As per ANNOUNCE #2586, how do priest blessings work now with the Church gone?

Are the Church and Shallam unified as  Targossas?

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Hey, girl."

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

Best Answers

Answers

• edited November 2014
    I've tried to find the answer to this too, I haven't found anyone who knows or a priest to test it with (and I didn't think to look into it on the test server).
  • According to the Diaspora, basically you can give Blessings to anybody neutral to or allied with Targossas.  Blessing an enemy of Targossas is no-go, Blessing an Apostate/Infernal/Shaman/Occultist is likewise a no.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Addama said:
    According to the Diaspora, basically you can give Blessings to anybody neutral to or allied with Targossas.  Blessing an enemy of Targossas is no-go, Blessing an Apostate/Infernal/Shaman/Occultist is likewise a no.
    Since when? I have blessings!
  • edited November 2014
    Addama said:
    According to the Diaspora, basically you can give Blessings to anybody neutral to or allied with Targossas.  Blessing an enemy of Targossas is no-go, Blessing an Apostate/Infernal/Shaman/Occultist is likewise a no.
    This is about the mechanical effects, not policy. Do all non-priests get 1/3 benefit from blessings? Does Targossas replace the Church for the purposes of blessings (so Targossians get full benefit, allies get 2/3, enemies get none)?
  • edited November 2014
    Awesome @Tecton!

Allies of the priest, or just org allies?

I am assuming you mean only allies of Targossa, which is odd (how is that tracked in-game), because there are priests who aren't apart of Targossa and are morally good characters. Milabar comes to mind.

Is the alignment system still in effect, because I thought it played a part in receiving blessings in the past.

How does one become an ally of targossas?

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Alignment bit the dust pretty early into my Achaea career, maybe when Mel was 40-60 or so? So maybe 2007 sometime, possibly as late as 2008. Good thing too, that crap used to tick me off, having to hunt the ogres first because they'd bring my alignment down towards theirs (neutral) and then bashing evil-aligned orcs to bring it back to seraphim or whatever it was. Madness, I tell you.

As to @Tecton's answer, that's very curious. Does that mean a Cyrenian not allied to Targossas basically gets 0 benefit from a priest's blessings, despite the two classes being accepted in Cyrene? I won't say whether that's a good or bad thing, but I definitely find it interesting and somewhat awkward.

Not my battle to determine, of course, just seems strange.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    Targossas doesn't accept a lot of allies.  You have to be basically a couple of things.  I'd like to know the answer to allies as well.  I have a couple of people I bless when they ask who are cyrenian and I'd hate to find out because they aren't allied to Targossas they don't get it.
  • edited November 2014
    It is a bit awkward as @Melodie‌ pointed out: to allow priests in a city and then have another city make demands of them. Cyrene is politically Neutral and aligns with Good: no darkness, no evil, no chaos. But you can't be both according to Targossas. Being a priest in Cyrene would mean something entirely different than being a priest in Targossa. It makes it seem like you're a Priest-on-Lease.

That's pretty much exactly how it is at this moment, yes. :)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited November 2014
    Antreus said:
    It is a bit awkward as @Melodie‌ pointed out: to allow priests in a city and then have another city make demands of them. Cyrene is politically Neutral and aligns with Good: no darkness, no evil, no chaos. But you can't be both according to Targossas. Being a priest in Cyrene would mean something entirely different than being a priest in Targossa. It makes it seem like you're a Priest-on-Lease.
    Yeah I don't know why anybody would actually want to be a cityless or Cyrenian Priest, given that you have pretty much no rights to be "rogueish" with your class skills. 

Kind of reminds me of this to be honest

~Kresslack's obsession~
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    edited November 2014
    Addama said:
    Antreus said:
    Yeah I don't know why anybody would actually want to be a cityless or Cyrenian Priest, given that you have pretty much no rights to be "rogueish" with your class skills. 

Being a priest in Cyrene is like being a missionary in a place that (mostly) dislikes your "home land". It has its ups and downs, but that doesn't mean that work doesn't get done or that it's not enjoyable. Also, when I picked being a priest as my class, I was not picking it for its class skills (even those are a plus), but I legitimately enjoy roleplaying a priest. So not having "rights" to be "rogueish" is not something that bothers me at all. Trust me, this game is rather lax with its rules and punishments compared to other games' churches.
  • Addama said:

That is one of the most amazing pieces of film I have ever seen.

• In case the analogy wasn't clear, @Daeir is the dude on the horse.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • 66%? Shit, you guys just need icons and I would sign up! 
  • Yeah, when the shit do we get an Icon?
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • If I remember right, Tecton said they were holding off on any new icons until after the renaissance, while they decide how to rework the icon system.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Does this include Bliss, by the way? Or are we just talking about spiritshields?

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
    I believe devotional abilities are okay... as far as I tested. Bliss gives 3 defenses. I would be interested in knowing if the blessings like endurance and willpower affect people that aren't Targossians (and allies) or priests.
  • As the announce says, this applies to endurance/willpower blessings and the three spiritshields. So no, if you aren't a priest or a citizen/ally of Targossas, none of them will do anything for you (except act as an extra buffer against stripped defences).
  • HalosHalos The Reaches

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2586                                     (08/21/2007 at 10:31)  
    From   : Clementius, the Weaver
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: ReWeaving Blessings
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessings have changed today!

Your class and relationship to the Church are critical in
    determining if, or how much, a blessing will benefit you.

Church members and all priests (yes, all) will gain the
    full benefits of all blessings.

Church allies will gain about two-thirds benefit.
    Church enemies will gain no benefit whatsoever.
    Everybody else will gain about one-third benefit.

What blessings? The blessings we are referring to are
    willpower, endurance, and the three Spirit shields.

Full effect means just like things have always been until now.

Penned by my hand on the 5th of Lupar, in the year 458 AF.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
    I could read the announcement... but...

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Should make Cyrenian Paladins (or Paladins in general) eligible for the 66% defense.  Otherwise seems fine to me
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Things are in motion on the player-driven end of things to push for something that will allow that problem to be fixed IG rather than implemented via code. 

Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
    That's awesome news to hear.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Achilles said:
    Should make Cyrenian Paladins (or Paladins in general) eligible for the 66% defense.  Otherwise seems fine to me
    Cyrenian Devotion users should probably all be Targossian allies. They already have to join the Diaspora, so that sounds like a simple addition. (And the first real practical use of city allies altogether.)
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Very interesting... I've always thought that the entire Healing skill represented a direct manipulation of the elemental and spirit channels and consequently existed outside of the Bloodsworn Gods' domain. Because of this, the Church/Targossas strictly punished blessing Evil and Chaotic adventurers, who would potentially use their blessings to threaten Creation. I feel the significance of blessings and their distribution weakens considerably when blessings cannot affect individuals unallied with Targossas...

I can always search around IG for an explanation, but if there is a straightforward reason why blessing effectiveness has been written into the game code, I would love to hear it.