Aural Earring - Lets change it, finally!

MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
edited November 2014 in The Golden Dais of Creation
This is not the first thread on this but to hell with it, after a long discussion with various Ashtani on an OOC clan and generally grumbling about other things, the one thing we can all agree about is: Not being able to hear shouts while deaf sucks, and having a 150 credit artefact to fix it is worse.

Option 1 - Delete/re-purpose aural earring. Make the mindseye tattoo include hearing shouts while deaf.

Option 2 - Delete/re-purpose aural earring. Make hearing enchantment hear shouts while deaf. Fades per normal enchantments. Preferably able to enchant on existing earrings, if this is not already the case (I hate creating new items via enchantments).

Option 3 - Some other option I didn't think of that still involves being able to hear shouts while deaf without the need of spending 150 credits for a silly artefact of no other purpose.

Feel free to provide random re-purpose ideas for the aural earring, if you like.

Goonswarm, go!
And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby

Comments

• word.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    edited November 2014
    And not every man feels himself fashion-forward enough to rock earrings. 

Edit: We hear more whispers than shouts. Ain't right. 
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Melodie said:
    <snip> Preferably able to enchant on existing earrings, if this is not already the case (I hate creating new items via enchantments).

<snip>

Type:
       Enchanted on earrings.

already the case!
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Herenicus said:
    And not every man feels himself fashion-forward enough to rock earrings.
    Mhaldorian men, on the other hand...

http://gothsuptrees.net/

~Kresslack's obsession~
  • The biggest problem I've always had with the aural earring, is that even if a few people DO buy it, most of the player base knows that most of the player base can't hear them... soooo, there you are with your silly earring, no doubt hearing the shouts of those few people who don't realize that almost no one can hear them, so you've got that going for you.  At least the player base seems to have come around on the idea, so maybe admin will too.  
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Possible repurpose for aural earring - a permanent necklace-of-translation or whatever the hell it's called (comprehension? something), the enchantment that allows you understand all languages. You know, turn it into Achaea's Babel fish.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    There is already an auction item that's been sold more than once that makes you fluent in the possible languages. Not sure if they'd take an auction item and make it something able to be regularly bought.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    If artefacts are changed in a major fashion (this would be considered major, since it's a 100% re-purpose), they usually tend to offer a full refund to those who wish.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Just buy an aural earring and stop being such a poor person.

The fashion conscious among us can solve their dilemma with the accompanying orb of suppression, at an exorbitantly reasonable 500cr.

Daddy @Sarapis got u covered son.

• Oh... I cant hear shouts? Well that kind of sucks.
  • I'm curious.  Do world or regional events get missed, by being deaf?  I keep finding out from people, that "XYZ" happened last month, and I had been online a good 12 hours that month. Anyways, it's just sad, that we have to be deaf, for security reasons, yet we need mindseye and an aural earring to get back our full range of hearing.  Not saying it's a bad deal though....our auto curing systems, keeping defenses up, already make shadowy classes work twice as hard to use their class skills.  Paying that little extra money in credits, to make it like you aren't even deaf at all, doesn't seem a horrible cost, when you've basically bought it and thumbed your nose at anyone who can use hearing in their class skills to make you do things, or stun you.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    NPC shouts, generally, aren't masked, but you do miss out on gems of wisdom from reknowned shouters (-eye @Aodfionn‌ -)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Silas said:
    Just buy an aural earring and stop being such a poor person.

The fashion conscious among us can solve their dilemma with the accompanying orb of suppression, at an exorbitantly reasonable 500cr.

Daddy @Sarapis got u covered son.

