Classleads September 2014

Comments

• Ernam said:

It takes about 8-12 hours to "solve" the limb damage equations, per ability, to mathematical certainty.

While it's certainly a(n unecessary) pain in the ass, it's hardly impossible.
    Mind explaining your method? The way I look at it is that the best you can do is reduce uncertainty to small, discrete ranges where you don't know what will happen, simply because of the lack of control over HP test values. 
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited October 2014
    Jacen said:
    Ernam said:

It takes about 8-12 hours to "solve" the limb damage equations, per ability, to mathematical certainty.

While it's certainly a(n unecessary) pain in the ass, it's hardly impossible.
    Mind explaining your method? The way I look at it is that the best you can do is reduce uncertainty to small, discrete ranges where you don't know what will happen, simply because of the lack of control over HP test values. 
    If you figure out the exact formula for the limb breaking in general then you can get it down to an exact amount. While this also requires alot of math that most of us are not likely used to dealing with.

Would make much more sense for Achaea to just give the formula's instead of someone just cracking it.

Doesn't add any skill in fighting (imo) or experience really to know when your oppoents limbs are going to break, (except maybe basic class experience) It just takes a little counter and a formula for it.

Edit:Also you can generally tell from the bugs that come from things like this happening that typically all they will do is change 1 element in the original formula.

So for instance, If the formula happened to be

(Oppoents max life /.005) +30 x (100 +10) /max health = number of punches or whatever
    they could easily just switch the +30 to +10 or the x 100+10 to x100 or something and come up with lower numbers. (which seems to be what they generally do).

Cooper said:
    So BMs are pretty much immune to Knights now. Healthtrans heals more, mir reduces damage, prone parry bypass roughly half as effective.

----
    This one time, Manifest was fighting me when I was bm.
    Now to be fair I had already died twice to dsl damage, but had also brokenstar'd him twice do to voidfist para.

So anyways we are fighting in underworld and he runs off so of course I chase him.. into a totem.. and then he breaks my torso with delph/delph and my leg with delph/delph and then I wake up and he dsls my other leg. then impales. I'm in mir stance with most of my life. I sip up to full (because shit the impale for dsb is 4 seconds. and then I get disemboweled, Did a ton of damage but since you know I had 3800 life and Shin heal with 100 shin was 1500 even.. 40% shin heal is nice.

On the other hand if you have 7k life, that 1500 is only 21% (HUGE differnece)
    Since everything is percent based. that ment stacking health as bm made shin heal less effective overall.

-----
    But main point of this part of the post is.. Everything is Knight immune now unless it can't survive dsl damage.

• edited October 2014
    When someone figures this out please let me know so I can update my limb counting, please?
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    am I correct in assuming monks are in a bad place atm with limb damage nerf + 3 minute reset? From an outside perspective it appears like preps now take longer to set up but shorter to reset

• Sena said:
    So, what does spirituality push do? And what are the new mace stats?
    New mace stats, by the way, are just 145/something/205.  All they did was shift 5 points from damage to speed.  My level 1 artie mace was not affected at all by this change; only maces summoned from Spirituality.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    All knight bypass methods are avoidable if you know how. Paladin/Infernal have the perk of gravehands/piety but they sacrifice speed making things like gecko bypassing(still 100% curable) harder. With this change not only can someone completely ignore your prep attempts given the know-how, they can also ignore your break chain -without- the know-how. Even if I did the smart thing and used their parried limb for the first break w/ delphinium, they have enough time to switch parry over to the other leg, and laugh.

To avoid DSB you have the options:
    -cure out of bypass attempts meaning you'll never be prepped for one in the first place (all are 100% avoidable with the know-how)
    -cure torso (insanely easy to keep track of with scripting such as SLC)
    -tumble (take slightly more damage than an unbroken torso dsb)
    -tank it because you sip for more than we can deal damage pre/post dsb
    -tank with a class ability such as kai heal or tarot
    -stop the dsb with a class ability such as mind throw, augment, prone absolve
    -dodge half a dsb at the start of a break chain. (breaks at 11, prepped at 10, you DSL LEFT LEG DELPH DELPH, hit/mis leg broken, still standing)
    -3 minutes to somehow work around -all- of that.

