassian. 

I have to also say, I find this entire post to be a little odd too...considering that when Bluef berated Caoimhaen recently IC for his potential harmful impact on another character, his "I hate myself" slate of responses did not really follow the stoic logic you are presenting here and actually forced Bluef into tempering her response a bit in the end.

In short, I think people may not feel so bad about effecting another character this way until it happens to them. 
  • Caoimhaen said:
    Jinsun said:
    Tibitha said:
    Jinsun said:
    People aren't always ass holes. 
    I want to play the game you're playing.
  • Bluef said:
    Caoimhaen said:
    Jinsun said:
    Tibitha said:
    Jinsun said:

This is my problem with organizations like Targossas and the way they gave shamans the boot without warning at their inception for no roleplayed reason and then turned around and claimed we could all just switch class.
    Shaman are "Darkness" @Bluef don't you remember when we cut ourselves and made a pact with @Twilight for our souls? Apparently it happens when Certimene changes your class.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    Achimrst said:
     Shaman are "Darkness" @Bluef don't you remember when we cut ourselves and made a pact with @Twilight for our souls? Apparently it happens when Certimene changes your class.

This. This must happen. Re-write the AB scrolls!

HELP SHAMAN
    Shamanism draws from the dark side of mysticism and emotionality, allowing them to afflict their victims with wounds that nothing, not even time, assuages, ever.

Allies: Nihilists of Ashtan. Because it's all going to end anyway.

I could totally RP a goth Twinkie. I am going to start writing some emo poetry right now:

Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Sugar is sweet
    and so were you.

But the roses have wilted,
    and the violets are now dead.
    The sugar bowl's empty,
    and my wrists are stained red.

• Life is pain by Achimrst

Life is pain, oh the pain.
    Why, oh why.
    Curse your pride.

end

#EmoPoetry #Art #ShamanArt
  • It is @Kross fault I joined Ashtan. Power hungry bugger :(

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Atalkez said:
    It is @Kross fault I joined Ashtan. Power hungry bugger :(
    Who you blaming for buggering off to Mhaldor?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Atalkez said:
    But bebe we had some really good conversion talks. I really wish I kept a log of those.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2014
    Kross said:
    Bronislav said:
    It's strange, really - Bronislav was initially ambivalent regarding Ashtan when he was younger - and then when he noticed that most of Ashtan's leadership were raiding his home, he was a big advocate on banning Ashtani in general with entering Cyrene, to take other Ashtani to task in regard to their leadership (Obviously, the majority of the Senators disagreed with the young firebrand twice, along with most of the city). While Bronislav had distaste towards those who would intrude upon his nest, he had a strange sort of pity for those who were decent people under Ashtan's walls. Daslin left the Mojushai, and that disappointed Bron, but Daslin had said a few...Non-Mojushai things before leaving, so at least Bron could understand it.

Until Kross left. By the time he did, Bron was Otoji of the Mind, and Kross was Otoji of...Spirit, I believe? They had big plans to change the Mojushai for the better, and when Kross went to Ashtan out of the blue, he got a lot of scorn from Cyrene - arguably more than I'd have expected from a city of peace. And when Bron confronted him, he said, "Go ahead. Tell me how much you hate me. Everyone else has." And there was this moment, where Bron just presses his hand to Kross' shoulder, looks to him, and says, "Your finding the happiness in your life is what matters. Just...Please, promise me that you won't lose yourself. Be a good person. Remember the lessons that you've learned here, my friend. If you do that, I can never hate you." And Kross smiled, saying, "You know me better than that. I won't forget." They shook one another's hand, and then left as friends.

Fast-forward a bit. Kross and Bron really don't talk, during this time - the former begins raiding Targossas with the A-Team, while the latter is focused on hunting, selling things, getting more profit for his big, shiny artefacts. Bronislav assists Targossas in killing Ashtani on a known pirate ship, helps them defend their city. Kross warns Bronislav to leave the city, before the consequences become too dire (I'm paraphrasing), while Bronislav is essentially going, "Balls to that - you guys came here for a fight after trying to defend the Herald of the Void, you're asking for it." Bron gets enemied to Ashtan, after that.