$254.99 to take part in a conversation that few people hear :(
    Aural earring is 150 cr, so $70 with enough spare credits to customise it should you so wish. And yes, I know it's still money. And yes, I know not everyone can / wants to buy OOC credits

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    edited November 2014
    My figure includes the orb of supression, but a better point is that Aural Earrings rate so far down the list of artefacts people buy that you're stuck chatting with the handful of players who have run out of things to spend money on.
    There's no real need for people not actively engaging in combat to be deaf all the time, it's personal choice, just like purchasing the aural earring is personal choice. I have by no means "run out of things to spend money on", I purchased one for the exact purpose of hearing shouts when deaf as I found it highly irritating to hear only parts of converstations. If you don't see the value in the artefact, that's absolutely fine, but don't besmirch those who do

Please don't feel smirched; I think it's fair to assume that the earrings came after lessons and several artefacts. If that's the sort of person who buys an Aural Earring, it helps explain why the OP's agree/disagree ratio is where it is.
  • That's more because Achaea is full of poor people.

You have my pity, peasants and paupers alike.

edited November 2014
    Klendathu said:
    There's no real need for people not actively engaging in combat to be deaf all the time, it's personal choice, just like purchasing the aural earring is personal choice. I have by no means "run out of things to spend money on", I purchased one for the exact purpose of hearing shouts when deaf as I found it highly irritating to hear only parts of converstations. If you don't see the value in the artefact, that's absolutely fine, but don't besmirch those who do
    It's a personal choice in some places, and more of a lifestyle (or a life hazard!) in others. See: Mhaldor, Targossas, and anyone in the Mark system.

It's fine that you find it reasonable. For the majority of Achaeans, it's not something that should be a "perk" more than it should just be apart of the norm, due to encouraging roleplay in general, something that helps keep the game invigorated. The reason I mentioned Ashtani in the OP, in fact, was because we were talking about how Dunn often shouts about this and that during raids, but how we (Mhaldor) never hear it because there is no way you're going to face a group of raiders without deafness.

I keep deafness down often, but I absolutely cannot do that in the middle of a raid or aggressive situation, which is why I wanted the change in the first place. Shouts can be quite interesting, but living is more important, and paying a hundred and fifty credits for such a simple change is on the silly scale more than the useful scale. There are quite a few ways to re-purpose the earring for other uses, and if nothing else, you can get a refund and spend your credits elsewhere.

I don't really see where any issue lies.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited November 2014
    Does the aural earring enchantment work the same way as the artefact?

Edit: I mean these:

earring364541 a fiery phoenix feather earring             1    2550gp
                       (Hearing while deaf)
          earring364688 a licking flame earring                         1    2550gp
                       (Hearing while deaf)
          earring366859 a flaming scimitar earring                    1    2125gp
                       (Hearing while deaf)
          earring366927 a holy pyre earring                            1    2550gp
                       (Hearing while deaf)

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
    It does not. It allows you hear while deaf, but it still prevents shouts from being heard. Since mindseye also provides seeing while blind, it's more or less useless, unfortunately.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    it used to allow hearing yells, not sure if that's still the case
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Tharvis said:
    it used to allow hearing yells, not sure if that's still the case
    Might be the case, but you can still hear yells via mindseye too. Just not shouts.
  • Maybe make it so mindseye/enchantment allow you to hear shouts originating within your area and the adjacent area? That way combat shouts would still be able to be heard, but there's still incentive to either buying the artefact or making sure you drop deaf as soon as you get the chance? 

Too much bandaid fix.

Moreover, people will shout from city to city during combat too - people travel back to city for safety all the time, so it's just kind of a limiter that does not really provide any real meaning, not in this day and age of earrings, vodun/puppetry, pathfinder/hermit, deliverance, empress/lust, transverse, etc.
    Melodie said:
    Klendathu said:
    There's no real need for people not actively engaging in combat to be deaf all the time...
    It's a personal choice in some places, and more of a lifestyle (or a life hazard!) in others. See: Mhaldor, Targossas, and anyone in the Mark system..
    To go back to the OP:
    Melodie said:
    Not being able to hear shouts while deaf sucks, and having a 150 credit artefact to fix it is worse.
    My point still stands, you don't have to be deaf all the time, and there is an artefact to counter it if you chose to buy it. It's no different to any of the other "convenience" artefacts, it means you can do something people without the artefact can't.