Denizens and Bashing Damage

Ok, I'm curious as to denizens that we normally bash such as Meropis rabid grizzly bears. What kind of damage do these do? Do they do Blunt and Magic damage like adventurers do? If a Meropis bear bites me is it doing cutting damage, while if the same bear swipes at me is that blunt damage?

Comments

• Denizens have access to the same damage types as adventurers. You can usually guess what damage type it is (if they hit you with a bladed weapon it's probably cutting, for example), but sometimes it's less obvious (an attack that uses magical blades of ice could be cutting, magic, or cold) and you just have to test it by changing your resistances or using anthem.

Some denizen attacks are actually multiple attacks with a single message though, and they can then have multiple damage types (a shield of absorption can also fire multiple time on those attacks, or only block part of the damage if it fires once).

I don't know about that specific denizen, but being bitten is probably cutting (or asphyxiation if they bite your neck), and a swipe could be either cutting or blunt, or both.
  • It also seems to me that armor seems to have a lesser effect on denizen damage than it does on player damage.  I was testing the other day with/without a 40/32 tower shield, and while it reduced incoming player damage by something like 25% (550 without/400 with roughly) the denizen damage was reduced pretty negligibly. 
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Sena said:

Some denizen attacks are actually multiple attacks with a single message though, and they can then have multiple damage types (a shield of absorption can also fire multiple time on those attacks, or only block part of the damage if it fires once).

I don't know about that specific denizen, but being bitten is probably cutting (or asphyxiation if they bite your neck), and a swipe could be either cutting or blunt, or both.
    The first thing I thought about were Tsol'aa Rangers, in which the Ranger and the bear they rode in on are actually attacking you. Would this involve cutting damage from the Rangers and maybe blunt damage from the bears rolled into one?

• The effect of armour depends on the attack, at least for adventurer attacks. There's generally a portion that's reduced by armor and a portion that's not. Not sure how that works for denizen attacks. 
  • Most (if not all) denizen attacks have random damage, so that makes it harder to test the effectiveness of armour. Does anyone know of a denizen that always deals the same damage, either cutting or blunt?
  • Sena said:
    Most (if not all) denizen attacks have random damage, so that makes it harder to test the effectiveness of armour. Does anyone know of a denizen that always deals the same damage, either cutting or blunt?
    Is it purely random, though? I remember it working like a random value from a predefined set, so maybe it's 503 this time, maybe it's 1001 next time.
  • That's possible. I'll probably look into it later tonight or tomorrow.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I was under the impression some of them have an ability to get critical hit modifiers behind the scenes.