Why aren't you (seemingly) able to gather in subdivision gardens and those unmapped?

I've been trying this in several gardens - harvesting fruit/vegetable - but to no avail. Is this working as intended, simply undocumented?

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Hey, girl."

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

Answers

• Might need to be planted/put in there first, I'm guessing?

I know plants can't be harvested from rooms unless they're planted in there and grow first.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited November 2014
    You used to be able to gather clay in the wilderness but has since been changed. I could be wrong about that because it's been some time since I tried but I'm pretty sure that it's by design. There are so many rooms that could be harvested like that nobody could possibly harvest only those with Penwizian fortitude could harvest them all.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    You used to be able to gather clay in the wilderness but has since been changed. I could be wrong about that because it's been some time since I tried but I'm pretty sure that it's by design. There are so many rooms that could be harvested like that nobody could possibly harvest only those with Penwizian fortitude could harvest them all.
    Well, I am speaking specifically to Gardens created on owned plots. I even tried gathering in gardens unmapped places in Sapience with not a fruit or veggie to be seen. Selene's old temple comes to mind as an example of this.

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

• I'm not sure about owned plots in cities, but the Garden housing improvement shows the plants and fruits, etc. growing there in my out of sub home and I can have someone else harvest and I gather there frequently. I haven't tried for clay in a long while, but milk and eggs were still gatherable in the wilderness farmlands last I checked. I realize that's not what we're talking about here, but I don't gather too often and obviously I'm not a harvester.
  • Yes, and I'm sorry that I keep interchangeably using 'Harvest' and 'gather' when they are two different skill sets. I'm mostly referring to Gathering from Gardens inside player housing due to the Housing Room Upgrades.

• @Trilliana‌
    That is wild girl! I was in my garden and nothing that sensible happened to me! "There's nothing to gather here" Weird.

• @Antreus The plant needs to at least be higher than Sparse, using the correct skill (fruits and veggies are gathered, not harvested. Harvest is a command literally only for concoctionists now) And the only reason I could gather so much is I'm allied to Corinth, that's why I could gather multiple times. If you need someone else to go to your garden and check it, poke me IG. Albeit maybe tomorrow or Monday because I'm beat.
    meh