Fast-forward to the day when Kross raids Cyrene along with the A-Team, yelling about how Cyrene's dependence on Devotion has enslaved them to the Light and to Targossas. Bronislav doesn't have any more words - they did a pretty fair raid, objectively speaking. Unless I'm mistaken, they managed to blow up one of room, and Bron was killed at least once. Kross mailed Bronislav his own ear - Bronislav mailed him something sentimental or another, like a snowglobe. The whole experience hurt the character, and gave him a certain...Harshness, with dealing with Ashtani in general - he doesn't hate them outright, but Bronislav doesn't trust them. He likely never will.

Bronislav hasn't spoken a word to Kross since that raid. This is intentional - for once in his life, the silver-tongued devil knows that his old Housemate is beyond words. Beyond sanity. And it was a lesson he would teach the younglings who would ask him of Ashtan, about an unnamed prodigal monk who had betrayed everything he had once held dear for the sake of glory.

Meanwhile, in the forums, the player behind Kross shit-talks Bronislav for calling guards too often.

I'd like to think that I take what I can from RP experiences - that's ultimately why I play this game. :smile: But I know that this game is different things for different people, and maybe the roleplay is emphasized less in Ashtan in favor of fighting. We can rip on those who emphasize it less all day, but it doesn't mean they love the game any less. Just sayin'.

tl;dr, OH HEY, I ROLEPLAY IN CYRENE. MAYBE PEOPLE WHO CARE MUCH MORE OR MUCH LESS ABOUT IT GO TO OTHER CITIES, LOLOLOLO
    Yeah, haha, that course of action as come quite a ways. I actually enjoy Kross' interactions with Bronislav in game. I just tease you for the guard stuff here because I can always count on it. Don't take too much offense to it, everyone gets a kick out of it. It just tickles me that you go through a process of wielding/unwielding practically everything to call for the guards, that's all. Verrucht calls guards the same amount, if not more. It's just he doesn't do it with such flair.

On to the progression of Kross. He's always been sort of bent on power and control of his ability. He's a very dominant style character. He maintains his respect, but just has less respect for those that don't progress or grow. He views Cyrene as a very stagnant entity, relying on others to move them at snail's pace. He felt this way while he was Cyrenian, and more strongly now. Kross has seen people he's known from Cyrene go in all sorts of directions, from @Kardal to Eleusis and @Saeva to Mhaldor. He wants to protect a city that will allow him to grow and advance. Cyrene couldn't do that for him. The Mojushai, for example, had no real way of progressing when the House Leader wasn't around enough to approve changes we proposed. The city has sat with the same leadership for 60+ IG years, with only recently changing out Senators. Kross doesn't like the stagnant nature of Cyrene, nor has he ever liked it. And as much as we all like to claim, "I'm going to make a difference.", the reality is it takes far longer the deeper the problem. And with that, Kross looked toward Ashtan as a beacon of progression and strength.

A lot of people just tell me I joined Ashtan so I could be a "cool kid" with Jhui and Co. When I first started considering it, I actually approached Jhui and had a bit of RP with him and the others (Namely Triak, who was the largest proponent of guiding Kross to Ashtan). And, as I expected, Cyrene was very upset at Kross leaving the city. I can only assume they were upset because they liked having Kross around, and wanted to garner more from him. But if that was the case, they would have ensured he stayed by rewarding him for his efforts. Efforts like being the youngest Captain in the City Guard. Being a leading combatant that Cyrene had, that could have been groomed for Minister of War or Security. Future Senator, Future Imperiate, future whatever.

Tl;Dr - Kross is very ambitious (as seen by his quick rise in Ashtan through city and House to become a House Leader at 36 years old). Cyrene couldn't (or wouldn't) progress in this way by any means. Since his time in Ashtan, though, he has definitely taken a more dominant stance over the rest of Sapience and how he interacts with them. It's just the direction I wanted Kross to go. And despite the frustration of dealing with guards, along with tittering under my breath when @Bronislav wields his dirk and whip to call them, I still like the Cyrenian people as a person. Kross even still interact slightly with the few that will talk to him.
    This is such a long story with so much attached to it, but I will say that at least for Melodie, Kross suddenly leaving for Ashtan was a huge blow to her, and brought out some of her worst attitudes I've seen directed at anyone... but also laid the foundation of doubt for her eventual departure from the city she spent almost two hundred and fifty years in. 

