Magi Classleads/Skillset

Comments

• When classleads were coming out, I wondered why Sylvan gets hailstorm, but Magi didn't get rainstorm. It's not particulary Sylvan-y, and it gives some firewall negation to every faction. I have no idea why that didn't happen.
  • Just give us heartseed/Viridian. 

• even I know heartseed would be stupid for Magi. Sylvan are stupid, yes, but at least they can't retard/heartseed
  • Nope. would be awesome. 

• Alrena said:
    When classleads were coming out, I wondered why Sylvan gets hailstorm, but Magi didn't get rainstorm. It's not particulary Sylvan-y, and it gives some firewall negation to every faction. I have no idea why that didn't happen.
    Sylvans have about 5 unique abilities. Everything else is shared with either druids or magi. On principle alone, they don't need one less.
  • Magi requires the ability to give impatience. Not really but that'd be super cool. Magi true lock pls

• K stop trolling.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I thought this was a troll thread

• KyrtonKyrton California
    I'm not a magi obviously, but since magi are supposed to be balanced around elementalism and crystalism already* then there would appear to be two options: 1) weaken elementalism and crystalism but balance those two with whatever the third skill will be against the current classes/combat needs. or 2) give magi a skill that is more related to utility type stuff/healing/elemental themed stuff

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

• No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no magi is balanced.

• Lol, @Mithridates we can't kill everyone with unavoidable setups while hindering them beyond any hope of escape. Clearly not balanced. We need viridian at a minimum.

and @Kyrton if they mess with my elementalism or retardation I'll stonefist punch you to death.

I'd love some cool flavor stuff though, as enchantment doesn't seem like it will ever make me money, and I'm awful at it. And it's boring.

• If you're trying to tell me that retardation and full vibes hinder beyond any hope of escape you.are.doing.it.wrong.

• When you turn magi fights into a tumble onto monolith war it gets annoying. It is nasty, yes, but your assuming people stay in the room.

• I think a great change that would be simple is if freeze ground worked like banana peel, or proned

• I think a great change that would be simple is if freeze ground worked like banana peel, or proned
    Don't care, will evade either way!
  • Evades different

• Magi doesn't need piety.
  • edited April 2014
    I was thinking of having crystalism vibes have reduced passive effects but have abilities that can be activated and have a eq cost etc, but I haven't had time to fully think it out. The idea would be to perhaps open up out of ret strategies and make passive vibes in ret less deadly but giving magi something active to work with instead kf just sitting there and letting passive vibes go to work etc.

• Another potential route is to really beef up some existing vibes or introduce new powerful ones to allow different strategies (limb breaks, aff locks, damage, etc.) and make the ones from each set mutually exclusive to each other. So you can spin one vibe from four in category A, one from four in category B, etc.
  • A viable alternative to retardation would be nice

• Lightning should be capable of targeting denizens
  • Those are really cool ideas Ravana.

• I like it.  Magi are going to lose Enchantment at some point, and that's the most original idea for a replacement skillset I've heard.

Delaying herb/mineral balance is doable, a lot of abilities already do it.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • I was pondering the idea of making individual vibes faster but limiting the number active, so you have more specific objectives than just 'stack a whole bunch of stuff'. I think the occie and shaman changes have headed in that direction so we might expect more of it.

As for the replacement skill, I imagine either:
    - more elemental control
    - more physical staff combat (battlemage), less likely
    - other room/area control
    - an additional balance

The only thing that really lacks (and the reason people only have retardation to complain about/look forward to) is closing ability outside retardation. The only way to outdamage someone high level is by using retardation or a lucky holocaust bomb, which happens to equally damage the mage. Crystalism itself does nearly nothing outside retardation except some damage points, which is intended of course, since meaningful ongoing afflictions would be silly.
  • Xith said:
    Xith said:
    Anyway, moving on to the mysterious 3rd skillset.

