Stasis Scarf (Clothing Decay Prevention Artifact)

Warning: Lots of meaningless explaination - TL;DR Included

I really do love some of the clothing items and details and appearances that some people come up with, and just wish that I could stay looking a certain way forever.
Unfortunately all things decay and eventually you have to go find that weird kind of Hooded Argyle Lederhosen that nobody makes anymore.
Stasis is common on actually useful things like scabbards and belt-loops to protect the weapons that they go in, yet its weird that the purely aesthetic stuff is what's the most perishable.
And lets be honest, it gets to be a pain when one specific article of your clothing decays every week and you have to go hunting around in the markets, or hunt down the person who made it.

Which is why I'm suggesting an artifact that layers the clothes we're wearing with non-decay.
However we don't want to discourage these same people who have put all the effort into being tailors from making these amazing clothes we love and adore, which is the reason it should be an artifact foremost, along with a few conditions:
  1. The Scarf is as visible as any other artifact, meaning you may not like it with your looks. Provided you don't have a Orb of Suppression.
  2. The scarf does not affect any goods on you that are enchanted nor are containers.
  3. (?) Once you put on the scarf, you can't take anything affected by it off or put anything else on the scarf would affect while the scarf is still on.
  4. (?) When you take the scarf off, it ages all of the previously non-decay items by however long you've had the scarf on
These are for a number of reasons, the big noticeable ones being 2 and 3.
They're primarily there to help with conflicts since I've heard non-decay tends to have coding conflicts with enchantments, and furthermore, it removes the potential for it to harm the Magi's commercial value, and lessens the Tailor's wallet dent as he's still making plenty of Six-inch Thigh-Highs and Spiked Head Stompers for the local Wiz-kid to make Water-walking.

Condition 3 has a handwavible fluff justification such that it as it freezes the condition of your mundane clothing all about your body, it makes it impossible to remove or add clothing as that's changing the condition.
The possible coding conflict prevention in condition 3 is so that the scarf doesn't have to reapply or remove non-decay on your non-magical equipment every time you change your socks, it's done on removing and wearing the scarf making it hopefully easier to code. If this is deemed NOT an issue, then just removing conditions number 3 and 4 entirely would give benefit for tailors as it allows collectors to still buy multiple outfits and change it when they see something they like, they just need to be careful since their sets of clothes they aren't wearing aren't non-decay anymore, again still giving money circulation for Tailors.

However since the general purpose of the Artifact is "I want to look pretty much this way forever" the point of condition number 4 (which relies on condition 3) is to give a sense of permanence to the decision when putting on the scarf, as well as making you replace your entire outfit giving more money to the Tailors when you DO want to change your look.

So as far as this goes the only drawbacks are:
  • Slightly less economic encouragement to the tailors to make anything but enchantables. But I doubt everyone and their grandmother is going to spend credits to preserve non-magical clothes.
  • It may make private romance awkward, but if it's any consolation drunk people keep their clothes on all the time.
TL;DR - A Scarf that makes non-enchanted non-container clothes you're wearing have the non-decay property would be cool, followed by lots of rambling about economics and possible bug prevention.

Comments

• Sounds kind of neat, I guess. I do like the idea of not having to resew shit unless I'm changing my outfit.

• Stasis doesn't make things non-decay, though, I thought? I thought it just made them decay slower...

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Amarillys said:
    Stasis doesn't make things non-decay, though, I thought? I thought it just made them decay slower...
    That's exactly what stasis does, but it only can be applied to certain containers as I understand it.

• Kresslack said:
    Amarillys said:
    Stasis doesn't make things non-decay, though, I thought? I thought it just made them decay slower...
    That's exactly what stasis does, but it only can be applied to certain containers as I understand it.
    This is entirely incorrect. Stasis halves the decay rate of items directly inside of it.

• edited November 2014
    So a statis scarf arte would act as though all the non-enchanted clothing you were wearing was in one of those containers? I do not really see the harm in that. I think it'd be a fun little thing. I bet it would make a great SoW item.

ETA: Dragonscale Scarf, you can buy it in the colours of the dragons. That would be cool, and give you a bit of flexibility for your look.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:
    Amarillys said:
    This is entirely incorrect. Stasis halves the decay rate of items directly inside of it.
    So if it halves the decay rate....how does it not make them decay slower?

• I think he means to suggest that the item enchanted with stasis decays at a normal rate. Which we all knew, but I could see how we didn't phrase it right.