Flair tried so hard to get me to go to Ashtan (OOCly, that is - they still mostly spit venom at each other in-character) when I had already made my plans for Mhaldor and was in the process of moving things around to get ready for that. I considered it heavily, because a) I adore Flair, and b) I knew it'd be interesting to see Kross. But Mhaldor had quite a few reasons more going for it, so it didn't quite work out that way.

I actually also (#realtalk here) had an alt in Ashtan for a while, about a year and a half ago. I know Ashtan roleplays, and they can do it very well. I even got to have a very small chat with Tanris, something I sort of treasure. I also got to meet (and play a role in the lives of) a lot of the bigwigs in Ashtan. I even got to see a court case something something. Ashtan really does have quite an interesting history, and moreover tons of potential.

I really hope people will take advantage of that, to bring a better public face to the city in time. And I wish you all the best with it, too.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2014
    I mean this is the nicest possible way: Please go to bed, Sybilla. You're drunk.
  • Klendathu said:
    Atalkez said:
    Who you blaming for buggering off to Mhaldor?
    All the fools that didn't vote for @Kross and @Jhui. My news post should have been pretty clear!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Sybilla said:
    Ok, I was going to stay completely hands off on this, but it's Friday night and I've had too little sleep and too much drink, so here we go-

I hear you like confrontation, Jinsun, and I'll graciously oblige. I love how you need so desperately to prove yourself, simultaneously resulting in being an utter untreatable blockhead, and looking pathetic like some forlorn soul who nobody quite understands. The log with Mariya was a definite treat, I especially like that you snipped the parts where she called you out for your lack of respect and failure to work civilly, but hey, as long as you got what you want right?

Your entire modus operandi consists entirely of starting shit for the sake of starting shit. I can't begin to impart what a delight it is to work with as members of shared organisations, all those well-timed emotes like sparkling eyes or smirking when you've been asked of something, and all those thrillingly concerned Housetells when it chances that something doesn't quite conform to Jinsun's view of the perfect world. Oh, but of course you send private tells when it comes to praise or checking progress, alas it is only the vitriolic (you're welcome, I'm glad you know how to use that word too) barbed comments that make it through for public consumption.

I'm ever so sorry that I haven't logged in for 18 hours straight lately, this was very obviously borne of a desire to see the Occultists fail, and not because I was mourning my pet hedgehog dying in my hands. Or my partner having heart problems. While I'm at it, I'm sorry I went on holiday this year, or that I've had lulls in activity when I had news of family death, cancer, and miscellaneous illness. I am certain that you, with your two jobs and impeccable sobriety are entirely immune to such concerns, and would thus be better suited to attend to admin work rather than raiding for hours straight, or enjoying your ship, or heavens! even engage with the playerbase who universally adores you. 

Why, to think I could have dared to let even one thing slip since the early days is clearly preposterous. Surely I need to just look to you for example, who has worked so tirelessly to become the hailed head of combat path (no word on Hirst's dip in activity and burning out, that was mere happenstance), that you so courteously took on every task assigned. I'm certain that those Enemying lists and terms I'd asked in Mayan 652 - oh look, the year I became Demiurge, fancy that - have merely been misplaced. Not to mention the reams of scrolls you've updated...

Ah, but where am I. You're not heartless. I let it known [on forums, OOCly no less!] that I am stressed and in need of support and not dissent, that I need people to coordinate and work together, so I get those darling letters filled with rum and platitudes telling me to relax. How thoughtful to link the two together. If my character is drinking, why, surely any baggage from real life must melt away at once!

But let me just remember something Verily shared once, oh maybe after yet another HT outburst.

Message #4710       Sent by Jinsun
    8/21/22:41 OOC: Me too! We'll see, now just looking for a job. Also, I'm never actually mad at Syb, she's a sweet girl, I do like confrontation, though. I feel it gives depths to character if handled calmly and not in a silly or abusive manner.