Yes knight is stupid strong in low-mid tiers where three-six dsls kills everything. That's ridiculous, that should change. But so should the impotence that is knight at higher tiers.

Either make our prep less ridiculous or make our finisher (not even a kill) less avoidable. 

Thus ends my rant. Feel free to tear me apart as I know plenty of people think Knight is 'fine' or 'in a good place' and to those people I sadly shake my head and say you probably haven't played it seriously in a while.

NOTE: Please assume we're not talking about Infernal here because Infernal is Infernal and vivisect is vivisexy and I'm jealous of it.

tl;dr
    Knight changes soon pls.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Aktillum said:
    am I correct in assuming monks are in a bad place atm with limb damage nerf + 3 minute reset? From an outside perspective it appears like preps now take longer to set up but shorter to reset
    You're wrong.

Rhk + punches still means very fast prep for monks. Artied Dragon level health in scs without knuckles is roughly 11 punches now, up from roughly 8 or 9 depending on health. At the highest levels of opponents it means an extra rhk combo per limb prep, or about 10 seconds for a quad break setup.

If you have an opponent that is just running away/leaving the room constantly, just don't fight them, because there's absolutely nothing monks can do against people walking out of the room (which is the biggest problem with monks).

• So, I'm still lost with this limb damage thing. I tested on a target with literally no defenses, observed that there was no regen going on or anything, no armor, no favor. I found that a DRS JBP = 1.17 UNS JBP. Testing on a different target, 4122 health, I found that 10 DRS JBP broke, while 13 UNS JBP broke.

This means that, in units of UNS JBP, I did between 1200 and 1300 damage while UNS, and while in DRS, I did between 1053 and 1170 damage. Numbers are obviously not reconcilable. 

I don't even know how to continue from here.
  • Jacen said:
    So, I'm still lost with this limb damage thing. I tested on a target with literally no defenses, observed that there was no regen going on or anything, no armor, no favor. I found that a DRS JBP = 1.17 UNS JBP. Testing on a different target, 4122 health, I found that 10 DRS JBP broke, while 13 UNS JBP broke.

This means that, in units of UNS JBP, I did between 1200 and 1300 damage while UNS, and while in DRS, I did between 1053 and 1170 damage. Numbers are obviously not reconcilable. 

The numbers are not linear. There's an upper bound/ceiling, and a lower bound/floor. Find where your numbers go wonky, and apply that. 
  • Jacen said:
    So, I'm still lost with this limb damage thing. I tested on a target with literally no defenses, observed that there was no regen going on or anything, no armor, no favor. I found that a DRS JBP = 1.17 UNS JBP. Testing on a different target, 4122 health, I found that 10 DRS JBP broke, while 13 UNS JBP broke.

DRS punches deal more damage.

Armor has no effect.  Regen has no effect.  Favors have no effect.  Your STR has no effect.  Their Dex and Avoidance have no effect.  All that matters is their max health and your stance.
  • Jacen said:

Why are you suddenly assuming that health damage directly correlates to limb damage? That has never been the case.

• Health damage absolutely does not correlate to limb damage, for any class I have solved the equations for.  They're totally different equations, with totally different inputs and methods of mitigation.

Regarding sharing the equations, or method of solving for them, contact me via message or PM.
  • Er, but it does. I've been using the below numbers for like 3 years, and it was wrong on maybe 2 or 3 people in that time, after Nemutaur or whoever made the breakpoint formula a little more accurate

Date: 9/23/2009 at 11:16
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Tekura - Limb breaks

This document describes a very accurate way to predict limb breaks as a
    function of the max health of your opponent. The amount of damage a limb
    takes before breaking depends on the maximum health of your opponent.

A first thing I measured is the amount of damage each of the Tekura
    attacks do, in all different stances. Following is a table of these
    results. All numbers are in units of unstanced HFP.

