Electronic Cigarettes

edited November 2014 in The Universal Membrane
Just wanted to see who all smoked, and what they preferred to vape. Right now I'm using a SMOK GBC tank on an eGo-c (passthrough) battery. I vape basically what ever flavor I'm in the mood for, my current is Strawberry Sweet Tarts.

Comments

• Pall Mall 100s
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • edited November 2014
    I haven't invested any money into vaping products - want to sometime.

I just seem to metabolize nicotine differently, don't crave it any more than coffee. Smoke 3 a day for 4 years+, sometimes more.

Always keep a box in my coat pocket. But, I work from home and rarely go out. Never smoke them routinely - haven't for years. Usually just for gallivanting or waiting for train/metro - no smart phone. Wouldn't mind snus.

Force of habit (maybe it's the nicotine speaking to me), but I always buy a box of American.Spirit Yellows when I arrive Downtown area. They saved my life once so I always buy them in case they come in handy again as peace offerings.

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Hey, girl."

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Camels.
  • I did Camels for a year, American Spirit Lights/Yellows for something like six or seven years, then was poor for a moment and switched to Pall Malls.  Haven't gone back.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Antreus said:
    I haven't invested any money into vaping products - want to sometime.

I just seem to metabolize nicotine differently, don't crave it any more than coffee. Smoke 3 a day for 4 years+, sometimes more.

Always keep a box in my coat pocket. But, I work from home and rarely go out. Never smoke them routinely - haven't for years. Usually just for gallivanting or waiting for train/metro - no smart phone. Wouldn't mind snus.

Force of habit (maybe it's the nicotine speaking to me), but I always buy a box of American.Spirit Yellows when I arrive Downtown area. They saved my life once so I always buy them in case they come in handy again as peace offerings.
    How did they save your life? Did you give them to the masked bandits that robbed your train on horseback?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I started basically on Lucky Strikes/Camel non-filters. Talk about hating yourself with a passion.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited November 2014
    We've tried a bunch of different tanks and whatnot (Kaie would likely be able to share all their product names) but I only smoke menthol. My favorite eliquid is probably Mental Sensation by (I think) MyVaporStore.
  • I went on and off with smoking, including pipes and stuff. If you manage to quit is better. I have been a hard smoker for quite some time. Menthol is worse than regular cigs @bluef. I loved the Lucky Strikes (authentic taste). You may (not) be interested to know that in US the cigs auto extinguish in Europe do not…and the same brands taste very differently.
    Light prevails, always
  • Shibumi said:
    I went on and off with smoking, including pipes and stuff. If you manage to quit is better. I have been a hard smoker for quite some time. Menthol is worse than regular cigs @bluef. I loved the Lucky Strikes (authentic taste). You may (not) be interested to know that in US the cigs auto extinguish in Europe do not…and the same brands taste very differently.
    So they tell me. I don't like the flavour of regular cigarettes though. I don't really vape (or smoke) that much. I'm one of those annoying people who can smoke real cigarettes every day for a year and then quit without any dependency issues. For some reason it just doesn't impact me with cravings, etc.

I switched to vaporizers because of general health concerns about the tar in cigarettes though (and I have asthma so they're terrible for me). I know some critics argue that they're even worse for you, but from an everyday smoking perspective you feel better when you use an e-cig over a fiery tobacco product. At least that's been my experience.
  • I smoked a pack to two packs of Newport 100's every day for 18 years, until a couple of months ago. Tried a Strawberry Cream tasting eliquid off my sister in laws vape pen and was like damn this is good. Haven't looked back since.

• My type of discussion! I'm currently use Vivi Nova (cheapie) tanks, and my trusty Provari (that has lasted a good 3 years so far without any issue at all). As for flavors, I tend to vary, depending on my mood. Mostly, I vape some sort of menthol, nutty, or fruity flavors. My absolute favorite is a mix that includes hazelnut, cotton candy/sweetener, and a flavor called RY4 Double.

When I first started vaping, I bought premade flavors, which are pretty expensive. Now I make my own. Within the past few years, I've built up a fairly large supply of flavors to mix myself. I love doing it this way because I can experiment and make all kinds. Homemade tends to be much better (and a fraction of the cost) than premixed once you get the hang of it. Note that you will certainly make some disasters of epic proportions!

As of now, I have the following flavors:

English toffee, Type N menthol (this stuff is wonderful), holy vanilla, sugar cookie, cheese cake, butterscotch, vanilla, poundcake, mint, ripe banana, black cherry, french vanilla, coconut, cotton candy, pineapple, spearmint, creme de menthe, whipped cream, strawberries & cream, RY4 double, hazelnut, and menthol crystals that are diluted with the PG/VG/nicotine.

If any of you vapors are interested in do-it-yourself vape, you can find all kinds of info online and calculators that will help with measuring. Just be very very careful when working with nicotine. It's dangerous. 
    Mishgul wanted Jesus to fix my banner. Neither of us could get it right :(

• Butterscotch.....

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    Smoke free since 2010. But I loved my pipe and I had my personal mix, made by a propper tabaconist. Mostly cherry flavours though.
  • edited November 2014

I was able to kick cigarettes for about a year using an e-cig, which as far as all (legitimate) health experts are concerned, is about 99.9% less harmful for you (nicotine itself is mildly unhealthy, if used regularly).

My only beef with e-cigs is that they are pretty darn expensive to get into, particularly since they're generally manufactured in China and don't tend to last very long (I went through about 6-7 batteries, and probably 10-15+ tanks in that year). 

Better options are out there, but of course, are even more pricey.

