River Boats

So I know people have been disliking the currents with the rivers. Maybe we could get boats? Just small little row boats or canoes or rafts or such. Make it so you can tie up and float in the river for fishing, or use the currents to travel faster downstream? Just an idea but it sounded fun and it seems like it wouldn't be too crazy considering they would just be aquatic mounts, basically? Oooooh, can there be aquatic mounts?

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Only if I can be Tom Sawyer, and @Daeir can be my Huckleberry.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Santar said:
    Better idea: How about having the appropriate riding ability stops you from being drug with the current, assuming you're mounted.

Mounts need more proper utility anyways.
    So that one's mount, using Fording, would just tread water in a large, deep river with a strong current, whilst they bowfished from the saddle?

• Kresslack said:
    Santar said:
    Better idea: How about having the appropriate riding ability stops you from being drug with the current, assuming you're mounted.

So that one's mount, using Fording, would just tread water in a large, deep river with a strong current, whilst they bowfished from the saddle?
    Nobody's saying the mount needs to be standing in the middle of the river. Might as well assume that it's standing in the shallows.

• Good shout.

• Yes please.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    The barge she sat in, like a burnish'd throne,
    Burn'd on the water: the poop was beaten gold;
    Purple the sails, and so perfumed that
    The winds were love-sick with them; the oars were silver,
    Which to the tune of flutes kept stroke, and made
    The water which they beat to follow faster,
    As amorous of their strokes. For her own person,
    It beggar'd all description: she did lie
    In her pavilion--cloth-of-gold of tissue--
    O'er-picturing that Venus where we see
    The fancy outwork nature: on each side her
    Stood pretty dimpled boys, like smiling Cupids,
    With divers-colour'd fans, whose wind did seem
    To glow the delicate cheeks which they did cool,
    And what they undid did.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Barrels sold in Delos.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • One mo, gain.

~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Kresslack said:
    Santar said:

Fording means the horse is able to stand in the river (more specifically, it means "crossing at a ford", a ford being a place where the water is shallow enough to walk/ride/drive/whatever through). Possibly still a bad idea with a strong current, but the mount doesn't have to tread/swim, just stand.
  • Halos said:
    Barrels sold in Delos.
    Perhaps a way to assemble a raft, using materials gathered from nearby.
  • Tbh, the best idea is to strike off this river current thing as a failed idea that literally nobody in the game likes or appreciates.

Just remove it. I haven't heard one positive thing about it. No offense to the people who worked on it.

• I actually like it...

I just think I like it because it adds new cool things we could have. (See RIVER BOATS)

• It's pretty much a nightmare mechanically speaking. It exists for no reason other than to needlessly inconvenience the player. 

• It also breaks up groups. I'm sort of tired of having to walk -all- the way back and finds my kids drowning in the river because they were swept away when we crossed. Plz fix this.

• Siduri said:

[pic] "Quack Quack, Mothafucka!"

Read this in Hank Moody voice, for some reason.  I can't see the "motherfucker" anymore without that happening.

• I like the idea of adding more realism to the game. We've all been just running straight through forests, cutting across rivers like they don't mean anything, with simple waterwalking. Limiting travel for those who don't want to actually go through the effort of doing the river boat/canoe thing, forcing them to more well traveled roads, which is what the roads are actually meant to accomplish, is great for the RP I think.  It makes road control more valuable for armies (in a roleplaying sense at least, with all those who can just zip to the clouds or whatever to bypass it). I just see all kinds of possibilities, with the drawbacks being that world spanning fights run into trouble now at a river, where maybe your prey gets across easily and you don't, or your prey gets swept down river and you get across and are like "ummm, where did they go?"  Challenge is good.  Change is good :smiley: 
  • Santar said:
    It's pretty much a nightmare mechanically speaking. It exists for no reason other than to needlessly inconvenience the player. 
    I thought it might have been added in anticipation of one of the new class skills, so a class could get a skill to stop the currents (e.g. sylvans with their "weather control" stuff).

But maybe it has nothing to do with that and was just a random idea.

• Seems like a valid attempt to make a more reach environment, but ended up pretty much just being what @Santar said.  I particularly think it's somewhat silly that it breaks up groups, although it does make people actually respect terrain, which is in itself somewhat of an interesting, albeit sometimes highly inconvenient, feature.

• I think it's interesting the way these features offer possibilities. Create the inconvenience of river currents, and you now have an opening for things that mitigate or exploit that inconvenience, like canoes rafts, or aquamantic abilities to still the currents or reverse them, or curses to magnify their effect on a target, or artifacts to ignore the currents.

Introduce restrictions too blatant, too inconvenient, with too obvious a goal of monetisation, and people will rebel. But you can't create new possibilities without some inconvenience. Similar limitations exist with things like the ability to walk through water environment rooms, movement per second, travel through different elevations, and communication through shouts.
  • We didn't add currents in order to then sell people anything. Just did it to add more 'worldiness' to the world. Might be that some of the currents are too fast now though, or that more bridges over rivers need to be built both RPly and in reality.