Intro Videos

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
So I was recently attempting to explain to a friend what MUD's are and how Achaea is specifically. The thing is, it's a little difficult to explain to someone the experience that is a text game, like Achaea. The closest I could come is likening it to reading a good book; you visualize what you read as you read it. The difference being that with text games, you get to be involved in the outcome of the story and determine your character's actions.

I figured it's probably better to show than to say, so I've decided to try to put together some walk-through and tutorial/introduction videos just to go over the general features of Achaea, describe the world and environment, and just give people who might be intrigued something a bit more in-depth to reference in order to see if it might be something they're interested in. 

I've never done recording or anything like that, but I got it set up and will be working on the first video soon. That being said, I'm posting here to see if some people might be interested in joining in from time to time via Teamspeak/Mumble/Skype, or silently and just in-game to help explore and demonstrate how to play. I'll be doing this on an alt which will be created during the first video. 

Hopefully, this turns out to be something that is educational and informative, as well as beginner experience for recording these types to things for future projects.

Cheers. 

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Good idea, make sure you use the HTML5 client though!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Klendathu said:
    Good idea, make sure you use the HTML5 client though!
    Yep, it'll be done using the HTML5 client via the Achaea website. Eventually, if this goes well, I'll get into Mudlet, but first things first. Gotta keep it simple.

• Remember to post links, kthnxbai
  • Make it a Siren alt.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • That'd be great, Kresslack!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    These sound great! I'll probably use them too, I have a non-Achaean friend wanting to try Achaea and anything to help is good stuff.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Is it bad that this thread made me giggle at the idea of playing Achaea on twitch?

• Amarillys said:
    Is it bad that this thread made me giggle at the idea of playing Achaea on twitch?
    Why not?
  •  Jukilian said:
    Amarillys said:
    Is it bad that this thread made me giggle at the idea of playing Achaea on twitch?
    Why not?
    I can just imagine a lot of metagaming. Hey, Jukilian's up on twitch, let's go see what his character is doing!

• He's raiding with Twitch on? Lol let's go listen to their party chat and strats!

I could probably see that happening.
  • See, that is something I didn't know...

• Doesn't @Dunn or one of the A-team have a Twitch link in their signature for streaming raids? Not sure that he uses it, but I assume he did at one time.
    Jacen said:
    Doesn't @Dunn or one of the A-team have a Twitch link in their signature for streaming raids? Not sure that he uses it, but I assume he did at one time.
    Yes, it's here: 

Also, this might have to be put on hold as far as having actual narration, because apparently there's a lot of motherboard noise (that distinct buzz) that I don't think I can eliminate right now due to using a usb headset. Still fiddling with it.

• I haven't stream in awhile, but it's mostly because I forgot about it/have a busy schedule these days.

• @Kresslack How bad is it? I might be able to clean up the audio some, if not remove the buzz entirely. If you want, send me a sample file. matt at ironrealms dot com.
  • I can provide narration if you want. I'm a rather talented voice actor :D
  • Awesome idea! I generally tell my friends its an elaborate chat room, with a story tied to it.  
    Aegoth said:
    I can provide narration if you want. I'm a rather talented voice actor :D
    Wait, where's my "WTF" button?!?

@Sarapis I'll get you a sample soon. It's not quite as loud as my voice, but pretty noticeable.

• Probably won't be able to help with that enough to be worthwhile then unfortunately. Getting rid of small background buzzes is one thing, but that sounds pretty severe. Still, send it over and who knows.
  • Kresslack said:
    Aegoth said:
    I can provide narration if you want. I'm a rather talented voice actor :D
    Wait, where's my "WTF" button?!?

@Sarapis I'll get you a sample soon. It's not quite as loud as my voice, but pretty noticeable.
    Seriously though, if there's good video, but the audio sucks then somebody else could narrate. You could even script the it if you want them to say specific things at specific points.

I think the whole idea has a lot of potential and I'm sure we can solve this if we work together.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • You'll definitely need to plan out a script that goes with video. Would be kind of a mess otherwise.
    Sarapis said:
    @Kresslack How bad is it? I might be able to clean up the audio some, if not remove the buzz entirely. If you want, send me a sample file. matt at ironrealms dot com.
    @Sarapis: Sent it just now.