-------------------------------------------------------
    |     | NO  | DRS | SCS | RTS | BRS | HRS | EGS | CTS |
    | HFP |  1  | 1.3 |  1  | 0.7 | 1.4 | 1.1 | 0.8 | 0.6 |
    |        |      |       |      |       |       |       |       |       |
    | SPP  |  1  | 1.3 |  1  | 0.7 | 1.4 | 1.1 | 0.8 | 0.6 |
    | HKP |  1  | 1.3 |  1  | 0.7 | 1.4 | 1.1 | 0.8 | 0.6 |
    | UCP | 1.03| 1.34| 1.03| 0.72| 1.45| 1.14| 0.83| 0.62|
    |        |        |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
    | WWK | 1.97| 2.36| 2.56| 1.67| 1.18| 1.77| 1.77| 1.37|
    |        |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
    | SDK | 2.35| 2.82| 3.06| 1.99| 1.4 | 2.11| 2.11| 1.64|
    |         |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
    | MNK | 1.97| 2.36| 2.56| 1.67| 1.18| 1.77| 1.77| 1.37|
    |         |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
    | SNK | 1.97| 2.36| 2.56| 1.67| 1.18| 1.77| 1.77| 1.37|
    |        |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
    | AXK | 5.57| 6.69| 7.24| 4.73| 3.34| 5.01| 5.01| 3.9 |

The next thing that was measured is the limb damage that is needed to
    break limbs of test targets with different maximum healths. This
    resulted in the formula:

------------------------------------------------
            |  breakpoint = 2.96 * ln(maxhealth) - 16.51  |
            ------------------------------------------------

What is the meaning of this formula?

You assess your opponent, you take the maxhealth and fill it into the
    formula. The result gives the amount of damage a limb of your opponent
    will take before it breaks. For each punch/kick you need to add the
    number in the table for the corresponding stance/hit. When the damage
    exceeds the breakpoint, the limb will break.

Remember that knuckles do effect limb damage, so you will need those
    into the calculations if you are using them.

If you notice any inaccuracies, feel free to let me know.

Penned by my hand on the 11th of Ero, in the year 519 AF.
  • I can just say that everybody has a fixed limb health with an added amount of health dependent on max health.  So your equation ends up looking like this:

(FixedHitpoints/PunchDamage) + (MaxHitpoints/PunchDamage)

You must deal at least this much damage to break a limb.  Often you'll test on two opponents with much different max health who require the same number of hits to break, and this problem is exacerbated if you're testing DRS punches, which do more damage (as an example, I tested DRS on one opponent with 3244 hitpoints and another with 4179 hitpoints, both took 8 DRS punches to break - that's a lot of gray area).
  • It only takes like 8 seconds of combos at the start of a fight to get a break point. Prior calculations are an optional, unnecessary endeavour. Good luck with it if that's what you want to do, but don't let it stress you out.
  • edited October 2014
    Jovolo said:
    It only takes like 8 seconds of combos at the start of a fight to get a break point. Prior calculations are an optional, unnecessary endeavour. Good luck with it if that's what you want to do, but don't let it stress you out.

It's considerably longer for knights, and totally different for BMs.  The reason I set about solving the game's limb damage equations in the first place was for Blademaster, because of how difficult it is to determine breakpoints using the method you described.  With things like legslash, armslash, and centreslash, you can't break a limb without giving the other limb an unknown amount of limb damage.  Thus, if you don't have the equation, you're either playing a guessing game, or best-case, using those cheese-dick "magic number" methods and "prep path" methods that are frequently wrong, and break down after the first limb break.  For knights, breaking a limb simply takes too damn long to do what you're describing, and can often be incorrect if your rapiers don't have exactly the same damage stat (which is almost always the case for those who match speed stats on rapiers).

In short, what you're describing is totally fine for monks (as is, most of the time, limbprobe), but doesn't work at all for knights and BMs (four of the five classes that heavily rely on limb breaks for their primary kill strategies).

I'm a huge proponent of simplifying limb damage equations, or simply releasing them, so it doesn't take a mad scientist to reliably break limbs when expected.
  • @Makarios So no quiver capacity change coming or is it one of those to be done laters? :(.
  • Datrius said:
    @Makarios So no quiver capacity change coming or is it one of those to be done laters? :(.