• i would also prefer being able to mend clothing in the same way that jewellery is repairable. however, i don't find the decay annoying either way, if only because decaying clothing tends to be the catalyst for designing new things for myself.

regarding the stasis enchantment, the enchantment doesn't affect the decay rate of the container itself at all. it does halve the decay rate of items immediately inside of it. this may have been known by everyone involved in that conversation, though lack of clarity in the use of pronouns caused some confusion.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • Ellodin said:
    i would also prefer being able to mend clothing in the same way that jewellery is repairable.
    I would really love this. It would both be useful for keeping clothing longer, yet at the same time not remove the need for tailors and the interaction with them.
  • On further reflection, I think I might just want dragonscale scarves because I wanna look like Nastu from Fairy Tale. Ignore me. Allow tailors to mend clothing.

• Amarillys said:
    The stasis enchantment halves decay time of items stored inside the container. However, there's the box of stasis artefact that acts like a non-decay container for five items, with some restrictions (such as forged items), so there's some precedent for using 'stasis' in an artefact name to communicate that it makes things non-decay.
  • See, and that's helpful information. I still think either halving the time of tailored good or just giving tailors mend would be effective.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I submitted a mending clothing classlead like... 4-5 classleads ago and it was approved, just never implemented. :(
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • How awful!

• What Can Be Customised
    ----------------------
    Almost all items may be customised.
      - A quarterstaff may be customised (see below for details).
      - A mage's staff may be customised.
      - Furniture can be customised (custom description or non-decay only).
      - Ship/seafaring equipment can be customised.
      - Crafted jewellery and clothing may be customised.
      - Alchemy robes may be customised.
      - Some class loyals may be customised.
      - Resetting loyals may be customised in description only.
      - A very few other denizens may be customised.
      - Artefacts may be customised in description or with reactions (they
        already reset and do not decay). This does not change the trade-in
        value of the artefact.

1. Your artefact should work like stasis bags (50% decay time)
    2. Maybe the artefact should just be a new type of enchantment sigil that you attach per clothing/jewellery item

- Exclusive and "hard to find" clothing is how merchants get to set higher prices on them. Joe Schmo can sew anything for you from the public designs for free so that's a non-issue, but designs that are hard to track down probably are so for a reason, otherwise the tailor would have made them public.
    I have a few designs that I stock rarely and expensively and wouldn't appreciate someone preserving one of those items indefinitely instead of purchasing a new one.

3. For the same reason, I don't recommend repairable clothes. Jewellery tends to hold greater significance for lifelong/eternal bonds and such even after the crafter/owner has gone dormant, but again, these sorts of precious inimitable keepsakes are usually preserved with credits (50).
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Rather than a room upgrade, closets should be a type of furniture/container that reduces the decay rate of clothes inside. It gets ridiculously spammy when people keep a mountain of clothes lying on the floor (I've seen several rooms that were more than 50 lines of text because of all the clothes).

50% reduced decay wouldn't really be worth it though unless it was really cheap or held a lot of clothes. If it held 50 and halved decay, I'd pay maybe 20-30 credits for it (a bit more if it never decays).
  • I'd love a room upgrade that doesn't show clothing on the floor. If it worked more like a shop where you SHOW CLOSET or something and could see each item and probe it...I'd definitely look into purchasing that! 

I dislike the furniture container idea for only one reason: I'm particularly OCD about my houses and their furnishings. I'd probably end up buying a new room to serve as a closet anyway and then place such an item in there. Then again..that may cost less than a housing upgrade, which would great.

Either way, I love both of these ideas!
  • Or both. Wardrobe = item. Closet = room. 
    But furniture is far cheaper than 2 room credits necessary for stasis so it'd have to either be an expensive furniture or only grant like 10% stasis.
  • Xith said:
    Or both. Wardrobe = item. Closet = room. 
    But furniture is far cheaper than 2 room credits necessary for stasis so it'd have to either be an expensive furniture or only grant like 10% stasis.
    They can make it whatever price they want. Beds are furniture, and aren't based on normal furniture prices.
  • Sena said:
    Xith said:
    They can make it whatever price they want. Beds are furniture, and aren't based on normal furniture prices.
    Oh, Sena has me dreaming for a room upgrade that allows me to ENTER CLOSET now and retrieve items. :open_mouth: 

• Bluef said:
    Sena said:
    Xith said:
    Oh, Sena has me dreaming for a room upgrade that allows me to ENTER CLOSET now and retrieve items. :open_mouth: 

And @Achimrst‌ so he can come out of it.

again and again and again
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Bluef said:
    Sena said:
    Xith said:

(this could also be Achimrst, I dunno)