Lodsofemone

So here I am trying to make a Rogue Rajamala Blademaster as an alt, so that I don't really have to worry about her having any responsibilities and can resort to eating butterflies as a naked forest hobo if I have to. Thinking in the long term Blademaster swords are stupidly easy to make so the only thing money wise that I'd worry about turning into dust is a scabbard and a set of ringmail, which honestly doesn't cost much.
Then I got the name "Conquering Spirit" made of Lead and Mercury (Cinnabar). I immediately decided that I have to preserve this for eternity.

Turns out that you can't non-decay Blademaster swords, so now the cost went up from 50 credits to 350 to get the band of fire.
That's a footnote of 1.95 million gold, or ~250,000 butterflies and ~2,000 nets from what I'm looking at.
There's gotta be a better way to get that dosh, but it's looking bleak for a naked forest hobo blademaster. Any tips? Thankfully I got til like July 11th of next year.

Comments

• I mean, power leveling to 50 cuts the cost by a third, and bumrushing to being a dragon takes out the entire cost, but being realistic, as an alt I'm still going to need to fit the bill for 1.3 million gilded dollarydoos
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    That is a badass sword name. Butterfly till you can band it, bro.

RIP Conquering Waves.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Invest in stasis scabbards, that will double the amount of time you have to save up for a band. Questing is the best way to get gold if you don't want to bash to a high level, just try to make an average of 10k per day and you should be fine.
  • Well after 2 hours of butterflying in Minia I got ~2500 for 200, meaning my math was wrong:
    156000 butterflies, meaning 780 nets and 1560 hours, and 65 days, 2.25 months of game time butterflying.
    104000 butterflies, 520 nets, 1040 hours, 43 days, 1.5 months of nothing but butterflies if I'm going to butterfly then grind to 50.

How long does it take to get to 100? and I'm 90% positive there's a better way then this. Heck I'd resort to theft and murder if I need to.
    Speaking of which, Marks seem like they'd net close to 1 cred per head, and I'd have some progress already done by being level 60, but I'd like to keep KOS status off of my head as someone who doesn't have a house/city to back them up.
  • CynderCynder Where the Red Pandas roam.
    Go to Lodi and hunt wildcats for best gold Newbie area wise.
    Use the quests in Xhaiden dale to make a pretty sovereign or two.
    Actar use the goats, rabbits, and pots to make some money.
    Ratting > Butterflies if you really will grind that hard. At least get some exp for your efforts.

This is all pre 30 stuff mind you. There's lots of quests to explore to get some gold. Don't miss out on the tons of Newbie area quests you can cash out on. It's disgusting how much I missed the gold I earned from Minia from levels 50~70 or so.
  • Cynder said:
    Go to Lodi and hunt wildcats for best gold Newbie area wise.
    Use the quests in Xhaiden dale to make a pretty sovereign or two.
    Actar use the goats, rabbits, and pots to make some money.
    Ratting > Butterflies if you really will grind that hard. At least get some exp for your efforts.

This is all pre 30 stuff mind you. There's lots of quests to explore to get some gold. Don't miss out on the tons of Newbie area quests you can cash out on. It's disgusting how much I missed the gold I earned from Minia from levels 50~70 or so.
    Does anything besides the Wildcats have a maximum level?
    I've been killing gnomes FOR the wildcat queen getting the equavlent of 100 butterflies in 1/4th the time, do wildcats give more?
    I'm planning on stopping at level 19 though so I can still have access to Minia since the pixie zone pukes out fluttering 25gold in clusters of 8.
    Ratting doesn't exactly seem profitable as the rate they crawl out at compared to Minia's constant overflow of butterflies, so unless there's something that gives more dosh then flutterby snatching post level 20 then I may just stick to it.
    But I guess that depends on what the sewers are like and if the city minds me being there, but I could easily drop the required 177 lessons to get there since I'm getting 875 just from binding all of these credits.
  • Butterflies are one of the worst ways to get gold. Ratting is better. The appearance of rats can be slow and unpredictable, but it's not any worse than finding butterflies. Still, ratting is also one of the worst ways to get gold. The newbie areas are very good, but you can't stay there forever, nor should you, since there are better options later on.

The best way to get gold, other than high level (at least 90+) bashing or being a good merchant (which generally requires a lot of experience and connections), is questing. Ulangi and Mysia for example are very good questing areas that can give a lot of gold (>20k per hour) and all of the quests can be done at low levels, but they're also very popular areas, so it can be hard to get all the quests to yourself. Inbhir Ness is also good, and gets very little traffic/competition, but it's very out of the way and annoying to travel to/from without some method of fast travel and/or flying.

