Ask your Producer: October 2014

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tharvis said:
    Mainly asking about the beckon because the magi beckon (adduction) respects mass, while apostate and priest beckons ignore mass.
    Adduction is also a room effect that is consistently, passively ticking, so probably wouldn't add the mass-bypass aspect to that.

Synbios said:
    Tecton said:
    Klendathu said:
    Will there be artefact armours available that are better than forged armours? The precedent is there with weapons.
    Yes, we'll most likely be adding artefact armour in with the forging/knight changes.
    @Tecton: Finally! Hm, will there be room for 'decorative' armor bits for Forging, like pauldrons, helmets, faulds and the like? Preferably with the ability to make designs the same way as the other crafting skills?

EDIT: Might as well add a few more, in the non-zero probability that the idea can be considered viable for addition: greaves, sabatons, vambraces, gauntlets, and gorgets.
    From an RP POV, yeah, could be very cool. I'm not sure if we'd add them in as an ability in forging just to save confusion from people thinking that they need to have all of these armour pieces worn for maximum (or any) benefit. You never know though!
    Daeir said:
    A few questions:

Is the layout for Targossas final as it stands now? The western bits are very underdeveloped, though I can't really think of anything that'd go there.

Are there plans to make the weather system meaningful a la environmental interactions in the vein that used to be in the game? (freezing from not wearing warm enough clothes, etc)

Can you spill some juicy teasers on what's in store with the seafaring rework?

Do you ever have plans to extend artefact pet expressiveness in says? They currently can't use *expressions which sucks a little bit when trying to make them more vibrant.

1) The general layout is final, we're not going to change where the islands are! As for expanding the different areas of the city, that's always possible, but we'll probably wait until there's something that needs to be added, rather than just expanding things for the sake of expanding them (and having an area of the city that doesn't do anything of worth).

2) Yes, but probably not to the extent of how things were many years ago, where it's a real pain in the ass if you were underdressed. But having the weather actually have some effect is definitely on the cards.

3) We've not really started on that project yet, but a lot of cool new things to make ships/seafaring more appealing and meshing more with the rest of the game.

4) Nothing I've really thought about. Feel free to IDEA it and we'll consider it!
  • What is the likelihood of a new race being added? (That Elemental sounds amazing.)

• 1) On a scale from 0 (no way) to 10 (for sure), how much likely is that Therophage/Azatlan, SE Meropis, Kashar or something else large will be released till October 2015?

2) Where is the new commodities system relatively to other projects? Before or after multiclass/ships?

3) Will Targossas build sewers or not in the plans at all?

4) How did the investigation on classlead 233 go? Yay or nay? (about Tarot quality of life changes and artie cards)

5) Is it mechanically possible to do step 2, 3 and 4 to the Philosopher's stone (in Alchemist Transmutation) or they are just flavor in the AB file to reflect RL alchemists that never finished it?

6) There are still (a) bugged areas out there with unconnected rooms and also (b) areas that are accessible but dont count for explorers (I dont mean newbie areas, Limbo, etc that dont count by design). What would be the best way to let you and the team know details on them to get such fixed? (b) should be easy, but what for (a), would an entire list of accessible room IDs help to pin point those that are disconnected or just be too much data and the bugs would never be looked at like some ship bugs are till ship overhaul comes?

7) Do lessons in seafaring matter in a meaningful way to deep sea fishing efficiency? Trans visibly better than Mythical or not?

8) Have you considered that with slower tree tattoo for everybody, the drawback of Expert Diagnoser might need to change to not be too much of a setback?

9) Since bombs arent considered a tradeskill, would you consider an artefact that allows you to construct them? Either one for each bomb or one for all.

10) What do you do with volunteer coders/celani that do a very good job, like Makarios as an example, do you send them cookies or just keep them in a simple diet consisting of raw code?
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited October 2014
    I'm just wondering if you can drop any more info on the Runelore replacement for Shaman. My god I hope it's awesome!
    Amarillys said:
    What is the likelihood of a new race being added? (That Elemental sounds amazing.)
    Anything is possible!

Josoul said:
    1) On a scale from 0 (no way) to 10 (for sure), how much likely is that Therophage/Azatlan, SE Meropis, Kashar or something else large will be released till October 2015?

