The Music Thread

Comments

• I have been loving the launch of Spotify in Australia. What has been on rotation for me?

The Tiger & Me - From a Liar To a Thief. Australian folk-style. Gorgeous record with banjos, harmonicas and violins aplenty.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! A disconcerting album - they still can absolutely nail simple musical ideas and expand in beautiful ways.

Dead Can Dance - Anastasis. Beautiful album, and slightly less dirgy than their previous efforts.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d City. Will undoubtedly be an album of the year for a lot of people. Some of the best story-telling hiphop I have heard in a while.

Gojira - l'enfant Sauvage. It gets me through Dota2 sessions.

Frank Ocean - channelORANGE. Will be album of the year for even more people, including me.

Chet Faker - Thinking in Textures. Excellent, fuzzy trip-hop (with a little less hop) stylings from this Aussie.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
  • Gildenlow said:
     Frank Ocean - channelORANGE. Will be album of the year for even more people, including me.
    I've heard about Frank Ocean from a number of places now, but still can't see mention of him without thinking Billy Ocean and being really confused for a bit.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

• Anyone ever heard of Captain Murphy? Currently no one knows his identity, and its beginning to be disputed whether or not he's a combination between OF and Flying Lotus, or perhaps maybe even Zeroh. His Duality mixtape just dropped yesterday. Cool thing is, the whole mixtape is a short film incorporating some movie footage, and some videos of Jim Jones (cult leader) and Heaven's Gate.
  • This song always makes me smile.

• edited November 2012
    Astraea
    Demon's Souls' Soundtrack is great.
    My favorite:

• http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1268472090/brand-new-mindless-self-indulgence-record

For those interested.

Personally, they rank somewhere between #5 and #10 on my favorite bands list, but aren't characteristic of my favorites.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • EllodinEllodin Hawaii
    edited November 2012
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • edited November 2012
    Every day sends future to past 
    Every breath leaves me one less to my last
  • The Ys games have had so many rearrangements that it's hard to keep track. This is my favorite version of Palace of Destruction.

• I hold the controversial opinion that the first Crystal Chronicles has the greatest soundtrack in the Final Fantasy series. Kumi Tanioka's decision to rely on folk instruments over the orchestral sounds common in other FF soundtracks was the right one.

• Idelisa said:
    Band of Horses, meet Horse the Band

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    edited November 2012
    @Kresslack, try listening to Geoff Berner's version of Mayn Rue Platz. I'd link it, but I'm posting from my phone. It's on YouTube. So sad. It's gorgeous.

Otherwise, it's a Neutral Milk Hotel kind of morning.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    @Amunet: Good stuff

Mayn Rue Platz (My Resting Place) by Geoff Berner on Grooveshark

Some Awolnation, this is the only song of theirs that I like, and I can't get it out of my head:

Sail by AWOLNATION on Grooveshark

• edited December 2012

• LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    My bashing music!

• I blame @Shahai for this, been stuck in my head since I heard the Muppet version! Great song, though.

• edited December 2012
  • edited December 2012
    Legendary Jazz pianist and composer Dave Brubeck died today, days shy of his 92nd birthday. :(  In remembrance, I'll post two songs by his famous quartet from one of greatest Jazz albums, Time Out: Strange Meadow Lark, my favorite track, and Take Five, the best-selling Jazz single of all-time.

• EllodinEllodin Hawaii
    edited December 2012
    RIP Dave Brubeck for sure.  I have the vinyl version of Time Out, it's good stuff (even if I admittedly listen to Oscar Peterson a lot more, as far as jazz pianists go).

But anyway, came here more to post more chamber music.  Lots of youtube videos because different movements, and wasn't conveniently in a playlist.

And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • My sparring music, for some reason:

<object width="250" height="40" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="gsSong2458128829" name="gsSong2458128829"><param name="movie" value="http://grooveshark.com/songWidget.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="window" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashvars" value="hostname=grooveshark.com&songID=24581288&style=metal&p=0" /><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://grooveshark.com/songWidget.swf" width="250" height="40"><param name="wmode" value="window" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashvars" value="hostname=grooveshark.com&songID=24581288&style=metal&p=0" /><span><a href="http://grooveshark.com/search/song?q=Bruce%20Springsteen%20River" title="River by Bruce Springsteen on Grooveshark">River by Bruce Springsteen on Grooveshark</a></span></object></object>
  • Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

• And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.