Had some ideas for abilities to add. These are designed to aid Magi's attacks outside retardation while providing limited benefit in Retardation due to timing factors.
    Infuse <element>: Saturates the [battle]staff with the element, which is then transferred to the target on-hit. Could also be infused directly into the target but I think the two-step process balances better for retardation. Infusing adds a level of the element's influence into the target. Each level will fade after 18 seconds of contact (max 6 levels), and while above 3 levels, a particular effect is granted (similar to tempered humours). (3s BAL on the ability) Effects as follows:
    Earth: Limbs too heavy to parry. Also cancels (not strips) levitation's effect
    + - staffstrike, geyser/gravity/tremors
    Water: Icy skin causes double salve balance (except restoration)
    + - deepfreeze, efreeti/staffstrikefire, freeze
    Fire: Causes bayberry/hawthorn/moss to disintegrate in target's mouth.
    + - transfix, stridulation, general damage
    Air: Cancels (not strips) mass's effect.
    + - adduction, [Cyclone - see below]

Couple other ideas for Elementalism or whatever:
    Cyclone - lifts unmassed enemies into the sky.
    Thunderbolt - Moderate damage to enemies on the ground, greatly increased damage to flying enemies

Quoting to bring to Page 6. :P

So basically, Earth aids with prep, fittingly. Water aids with afflictions that help damage/hinder. Fire aids in hindering and slowing healing. Air -- as usual -- helps bypass defenses and escapes.

We've also got Erode, Lightning, and Dissonance that strip defenses. We're better strippers (lol) than almost any other class. Adding more ways to capitalize on missing defenses would be cool. So instead of chasing herbs/salves for purposes of afflicting, it's just to keep defenses down to make bigger damage and things. 

So if you Infuse Water in someone, deepfreeze (~3.0 with Aldar) will consume 4s of target's salve balance instead of 2s. And since infuse only affects one target it doesn't make the freeze any more useful against multiple opponents. Normal freeze is about 2.3 with Aldar, so it'd actually be slower than the salve balance. Staffstrike is 3.0 balance.

The only tricky thing is ablaze, the ablaze affliction is so easy to cure that it has no particular use outside retardation. Magi have two ways to give the aff but no way to capitalize on it. Maybe keeping a target ablaze could negate their frost defense?
    So I was thinking of ways that seemingly innocuous skills could be made temporarily useful outside retardation, like gust, transfix, deepfreeze, adduction, geyser, etc.
    For example, while geyser is great for hindering, it can't be used in a damage strategy because people have their levitation up constantly. By creating something that 'negates' mass temporarily, and adding something that sends unmassed enemies into the sky, you give geyser and gravity that purpose, if only for one strategy.
  • Alrena said:
    When classleads were coming out, I wondered why Sylvan gets hailstorm, but Magi didn't get rainstorm. It's not particulary Sylvan-y, and it gives some firewall negation to every faction. I have no idea why that didn't happen.
    Sylvans have about 5 unique abilities. Everything else is shared with either druids or magi. On principle alone, they don't need one less.
    Also he brought up a good point. I can see Sylvans having Elementalism replaced with something that still contains Viridian and similar abilities. Overlapping skills make sense for classes that are related (Infernal/Apostate) (Paladin/Priest), but for example Runewardens and Shamans had no particular tie except Runelore and even that didn't make much sense.
    Making as many classes self-containing as possible is probably the next step. Except they did say Forestals would be getting skills that are part shared and part unique.

Anyway this ties back into Magi because whatever elemental skills do or don't go to Sylvan will come to Magi. On the other hand, Elementalism might be replaced for Magi if it's deemed more nature-suited than 'Arcane' or whatever magic Magi are supposed to be.
    On the third hand, I'm tired and overthinking things.
  • Wait I have one more idea:
    Shaman's new skill included SOULSCOURGE, which lets you destroy a puppet in order to activate one of its abilities in tandem with a curse.
    People have mentioned being able to actively proc a vibe. What if you could destroy a vibe and cause a greater version of its passive effects? Like a forced adduction, a triple amnesia, etc. Technically Energise already works this way when you absorb it.
  • edited November 2014

Honestly, magi is already one of the only classes that makes me seriously concerned about the outcome of 1v1 combat.  Upgrades just seem... unnecessary.

Full vibes + retardation is already RNG victory 100% of the time, some of the time (ie. sometimes).  That, on top of some of the best damage mitigation, passive/active curing, and DPS output...

I think it's fine, honestly.  Reducing some of the ridiculous RNG unstoppable kill tactics in favor of some more "difficult" but more complicated setups would be great IMO, but the only way I'd ever see Magi getting even more abilities (aka buffs) is at the expense of something else.