Theft Question

Question: since the pickpocket change, is the inability of serpents to force you to give/drop gold hard-coded, or is that just "against the rules" now? I had a theft attempt that looked quite a bit like the old theft recently--the serpent snapped, I moved a few rooms away (voluntarily), I removed gold from pack, and then I got a message like "I do not see that being here," as though I had tried to hand off the gold.

I know this is probably a pretty old change, but I just came back after a very long absence. I saw the announce post, but it didn't really answer my question. Any additional explanation about the newer theft system would also be appreciated.

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    It is hardcoded, yes.
  • Forcing the commands "give", "drop", "put", "throw", and maybe one or two others are completely impossible now, aside from some exceptions for combat reasons (such as putting vials away).

Generally, the serpent will force you to get your gold out, drop your selfishness if you have it, and then they'll pickpocket you. A good thief will time it so the pickpocket completes just as you get the gold out or just as you drop selfishness, giving you as little time as possible to react.
  • You can still be forced to put gold into a hat that is on the ground, but I've only seen that done by Occultists.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • I find that difficult to believe. If you've actually seen this happening, it's a bug and should be reported.
  • Its a bug? I thiugh occultists could still steal this wat, like giving you a hat and getting you to put your gold in the hat.
  • HeroseHerose Nova Scotia, Canada
    edited November 2014
    You definitely can't get them to put things in a hat if the hat is in their inventory.  Haven't tried it if it was on the ground though.
  • edited November 2014
    Jinsun was doing it as of two months ago, unless something has changed you can still do it.

E: The hat must be on the ground.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    It's Jinsun...don't follow Jinsun's example. Sounds like a bug, so trying to loophole it is pretty risky.

• Kept up a bit with this thread. No one should follow my example. I'm a bad guy, but you can't use soulmaster/hat to steal anything but pipes or vials. I've been asked by the admin to stop doing so, even though there is no current rule against it. Anyone that is telling you that I'm stealing gold/keys/anything besides pipes and vials lied to you.