I also can't seem to get over the hipster/poseur stigma of using e-cigs in public, either, even after using them myself (although I was usually pretty private about it).  Not to say this is always the case, but it seems to be a pretty accurate stereotype.

• On a different note, just for discussions sake, I found it interesting that the US Navy has an extremely strong anti-smoking stance, to the point of completely banning smoking in some commands, or in most cases, limiting smoking to intentionally highly inconvenient locations.

Yet, the Navy immediately banned e-cigs.   My particular command was even more strict on them than smoking actual cigarettes, to the point of actually dishing out punitive action for even having one.  One guy actually got knocked down in rank for violating the "personal electronic device" policy (intended to ban data-containing devices for security reasons, ie. smartphones) for having one in one of our nuclear plants.

I would think the Navy, which is gung-ho anti-smoking, would support e-cig use.  But, for anyone with experience with the US military, they have a long-standing record of refusing to do anything that makes sense.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I have to get a new tank for mine, since the one it came with was glass and broke because I forgot I had it in my lap while driving. So naturally when I opened the door to get out, it fell. I use a flavour called Tiger's Blood (not joking).

• I tried them, but I miss something about real smoking.  Probably the fire, to be honest.  The crinkle of the paper as you take a well earned drag, Zippos, watching the cigarette slowly disappear as you suck in the wreathing smoke.  God I need to give up.

Also, VAPING.  I just can't get behind the verb.  It's just so... rapey.  It makes me feel like I just punched a girl.  It's amazing to me that this is the verb we ended up with.
  • edited November 2014
    I tried them, but I miss something about real smoking.  Probably the fire, to be honest.  The crinkle of the paper as you take a well earned drag, Zippos, watching the cigarette slowly disappear as you suck in the wreathing smoke.  God I need to give up.

Yeah all of this is part of addiction (pavlov's dog, etc).  Part of why lots of e-cigs are cigarette shaped and have fake fire etc.  Some even come with cigarette pack chargers.

• I could tell you why you're wrong, but brb: smoke break
    I would say it's more about finding healthier alternatives than it is trying to break the smoking addiction. Vaporizers have been around for a while now, and then they made them smaller and came out with juices that have nicotine levels. Before that people just smoked pipes and hookahs and cigars. E-cigs are largely a product of stiffer legislation and anti-smoking laws.

• E-cigs are largely a product of companies finally coming up with a product that doesn't suck, and doesn't kill you (probably).  I don't think legislation is a big player there.  Cigarette companies have been trying to find a workable e-cig for decades (see Barbarians at the Gate etc).
  • edited November 2014

I mean, to be realistic, they're all just different attempts to market an addictive, habit-forming substance to people, in order to profit off of substance addiction.  The e-cig market is exploding because it targets several major demographs that are all stereotypically gullible biased towards their product (smokers trying to quit, hipsters, teenagers, smokers who don't want to smell/look bad, etc).

As radical as it might sound, the difference between e-cig companies and heroin dealers (and mcdonald's) is only a cultural (and sometimes very wrong) definition of what's "unhealthy".

I'm certainly one of them, so not trying to ride a high horse here, just calling it as I see it.

• I can say that it works to stop smoking. The thing I like about it is the ability to step down nicotine levels until you have nothing but the flavor. Right now one of my blends is 0mg nicotine and melatonin. (it's my night time blend)

• And yeah they can be expensive to get into. The way I put it to someone was "Yeah the initial cost is about 5 times more than a pack of cigarettes, however I can take a 10 ml bottle and have it last me 2-3 days where as a pack wouldn't even last me a day." So far I've saved a couple hundred dollars since switching.

• 5 times?  My kit was like $150. =(  that's like 7 cartons.
  • Also I use sites like this https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/ <---- really low prices, stock rotates though.

• edited November 2014
    My kit cost me about $30.00 after taxes. The starter kit (clearomizer,pen battery, usb charger) was 22$ and they were doing buy one get one free on the eliquid if you bought a starter kit. So I got two flavors for 8$.  This is from Sheetz.

• Ernam said:

On a different note, just for discussions sake, I found it interesting that the US Navy has an extremely strong anti-smoking stance, to the point of completely banning smoking in some commands, or in most cases, limiting smoking to intentionally highly inconvenient locations.

Yet, the Navy immediately banned e-cigs.   My particular command was even more strict on them than smoking actual cigarettes, to the point of actually dishing out punitive action for even having one.  One guy actually got knocked down in rank for violating the "personal electronic device" policy (intended to ban data-containing devices for security reasons, ie. smartphones) for having one in one of our nuclear plants.

I would think the Navy, which is gung-ho anti-smoking, would support e-cig use.  But, for anyone with experience with the US military, they have a long-standing record of refusing to do anything that makes sense.

I let my guys smoke their E-cigs in the shop. They smell delicious.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
    E-cigs are largely a product of companies finally coming up with a product that doesn't suck, and doesn't kill you (probably).  I don't think legislation is a big player there.  Cigarette companies have been trying to find a workable e-cig for decades (see Barbarians at the Gate etc).
    Why would cigarette companies want you to by a non-addictive electronic version compared to spending $5 on a pack that runs out and forces you to buy another pack. They don't give a shit about your health, evidenced by what's in actual cigarettes. I live in Florida, and legislation has a huge part to do with it because it's a state that has strict anti-smoking laws.

They even just closed down a cigar shop in the mall that's been open forever due to new legislation being passed, because people "don't like the smell when they walk by", even though no on is smoking in the store and all the cigars are kept in a large walk in humidor. You used to be able to smoke in the store, to try out pipes and what not, but haven't been able to do that for a while.