Nothing silly or abusive about claiming that I am singlehandedly responsible for every single person going dormant, or wanting to classchange, OR GOD FORBID MAKING SHAMAN ALTS IN SPIRITWALKERS!!!!!11

Message #1106       Sent by Jinsun
    11/26/23:52 OOC: it's ok. I'm doing everything I can to find -something- to stir us. I considered 
    contesting you just so that the drama would wake people up. I didn't, but I have learned drama 
    drives RP like no ones business.

Because there has been nothing but RP from your completely selfless, non-ambitious little bitchfit you threw when I used ONE turn of phrase?

Oh darling how I laughed and laughed when people told me they don't want to log in anymore because they "don't want to deal with Jinsun's crap". And laughed all the more when they said they're considering quitting if you become HL. 

I love how all your wondrous ideas are shared with everyone but the people that matter, you manage to write the most incensing bullshit and talk people down, but heavens forbid you actually put forward anything positive, or engaging, or fun. Keep bitching about how you hate Vastar, when he's the best RP we've had in Ashtan in -years- if you'd bothered to look for it rather than give your smarmy bloody responses to everything and anything that can't have a slackjawed drooling "bebe" attached to it.

You think your shit don't stink, but it does.

You can take your RP, and go fuck yourself.
    You are not the only one with a stressful OOC life. Yes positions like Demiurge are stressful. Yes, you get a lot of grief when things go wrong. No, this was not an appropriate response.
  • edited December 2014
    Sybilla said:
    -smack down-

Fitting.
  • Daslin said:
    You are kinda going full-Amunet right about now.
    You saying that like it's a bad thing. Anyone who thinks 'stirring up drama' is a desirable goal needs to be destroyed, ideally before they take over an org and steer it into the ground.

• Daslin said:
    You saying that like it's a bad thing. Anyone who thinks 'stirring up drama' is a desirable goal needs to be destroyed, ideally before they take over an org and steer it into the ground.
    Because seeing old house members turn up, the house jump up in influence by two ranks and finally see active debate is such a horrible thing for a house.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Lol. I'm inclined to agree with Jinsun a bit on this. The Occies were... well, dead. Jinsun stirred up some drama, Occies aren't so dead anymore.
  • worked p well for shallam
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Jinsun said:
    Daslin said:
    Because seeing old house members turn up, the house jump up in influence by two ranks and finally see active debate is such a horrible thing for a house.
    If the debate is about the drama itself, and is unrelated to the House's mission, there's no value in it. It risks jading people where you should instead be trying to get them feeling enthusiastic about real House business.

If the drama results in people leaving the org, then it is absolutely a horrible thing for the House. Contestations often have this effect. A high-ranking member contests the HM. An adversarial relationship is created, because you have to say what you think the HM is doing wrong if you want people to vote for you instead of them. Whoever wins, the loser often feels they no longer have a place in the House, and can't work with the replacing/continuing HM. So they leave, and the House loses a high-ranking member who was probably a valuable, involved player.

Instability often prevents much else from happening for the duration, as people are either busy, distracted, or unsure whether the hierarchy will change after the election is over.

Instability can continue for weeks afterwards, as new leaders often have big ideas about redoing novicehood, advancement paths, membership structures etc, often unnecessarily.

Once the drama fizzles out, chances are the activity will fade away with it.

Frankly the type of person who thinks 'stirring up drama' is a good thing will probably have a lot of other bad ideas too.

Any other way of boosting org activity is better. Run events, roleplay, drag people out to go do stuff, design programs to manipulate people into activity, go recruiting. If it's ever possible, working with someone is better than working against them.
    I'll be brief because I'm not going to feed what has been said before. I had tried opening up good debate or approaching individuals calmly and civilly. I work very closely with some house members and try to help everyone. The debate has actually -finally- moved towards what we can do instead of the many tells I got from members asking why we were doing nothing shortly before they quit the house. Trust me, I didn't do this to be a dick and have fun. I love the Occultists. Probably more than I should.
  • Visited the Temple of the Sky, looking for some study on Vastar's Stormshapers. What followed was a brief but entertaining discussion with Aralt, the Stormshaper in His temple. http://pastebin.com/cggRasJy RP GAIZ.
This discussion has been closed.