Given that you have a year and a half (with stasis scabbards) before the sword decays though, even just ratting will suffice.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Is there not also a character age limit on entering the newbie areas, as well as an experience level?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Is there not also a character age limit on entering the newbie areas, as well as an experience level?
    It's 300 hours played.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Tarkanian said:
    Look for a time travel machine on Craigslist and go back 2-3 years ago. You can have 350cr in 35 days, with 350 friends on Facebook.
    Best advice on the thread.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Tarkanian said:
    Look for a time travel machine on Craigslist and go back 2-3 years ago. You can have 350cr in 35 days, with 350 friends on Facebook.
    I actually quit for an entire year when they removed that. :s
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • You can also find a rich friend and convince them to play the game, using your referral link (enter REFLINK in-game), then when they spend thousands of dollars on the game you'll get a cut of it.
  • Sena said:
    You can also find a rich friend and convince them to play the game, using your referral link (enter REFLINK in-game), then when they spend thousands of dollars on the game you'll get a cut of it.
    Have tried this several times now.  Have a few people playing (around 5-6) but haven't gotten a credit cut yet, unfortunately.  Looking forward to it - but it usually takes a year or so to get involved in combat, and another year or so to realize that they're going to need arties to participate in any real sense.

• Kresslack said:
    Anyone else still just trying to figure out what the hell the thread name means? Is it supposed to mean "Loads of e-money"?

I assumed the person just didn't want to come up with a thread title for some reason and just mashed the keyboard a couple times.
  • Alright, I'm level 19.3 and on my out of Minia, but before I make the final leap I'm just wondering how much Sewer Ratting gives per hour to the average person.
    I've been able to boost my gp/h for butterflying from ~1000 to a sustainable 3300 by not screwing around as much and including the Scrublands in my route.
    From what I know, Levels 20-50 is the "Dear God, please let me back into Minia" phase where Exp is much easier to come by than gold, so if Ratting or some alternate route doesn't net (badumtish) as much dosh, I may have to stick to butterflies until I make some significant progress.
    From the guides I can read you can make anywhere from 2000 to 3500 an hour ratting depending on luck, but that may change depending on if it'll still take me more than 4-5 drawslashes to kill a black rat at that point. (I've noticed I get about 7 per drawslash) And according to the guides it takes about level 50 to get to get that per hour bashing.

Questing looks like it's going to be a pain, since the rules require it to be kept secret (understandably), and the random first-come first-serve nature of it. So I'm just curious what the best fallback is going to be in that level 20-50 phase if I just can't seem to get or complete quests.
  • edited November 2014
    If you can't manage any quests, ratting is probably your best fallback. Bashing (without quests) will cost you more gold than it gives you until much later, at least level 80+.

Learning a few simple and always-available quests can get you a few thousand per hour easily enough, which is better than it sounds because most of that "hour" is waiting for respawns, not actually doing anything. So, for example, you might be able to do 5 minutes of questing and get 3000 gold, then do something else for 55 minutes, then repeat the quests for 3000 gold in 5 minutes.

About ratting: Don't bother with sewers. They're dangerous at low levels (having aggressive denizens wandering around), they require a significant investment of lessons which are better spent on class skills, and the extra rats per room really isn't a huge advantage. Instead, rat in subdivisions. That gives you hundreds of rooms (so there's room for a lot of people to rat at the same time), laid out in a grid with an overhead map so you don't need to learn your way around, and they're completely safe (nothing dangerous except for rats). Also, skip stronger (old or black) rats for now, they aren't worth the time if they're taking 5+ drawslashes. As you learn more in twoarts, you'll soon be able to kill them a lot faster.
  • Thanks for the advice Sena, but I already got Sewers unfortuantely. But Thankfully, I can take a stab or two from the thugs in Hashan's sewers and live, even better they seem to stick to the far eastern side, while Liirup is in Western Hashan.

After better comparison, yeah, Sewer Ratting is better. It's a guaranteed 7gold per drawslash, which totals up to be more than the 10 per successful net. And the Balance on drawslashing is much faster in Thyr stance. My main worry is that rats wouldn't be as plentiful as butterflies, meaning a lot of lost time (partially true for just walking around Hashan) but they appear just about faster than I can kill them in the sewers.
  • I'm not sure about exact spawning times but I'm fairly sure, if the sewers end up running out on you, ratting in subdivision grants you a bigger area with the same rate of rat appearances -and obviously not having to change direction every two room.

Hopefully someone can confirm it but I'm pretty sure subdivision allows you to be less focused on your path without losing any actual money.
    ^ This is horribly wrong.

• Not reading this entire thread to see if anyone pointed this out, but I'm pretty sure bands don't make BM swords non-decay.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that, of course.

