City vs City combat

Hope Ashtan doesn't kill me for this

Also this is just an opinion

Ashtan seems to be op, im sure we can all agree on this. Two cities would ideally have to partner up with each other in order to effectively challenge Ashtan. The best combination of this would have to be Targ and Mhaldor vs Ashtan (impossible), Targ and Eleusis vs Ashtan (more likely) or Eleusis and Mhaldor vs Ashtan (also impossible). No disrespect to Hashan or Cyrene but you guys aren't that kind of city yet.

Now obviously this isn't the best situation for anyone who isn't Ashtan, to have to work with another city to do anything significant, we've heard the boohooing. Anyway, my proposal is during renaissance, or whenever, you split Ashtan. Ashtan gets destroyed (based on lore presented to me) one day in the future. If you were to split City of Freedom and City of Chaos, I think Ashtan would divide its combatant #'s enough to balance things out a little more. 

Comments

• hmm, Ashtan's fine imo. @Jhui‌ is not.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    edited November 2014
    Ashtan's been basically in the same situation since 1997, so far as I know.

Edit: It makes for a pretty monochromatic storyline.
  • we're not that OP, other cities just suck at keeping their fighters engaged (actually wanting to log in, because shit will be happening).

I hear so many people say they are bored and basically play other games while just being logged into Achaea.  I try to play Achaea, instead.  More people should try this.

Currently, Mhaldor is OP for non-fighters. That shit is thriving there because they are creating a solid environment where you actually do shit when you log in.

Ideally, there would be a nice mesh, but currently we just do a good job of keeping the fighters logging in and having fun.  Absolutely nothing is stopping other cities from doing this.  Someone just has to actually want to play this game over other ones.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Although I agree in the most part with what @Jhui‌ is saying, there's also the nagging thought that "keeping fighters engaged" means there has to be an element of fun for them too. It's probably not fun to have the A-train roll over you every time you look at one of them in a funny way. Keep the responses proportionate, fun can be had by all.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Gee, what has everyone else been doing wrong for 20 years?
  • Klendathu said:
    Although I agree in the most part with what @Jhui‌ is saying, there's also the nagging thought that "keeping fighters engaged" means there has to be an element of fun for them too. It's probably not fun to have the A-train roll over you every time you look at one of them in a funny way. Keep the responses proportionate, fun can be had by all.
    You're succumbing to the forum propaganda that we curbstomp everyone until they stop having fun.  You're not the only one and it's half the reason why we do so well.  People just get super upset when they lose and adopt this mentality and assume there's nothing they can do about it.  We take our losses, too.  We just don't throw bitchfits and resort straight to OOC mechanisms (forums/clans) to make the other side feel bad.  We sack up, get better, and eventually we get to the point where 4v12 is considered a fair fight (these are the most fun).

I know this is going to derail into a million different things that people don't like that we do, but I'd rather it not.

Remember, this is a game.  Games are games because they are generally competitive and require certain kinds of skills to excel in.  You can't just pretend to be good at them and complain when you're not as good as you think.  You actually have to do things to be good at them, whether it be RP or combat or both.
    edited November 2014
    Jhui said:
    Klendathu said:
    People just get super upset when they lose and adopt this mentality and assume there's nothing they can do about it.  We take our losses, too.  

I don't think Ashtan's been on the losing side of an equation vis-a-vis another faction since I've been playing. How about you?

Edit: My point is that chalking up Ashtan's fortunes to the brilliant decisionmaking of some players and the ineptitude of others ignores the real possibility that there are structural reasons that account for the Yankee's perennial trip to the World Series.
  • edited November 2014
    what is a loss?

To elaborate:  We lose tanks like it's our job, but we don't give a fuck as long as we're having fun doing so.

We lost the reckoning, but I had a blast.

Are people so worried about losing (dying) that they just don't do things?
  • edited November 2014
    It's unwise to ever "beat" Ashtan because of the implicit 30-man Dragon/Monk raids that happen every time they do. 

Literally every time.

:)
    No no, I am in a different position from many others, in that I see some of what goes on behind the scenes. I know there's restraint on occasion, but I also see when things are starting to get to a point where it ceases to be fun for anyone other than those on the "winning" side.

As for becoming good, I speak from personal experience that the learning curve to be able to compete in PvP is pretty steep, regardless of artefacts etc.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Uh what. 

