Where to go from here

So I created Bade to be a non-com originally since when I used to play I got fed up and left since I sucked so bad at combat. Trouble is I can't do it, I love the complexity of Achaea's combat, probably all the harder since I'm a Serpent and I keep getting told they're the hardest class to get good at for combat. But I need advice at this point. First, I can't afford credits, not with real money. I am collecting gold for credits so that helps, but I want to know the best place to use these credits. so far I am trans subterfuge and I understand bow combat, but I have been told that in a raid I still need to know how to use a dirk. So I'm not that far up in venom yet, and nothing for Hypnosis. should all the credits I earn go into lessons or should I save up 30 and get SVO. I've heard it helps but I don't understand what it does other than what serverside curing does.

Also so far I've been using the HTML5 client but I have Mudlet, do I need Mudlet to be even decent at combat. or is it kust my skill that's the problem and I should give upbon combat.

Comments

• So let me go through these questions one at a time:

1) Until you're tri-trans, likely also trans Survival, your credits will go further toward lessons than they would toward arties. 
    2) You don't need to be trans venoms to use a dirk, you can envenom a dirk just like every other class does.  Having trans venoms lets you BITE with that venom, though, which is useful though I don't know how because I've never really fought as a Serpent.
    3) SVO has a bunch of utilities unrelated to curing that makes it useful.  Most people I know don't use the SVO curing, they use the server-side curing in conjunction with SVO utilities, like limb counters, health/mana management, affliction tracking, highlighting tools, etc.  You don't need it to be good at combat, though.  Affliction tracking will come later.
    4) HTML5 is fine.  When you want to do esoteric things like UI modifications, that's a definite plus for Mudlet, but the HTML5 client UI is very good and will get you most of what you need.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • A lot of that is very useful thanks, though to clarify one thing, the venoms for dirk I was mostly trying to trans that so I don't have to worry about having all the vials, but I'm not sure this will still be the case once venom becomes a trade skill.

I know I should tri trans before buying artefacts but my question is should I but SVO before getting tritrans because I've been told with trans subterfuge I can be a help in a raid.

Now a question to add to the others, Why trans survival?
  • edited November 2014
    It has many abilities that are useful or absolutely vital for combat purposes.

Metawake(Can help prevent sleep locks), restore(this can backfire but it still has its uses for dealing with broken limbs), clotting(Lots of things can cause large quantities of bleeding), focusing(Excellent for dealing with mental affs), etc.
  • Trans survival is huge.

First, just getting Survival to Focusing is pretty much a must-have for combat.  But without Efficiency (the Trans skill in Survival) Focusing costs a LOT of mana, 500 to be exact.  It's pretty trivial to totally tap somebody out of their mana just by forcing them to focus away afflictions.  Efficiency cuts this cost by quite a lot, but I'm not sure by how much because I don't have it :'(

SVO isn't mandatory to be useful in raids.  It does have useful tools to forward your actions to Party Tells, but until you know exactly what you're doing in raids most of what you would forward to Party Tells would be useless information anyway.  So HTML5 is fine.

Venom vials are cheap and you can see what you have with VLIST.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Addama said:
    So let me go through these questions one at a time:

4) HTML5 is fine.  When you want to do esoteric things like UI modifications, that's a definite plus for Mudlet, but the HTML5 client UI is very good and will get you most of what you need.
    That's really nice to hear. More improvements on the way!
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Serpents have some awesome utility in group combat, but you do not need to be tri-trans to be useful by any means though they have some awesome trans abilities.

Offensively:
    At range Serpents are unmatched, sniping is always helpful and provides a powerful second line for your melee attackers while keeping a low profile yourself. Synergizing arrow venoms with various melee afflictions make some killer combos. Pinshot came after I changed but I hear it can be situationally useful to...well, pin down enemies too.

In melee, what venoms you use will depend on the dynamic your group is working with but dstab is helpful regardless of your arties, though DEX is more valuable now for balance. At trans you do gain some very power toys in phase which with evade gives you amazing infiltration and scouting abilities and viper which gives another layer of random afflictions that never hurts.

Having transcretion and the ability to secrete all venoms is of course helpful but again with vials the hindrance is neglible in group combat.

Defensively:
    SVO is tried and true, but I am hearing a lot of good things about the server side stuff too. Serpents have pretty good defense, curing, and evasion skillwise, so that will be a matter of practice.

Survival, as the name implies, goes a long way to help you to survive and would absolutely be the next thing to invest in after tri-trans.
  • Ok I'm got a hood idea of what I need to do now thanks. Going to have to talk to those in the army to help with strategy but one more quick question, is hypnosis of any use for raids? I wouls think its too slow.
  • Hypnosis is very situational for raids.

I would think its only use would be to force someone to move to jump into your group. When then, super risky.
  • Regarding curing, check out wundersys 

• Oh, and someone around here has a free affliction tracker

• I would be very interested in a free afflocition tracker, who has that?

Now my combat fustration may just be getting to me but should I change race?
    I love being Xoran for rp because I'm a lizard serpent which I just think is cool, but my dex is only 13. Should I change to raja? mhun? I am just thinking my balance recovery is too slow, I know I need the trait that helps with this but I can't pick another trait till level 80. just 7 for leels to go.
  • I don't know how to edit, but mistake, my dex is 14
  • edited November 2014
    http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/2562/my-offense-tracker/p1

Both that and wundersys are for mudlet. Check under the systems and scripts section of the forums, under tech support. 

Also, some searching should help you find a few free UI scripts for mudlet to make it nice and pretty, like the home client.

• Being in a House that specializes in combat and has a few members of your Class will help enormously.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Addama said:
    Being in a House that specializes in combat and has a few members of your Class will help enormously.
    Definitely this. Establishing some kind of channel of communication with a combatant of your class will help immensely. I used to have Penwize, now I don't have anyone, and it sucks :/

Also bad part about this one is it will likely take you out of Hashan, because we don't have any serp fighters at the moment.
  • I will be in a house once the renaissance is over, but that still gives me time to practice. Definitely now I will be changing race. I hate to change for min-max reasons but if I'll need 16 I got to. thanks for all the help everybody I appreciate it. 
  • I won't leave Hashan though if any serpent combatants read this and meet me in game I'm looking for a teacher.
  • Bade said:
    I won't leave Hashan though if any serpent combatants read this and meet me in game I'm looking for a teacher.

Probably not the best approach to seeking roleplay / in-game social interraction.

• no I know, not looking for an answer here, I'm just saying I'll look but its not likely. Everybody I've met says I have to leave Hashan and join their house.
  • Bade said:
    Everybody I've met says I have to leave Hashan and join their house.

Leave Hashan and join my house.

(seriously)
  • Bade said:
    no I know, not looking for an answer here, I'm just saying I'll look but its not likely. Everybody I've met says I have to leave Hashan and join their house.
    Under the tutelage of Randy Tutelage.

~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Ernam said:
    Bade said:

(seriously)
    Stay in Hashan. There are a lot of combatants that will help you OOCLY if you ask them really nicely.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Kuy said:
    Ernam said:
    Bade said:

(seriously)
    Stay in Hashan. There are a lot of combatants that will help you OOCLY if you ask them really nicely.
    Plus there's Twil.
  • Yeah my plans right now are to stay in Hashan and get some help OOCly. I think I probably need to be a higher level though to be really good so I am in Bashing Mode until level 80, hopefully gives me enough lessons to trans another skill. I changed race though to Raja, thankfully some IC reasoning worked with it anyway.