Question on setting detail

Do bottle caps exist in Achaea? I was under the impression that all ale came from kegs, and that individually bottled beer is not a thing.

This reflects on a piece jewellery I've been asked to make, and the more I think about it, the more likely that such technology does not exist.

Ta.
"Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I think bottle caps might be too modern. For a pre-industrial society, metal bottle caps offer very little benefit, and are harder to make/use. Things like corks and other plugs would be much more likely.

In real life, they were invented in 1892.
  • I searched through my logs, and can't find any references to metal bottle caps. All I see are bottles stoppered with cork, wax, or coral sealed with stingray fat.
  • edited November 2012
    What about those ones that are stoppered with cork and the metal clip? You know, the ones you can use again and again, like this?

I swear I've seen them with cork ones...
  • Arilles said:
    What about those ones that are stoppered with cork and the metal clip? You know, the ones you can use again and again, like this?
    Those would be more plausible, but pretty expensive and extravagant before industrialisation. There are examples in Achaea of cork stoppers attached to gold chains.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    There are bottles of beer in the Ugly Humgii, but the door is currently barred for reasons of security, so I can't see how they are stoppered. I agree that bottle caps are likely a bit too modern for Achaea. The 'crown cork' we typically see on beer bottles today wasn't patented until 1892 - decades after the start of the Industrial Revolution. While arguments could be made for rather sophisticated metalwork, like the piping used in the settlement on Mount Piraeus, or the entirety of Clockwork Island, I assume that bottle technology has remained in the arena of corks or wax. After all, if it isn't broken, why fix it?
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • Ah, @Amunet. I'm glad we got an expert on the subject.

I totally agree. With all the above.

I've been told the bottles of milk in Bopalopia have a bottle cap, but
    a) this is hearsay and
    b) it was Bopalopia.

I think this myth has been well and truly busted! Ta!
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Bottles of milk in Bopalopia are sealed with wax, or were last time I probed them.
  • Chinese gourds (used as canteens however many thousands of years ago) would have either wooden stoppers or wax ones. Might have to compromise that way perhaps.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• I'm uh... going to say that the existence of bottlecaps probably wouldn't shatter my immersion, to be fair.

Please don't kill me.