2) Where is the new commodities system relatively to other projects? Before or after multiclass/ships?

3) Will Targossas build sewers or not in the plans at all?

4) How did the investigation on classlead 233 go? Yay or nay? (about Tarot quality of life changes and artie cards)

5) Is it mechanically possible to do step 2, 3 and 4 to the Philosopher's stone (in Alchemist Transmutation) or they are just flavor in the AB file to reflect RL alchemists that never finished it?

6) There are still (a) bugged areas out there with unconnected rooms and also (b) areas that are accessible but dont count for explorers (I dont mean newbie areas, Limbo, etc that dont count by design). What would be the best way to let you and the team know details on them to get such fixed? (b) should be easy, but what for (a), would an entire list of accessible room IDs help to pin point those that are disconnected or just be too much data and the bugs would never be looked at like some ship bugs are till ship overhaul comes?

7) Do lessons in seafaring matter in a meaningful way to deep sea fishing efficiency? Trans visibly better than Mythical or not?

8) Have you considered that with slower tree tattoo for everybody, the drawback of Expert Diagnoser might need to change to not be too much of a setback?

9) Since bombs arent considered a tradeskill, would you consider an artefact that allows you to construct them? Either one for each bomb or one for all.

10) What do you do with volunteer coders/celani that do a very good job, like Makarios as an example, do you send them cookies or just keep them in a simple diet consisting of raw code?
    1) Hrrm, I'd say 9.
    2) Probably after the tradeskill split at the moment.
    3) You guys don't just pee in the river? I know that's what Deucalion does.
    4) No decision yet.
    5) Not possible by regular means, no.
    6) BUG is probably the best bet.
    7) Not beyond getting the ability to fish on the seas.
    8) It's all checks and balances, we're pretty happy with it for this moment in time, but it's something we're keeping an eye on.
    9) Not on the cards at this point, would like to keep that aspect tied to the class.
    10) I'm like Santa, if you're good, you get rewards, if you're bad, you get a knock at the door from goons with baseball bats. In all seriousness, we reward the volunteers who do an awesome job.
    Achimrst said:
    I'm just wondering if you can drop any more info on the Runelore replacement for Shaman. My god I hope it's awesome!
    You'll have to wait and see!
  • Tecton said:
    Amarillys said:
    What is the likelihood of a new race being added? (That Elemental sounds amazing.)
    Anything is possible!
    angel? no? okay... *walk away...*

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Are you going to open up the ghost ship, haunted ruins, and manor this year? Usually you seemed to open them up with frightful fittings and the festivities annex.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• What would be your sage advice for a new player trying to get started in the world?

• On sage advice, do you have any for me? :P
    edited October 2014
    Kayeil said:
    Are you going to open up the ghost ship, haunted ruins, and manor this year? Usually you seemed to open them up with frightful fittings and the festivities annex.
    You can expect some ghoulish delights (both old and new) over this Mayaween season! Festivities usually get into full swing around a week before the big day!

Amarillys said:
    What would be your sage advice for a new player trying to get started in the world?
    Just remember that this is a multiplayer game, really embrace the social aspects! You'll find a wealth of help, support, and friendship from your fellow players!
  • I've heard that balancing bashing between the classes has been and still is one of the big projects being worked on. I'm wondering if you could talk a bit more about bashing changes coming down the pipeline:

1) Is class balance in bashing purely a matter of damage output and survivability, or does it also take into consideration things like accessibility, required investment, and resource costs from class features that have an associated monetary/maintainability/other situational cost (eg: mana usage v. no mana usage, class defences that require karma/devotion/other pools, endurance and will drain...)?
    2) Is there still room in a balanced bashing environment for large disparities between classes (that are hopefully counter-balanced by other unique features), or is it more a matter of standardization?
    3) As many games mature, producers will tweak the investment required to reach end-game so that newly produced content can be consumed by all. Do you have any plans to this effect, or do you think that subsystems and areas/content added in the future will continue to reach characters at all levels of development?
    4) Right now, there seems to be little about the bashing system that requires active thought, beyond moving to the room and hitting a macro until all the things are dead. Are there any plans to increase player engagement during bashing, or is the relatively low skill cap actually a desirable feature?
    Kaelan said:
    I've heard that balancing bashing between the classes has been and still is one of the big projects being worked on. I'm wondering if you could talk a bit more about bashing changes coming down the pipeline:

