Why are curatives so bereft of value? Is it because they don't decay..?

2»

Comments

• Arador said:
    A big reason why people do not value their time transmuting the same way they value it when bashing is that the former is basically workout any need to pay attention or impart effort. You can keep it open to the side while you watch a movie. With hunting and questing you at least have to give some attention to move, hit, check your health etc. 

So yes you make less an hour but so what? For most of that hour you did nothing. The current situation is fine. There is so much depth to Achaean combat, we don't need painstaking curative management and sourcing to make it interesting. 
    Yes, I agree in part that the above is this a contributing factor.

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Hey, girl."

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

• I like how Antreus revoked his "lol" on my comment to a flag after he decided not to find it funny anymore.

Carry on.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • edited November 2014
    Dortheron said:

There is one other aspect that you're forgetting with this too: cheap cures makes combat much more available to newbies and the poor, as well as making it less about who's willing to pay the most to win. At one point, spamming paralysis was a viable tactic, because they would a) try to preserve their very expensive bloodroot by not using it, or b) eat it all trying to survive and run out. By making cures very cheap, you can have level 30+ newbies being able to survive hunting/learning about cures without worrying about the cost, as well as extended duels/raids and not have to worry about my supplies.

I do agree with what has been said: Alchemy and Concoctions can be adjusted better to help with the price and making it more profitable/less time consuming. But cheap cures are ultimately a benefit to the whole, even if it sucks for the individual.

@Antreus it's true that adjustments and such are most likely going to come after the trade skills are removed from classes, as it's an important step to multiclassing. When everyone and their dog can gather minerals/plants, the economy of the situation will be drastically changed.
    Yeah, I'm glad we're having this discussion, because of what you just added above ^

I hadn't thought of that at all. But also I disagree partly to the extent that I don't believe irid moss and potash are essential for new players. I am fine with cures being cheap, accessible, and most are in fact; cheaper than they've ever been.

I just believe in putting more value on irid moss and potash than it currently has.  I think it is a luxury good because of how beneficial it is in increasing your character's power. You don't eat irid moss or potash alone, but do you use them to mediate between your hp and mp in combat. It allows you to be more adaptive in combat without getting too far behind in sipping health. It also helps you maintain an edge over classes like Apostates and Alchemists who like opponents with lower mana reserves.

I view these specific cures as combat steroids (health/mana restore on its own balance) outside of the arena, that gives one an edge over their opponent. That's why I think they deserve to be in their own category. I think there is validity in viewing it as such, because it is one of the few herbs that is always in high demand. This leads me to believe that it can be charged more, which also allows more people into the market.

When the market price is low it means less tradesmen can enter the market, because they cannot compete at the same level as people who can flood with surplus. I don't have a problem with competition (I think it was a good thing for concoctions to have a rival in the marketplace), but I do have a problem with depreciating the value of something that is inherently valuable.

Edits: for bad grammar

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Hey, girl."

A male voice is heard through the membrane, "Are you an Apostate? ..because you just tore my heart out."

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Addama said:
    I like how Antreus revoked his "lol" on my comment to a flag after he decided not to find it funny anymore.

Carry on.
    I like how you just basically proved his point in his last comment regarding you.

Carry on.

• Antreus said:
    When the market price is low it means less tradesmen can enter the market, because they cannot compete at the same level as people who can flood with surplus. I don't have a problem with competition (I think it was a good thing for concoctions to have a rival in the marketplace), but I do have a problem with depreciating the value of something that is inherently valuable.

But there is no cost to collecting them besides time. That really means that there should be a lower gold per hour from concoctions/alchemy than bashing (that has a limit on mobs that are alive) and fishing (that requires bait for everything caught). So it is in about the right place, we'll see how the market shakes out when everyone who wants it has access to minerals/concoctions rather than people just putting lessons into it because it is one of the class skills with some combat benefit. I would assume the price will rise as people have to go out of their way to get the skill rather than just grabbing it cause it is their class, but time will tell.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Hashan's alchemists have a pretty good model going to spread the wealth at least among ourselves, but we have to play at the same low prices as everyone else. If we didn't no one would buy our stuff. We succeed via supply and convenience.
  • Vayne said:
    Hashan's alchemists have a pretty good model going to spread the wealth at least among ourselves, but we have to play at the same low prices as everyone else. If we didn't no one would buy our stuff. We succeed via supply and convenience.
    weird.. from what I remember,  the lowest prices of minerals in market are usually from Hashan, and also  the mineral prices of some Hashan shops are the lowest as well (I know Targ has the lowest but.. oh well
  • The reason we sell minerals so low is that people refuse to pay higher. Even at 6 gold per you will get people trying to haggle you down huge amounts on large and small orders. 

• Khaibit said:
    The reason we sell minerals so low is that people refuse to pay higher. Even at 6 gold per you will get people trying to haggle you down huge amounts on large and small orders. 
    Hey, at some point buying 10k of EVERY MINERAL deserves some sort of kickdown :/

• edited November 2014
    Addama said:
    I like how Antreus revoked his "lol" on my comment to a flag after he decided not to find it funny anymore.

Carry on.
    This is exactly the kind of post that's going to get you banned very quickly.
  • Ten thousand of every mineral should deserve some sort of kick down. Probably drop the price from 10g/p to maybe 8 or 6 g/p depending on how much I like them. Of course, this is in the world where I could actually charge ten gold per mineral >_<