• Ernam said:

Not reading this entire thread to see if anyone pointed this out, but I'm pretty sure bands don't make BM swords non-decay.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that, of course.

They do. the wording on the help file is that they convert the sword into an artefact weapon and give it reset. Artefact weapons don't decay, and reset can't be put onto something that decays last checked.

And it came up a while back when there was a discussion about stasis sheathes and customization with no one contradicting it.

I'd believe a blademaster that -has- a band that said they don't, but it would be pretty surprising.
  • Jakarana said:
    Well after 2 hours of butterflying in Minia I got ~2500 for 200, meaning my math was wrong:
    156000 butterflies, meaning 780 nets and 1560 hours, and 65 days, 2.25 months of game time butterflying.
    104000 butterflies, 520 nets, 1040 hours, 43 days, 1.5 months of nothing but butterflies if I'm going to butterfly then grind to 50.

How long does it take to get to 100? and I'm 90% positive there's a better way then this. Heck I'd resort to theft and murder if I need to.
    Speaking of which, Marks seem like they'd net close to 1 cred per head, and I'd have some progress already done by being level 60, but I'd like to keep KOS status off of my head as someone who doesn't have a house/city to back them up.

| Adventurer Kills        Denizen Kills           Your Deaths                 |
    |   Slain    : 712          Slain    : 18387        To Adventurers : 1895     |
    |   Levels   : 62282        Levels   : 1072859      To Denizens    : 536      |
    |   Avg Level: 87           Avg Level: 58           To Misadventure: 49  

This is what happens when you go Mark at level 50. Totally not worth it.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Malorn said:

They do. the wording on the help file is that they convert the sword into an artefact weapon and give it reset. Artefact weapons don't decay, and reset can't be put onto something that decays last checked.

And it came up a while back when there was a discussion about stasis sheathes and customization with no one contradicting it.

I'd believe a blademaster that -has- a band that said they don't, but it would be pretty surprising.
    Yeah I saw that discussion. The conclusion on that was that you CAN customise a sheathe and/or get it to be non-decay, but it cant be made stasis which is against the point of a scabbard in a lot of cases.
    If you already have an artifact sword and just want a cool sheathe that fits it, that'd be the only real reason.

Also can you change the bands if you get a higher grade one later on?
  • NimNim
    edited November 2014
    Bands make the sword they're attached to resetting/nondecay, but once unattached the sword goes back to normal (even keeping its old decay time!) S'why I would still like to nondecay my blade even though I've got a band, but alas the official policy is that it cannot be done.

Mind you, I don't know if it's disallowed full stop, or if it's just one of those things that can cost hundreds and hundreds of credits to make happen and they just say it's disallowed, but that's probably a moot point for this topic.
  • Seriously, you can make as much as 20K ratting, if you know the right places. Mind-numbingly boring though, and people may accuse you of auto-ratting, a big no-no here. If you can manage the boredom, you can have a solid per day income of 10-15K from ratting, and hit level 40-50, before the boredom really blows your mind.
  • Nim said:
    Bands make the sword they're attached to resetting/nondecay, but once unattached the sword goes back to normal (even keeping its old decay time!) S'why I would still like to nondecay my blade even though I've got a band, but alas the official policy is that it cannot be done.

Mind you, I don't know if it's disallowed full stop, or if it's just one of those things that can cost hundreds and hundreds of credits to make happen and they just say it's disallowed, but that's probably a moot point for this topic.

@Nim:

Pragmatism: I imagine that making the blade customisable to be non-decay would probably be bad for business, since meatbagshumans will just spend 100cr for the non-decay/returning property instead of the cost for the band.

Other theoretical theories: Note that an old reason why blade customisation is not allowed is because of Admins not wanting to allow changes the description/name of the blade. Perhaps the customisation code containing the no-decay/returning/description/name-change is coded in such a way that they can't disable one or more of the other functions(such as making blades nondecay while disallowing allowing description changes). Perhaps modifying to allow said exceptions would require a massive enough overhaul of existing custom'd items that it would be a pain to do so just to accommodate blademasters.

• I would love to be able to make a minor adjustment or two on how my BM blade looks. And it isn't really fair to be the only class not able to. But name shouldn't be able to get changed, just the description of the blade.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I think at one point Tecton or Sarapis said maybe eventually they'd allow some tweaks in the description in the future, but not allowing a name change on the blade? I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember this being discussed before.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• That'd be nice. The name being RNG can be crazy enough, but the RNG features can easily become a jumble of unmatched colors or poorly fitting designs. Even if it's just changing it within the existing possibility set it'd be cool.