1) Is class balance in bashing purely a matter of damage output and survivability, or does it also take into consideration things like accessibility, required investment, and resource costs from class features that have an associated monetary/maintainability/other situational cost (eg: mana usage v. no mana usage, class defences that require karma/devotion/other pools, endurance and will drain...)?
    2) Is there still room in a balanced bashing environment for large disparities between classes (that are hopefully counter-balanced by other unique features), or is it more a matter of standardization?
    3) As many games mature, producers will tweak the investment required to reach end-game so that newly produced content can be consumed by all. Do you have any plans to this effect, or do you think that subsystems and areas/content added in the future will continue to reach characters at all levels of development?
    4) Right now, there seems to be little about the bashing system that requires active thought, beyond moving to the room and hitting a macro until all the things are dead. Are there any plans to increase player engagement during bashing, or is the relatively low skill cap actually a desirable feature?
    1) Currently it takes into account damage output and resource costs, as the project continues, we'll be working on expanding things to take more factors into account.
    2) There is some variability in the balanced bashing equations, things like swiftcurse for Shamans will do more damage, but that is offset by a higher resource cost.
    3) Achaea really isn't like other games where you need to be at end-game to experience pretty much all of the content. We'll continue to add content and features that can be experienced by a wide variety of players.
    4) Indeed, one of the goals of our current PVE overhaul is to make bashing more engaging.

Thanks for the great questions!
  • It's been implied that there's no GMCP support for afflictions by intention. Is this true and if so why? T_T

Also if weapon (and armor?) stats are no longer randomized, will they become akin to other crafting skills with designs, etc?

Also will you be my friend? :3

Nim said:

It's been implied that there's no GMCP support for afflictions by intention. Is this true and if so why? T_T

Also if weapon (and armor?) stats are no longer randomized, will they become akin to other crafting skills with designs, etc?

1) Correct - we feel it provides too much of an advantage having that information sent via GMCP.
    2) You'll have to wait and see what's in store there.
    3) Who said I'm not already? :wink: 

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    How lucky are you and why?

• Tecton said:
    Nim said:

It's been implied that there's no GMCP support for afflictions by intention. Is this true and if so why? T_T

1) Correct - we feel it provides too much of an advantage having that information sent via GMCP.

What's the major advantage you want to avoid by not providing affliction info by GMCP, now that serverside curing is up? Just the possibility of those of us with particularly good pings and good clientside curing having access to the same info as the serverside system but without introduced lag, or am I missing something else?
    Amanu said:
    How lucky are you and why?
    Well, I get a world-shattering crit every time I attack something, so I must be pretty lucky! Or maybe I just make my own luck through the shaping of reality to suit my needs.

Eld said:
    Tecton said:
    Nim said:

What's the major advantage you want to avoid by not providing affliction info by GMCP, now that serverside curing is up? Just the possibility of those of us with particularly good pings and good clientside curing having access to the same info as the serverside system but without introduced lag, or am I missing something else?
    Creates too much of a divide between the people who do and do not have the coding knowledge to utilise the functionality. 
  • when forging changes go live, will all existing sets of armor and weapons be immediately converted to their new, fixed values?

• Nakari said:
    when forging changes go live, will all existing sets of armor and weapons be immediately converted to their new, fixed values?
    The answer I got when I messaged Big T was yes.

• Nakari said:
    when forging changes go live, will all existing sets of armor and weapons be immediately converted to their new, fixed values?

I approve of this question.
  • So are all weapons of each type going to have the exact same stats? Just wondering from the comments I've seen.

If that is true, how is forging going to change? Will there be any differences among each type of weapon, or only runeblades? Will there be a system like Lusternia's where you can add a max of X points on top of the stats to finesse the items?

Also, I hope decorative armour becomes available. I totally want customized pauldrons and gauntlets on my magi to go over my robes. Also opens up another avenue of player created items on top of tailoring/etc.
This discussion has been closed.