1.) We never bring that many people to a raid.
    2.) Monks are pretty shitty now
    3.) We have like two raiding monks
    4.) Are you high?

edited November 2014

It's what the rest of us roleplay inbetween lectures on how Ashtan just tries so much harder than the plebs.

edit: @Jhui

edit2: Along those lines, if you're not worried about dying/losing why not demonstrate the courage of your convictions and move to Hashan/Targossas/Mhaldor/Eleusis/Cyrene for a spell and show us all how great your attitude is even in defeat!

• This player vs forum shit is getting old. Just play the game.

• Dunn said:
    Uh what. 

1.) We never bring that many people to a raid.
    2.) Monks are pretty shitty now
    3.) We have like two raiding monks
    4.) Are you high?
    If it isn't happening right this moment, it never happened!!! I'm not high.

Klendathu said:
    No no, I am in a different position from many others, in that I see some of what goes on behind the scenes. I know there's restraint on occasion, but I also see when things are starting to get to a point where it ceases to be fun for anyone other than those on the "winning" side.

As for becoming good, I speak from personal experience that the learning curve to be able to compete in PvP is pretty steep, regardless of artefacts etc.
    I guarantee that artefacts are a very large part of what makes most of the people that are considered "good", in fact "good".
  • Klendathu said:

I got RP griefed yesterday by some noob.  Asked me some difficult questions.  I was definitely on the losing side of that and it was never fun for me the whole time, but I was happy I did it and got it over with.

There can't always be two happy sides.  We also can't always be focused on making the other side happy.  Killing people makes them unhappy most of the time, so the only alternative is to let them kill us or not do anything.  I do, however, feel that we go into almost every situation hoping to keep the other side interested in coming back and fighting.
    Jovolo said:
    I guarantee that artefacts are a very large part of what makes most of the people that are considered "good", in fact "good".
    Damn. I've got the artefacts, I'm just not good :cry: (yet...)

Dunn said:
    This player vs forum shit is getting old. Just play the game.

Nobody's forcing you to read the forums, honey. Take your advice.  
  • edited November 2014
    L o L.

Okay, buddy. I guess when you can only excel here then you have to take it a bit more seriously.

• Oooooo, buuurn. He got you good there, Herenicus.
  • edited November 2014
    Gosh, this got rude quickly.  And really, New!Herenicus is a pussy-cat.  Time was, he'd have picture-griefed you right into the whaambulance. 

Ashtan is Ashtan, and it doesn't look like it's ever going to change.  And really, if you're going to try and maintain that Ashtan loses like everyone else, and they just deal with it better, you're going to look silly.  That's not to say, Ashtan isn't fair, reasonable, and has excellent raid-etiquette.  Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't - I dunno, I don't really play any more, but that's far more comfortable ground to stand on.

Ashtan has really, from a factional point of view, looked the same for years and years and years.  My perspective on it is that I don't really understand why Ashtan doesn't do something *interesting* with all that power.  Rather than just sitting back and being all Ashtany with it.  I mean, I suppose the moment it tried to do that, it would be playing by the same factional rules as everyone else and so would probably stop having access to all that power, but still.  Being Ashtani always looked like easy mode to me.  And boring.  Occultisty, Babely goodness aside I suppose, but that never really seems to feed into their geopolitics. 

ETA: Editing out the fun insults isn't playing fair at all.  >:/ @Dunn
  • That will all change if @Tecton ever gets back to me about renaissance!

• DON'T YOU TEASE ME IF YOU DON'T MEAN IT
  • I MEAN IT. Work in progress. Completely understand that it looks like a standstill from the outside, though.

• I pronounce myself moderately intrigued.  We shall watch your career with great interest, young jedi.
  • No one's forcing you to play with the losing team, honey.

If anything, @Jhui is the only one that moved to the winning team because the 'winning team' in its entirety moved from being Mhaldor/Ashtan (AKA Team Red) to being Ashtani.

But we all know Jhui is a sellout. Saw him wearing an entire Nike outfit once.

• Dunn said:
    No one's forcing you to play with the losing team, honey.

If anything, @Jhui is the only one that moved to the winning team because the 'winning team' in its entirety moved from being Mhaldor/Ashtan (AKA Team Red) to being Ashtani.

But we all know Jhui is a sellout. Saw him wearing an entire Nike outfit once.
    troooth, but tbf, I did send that bus to mow down Tanris before I joined.  There's a limit to my sellout-ness
This discussion has been closed.