... why?
  • One of the later ones.
  • Makarios said:
    One of the later ones.
    Any chance of an eta on that one?
  • edited October 2014
    Talysin said:
    Ernam said:
    You keep saying how awesome priest is, and yet I see like... 2 active priests.
    I don't agree that there's clear correlation here. Priest is a faction class, changing class is expensive, most people will not change class abruptly solely for PK.
    Many people have switched class irrespective of their RP faction. Nowadays it seems that alts are more en vogue. Regardless, we would see more priests around.

Eh. Personally, I dislike playing a character in Targossas. It's boring to me. I alt priest anyway (as I think everyone knows by now), but not often. Would play it full time if I could in Mhaldor. The very fact that I'm willing to alt just to play it (when I don't generally alt as anything) is evidence of how awesome a class it is.

Give me like a Torc and maybe an artie mace and my offense would probably be unstoppable.

It's not that priest's -offense- is -better- than every other class. There are other classes with powerful offense. It's just that it can kill people fast, it isn't really stopped by any particular curing tactics (like, say, heartseed is), so it's effective in every tier, and it's combined with superb defense (easily the best hinder in the game + empathy + care + revitalization + bliss), all of which can be used without really losing any offense (see also: active bedevil), AND with piety, so people can't really run away. Priest also has leg breaks to stop evade, devotion force to easily stop tumble (while continuing to afflict), prone and/or angel strip (which is really fast) to counter shield, as well as abilities that go through shield . . . need I go on?

Edit: The fact that I had to teach the people who have been priest for years how to play it is a better indication of why there aren't many priests around. It is a misunderstood class.

• Ernam said:
    Jovolo said:
    It only takes like 8 seconds of combos at the start of a fight to get a break point. Prior calculations are an optional, unnecessary endeavour. Good luck with it if that's what you want to do, but don't let it stress you out.

It's considerably longer for knights
    Probably twice as long, worst case. Not difficult to break an arm or head (i.e. a limb your opponent probably isn't going to worry about you hitting). 16 seconds at the start of the fight to make sure you know when your opponent's limbs will break isn't a huge deal. The problem Knight has is using that knowledge afterwards, since bypassing parry with rapiers that aren't at the very top end of speed is fucking awful against certain classes.
  • Just to give you an idea of how brutally necessary limb counters are for Monks:

Bards have a lot of ways of fucking up my prep.  My prep, by the way, consists of bypass combos.  But Bards have a ton of evasion, especially if they have trans Avoidance.  If I miss a Roundhouse kick, that opens up the punches to being either evaded or parried, with a high likelihood that at least one will be mitigated. 

If I'm not counting, just being like "eh it'll work itself out" then there's an extreme likelihood, after eleven or twelve combos, that one limb is at least one point off from being fully prepped.  And that means it's very, very likely that I'll break one limb and not the other, which renders the whole point of prepping limbs in the first place completely moot.  However, if I know how far off I am from breaking any one limb, I can correct things and bring all limbs back to fully prepped without accidentally breaking one before the rest.

I figured Jovolo was trolling, so I'm not really responding to him.
  • You don't need to know limb damage formula - which is what was being discussed - to count limbs accurately in terms of how often you have hit them, they're completely separate entities. In my post I was only referring to Monks. Outliers are outliers (bard/jester/serp). The majority of people can be broken by a Monk within the first 10 seconds of a fight. I wasn't trolling.
  • edited October 2014
    You forgot BM, which can parry a leg even when proned, which means I absolutely have to break arms before breaking legs which both doubles my prep time and the chance for fuckups.

E: And you do need an accurate formula - not THE formula, necessarily, but one close enough that you're not going to break limbs when you intend to merely prep them - in order to bypass Augment on a BM.

E2: And re-reading your post, I'm pretty much just annoyed that you assume the "majority" of people being easy to prep means I don't have to utilize all the resources at my disposal.  Fighting without a counter is okay against most people, but fighting with a counter is okay against all people.
  • Bukariin said:
    You forgot BM, which can parry a leg even when proned, which means I absolutely have to break arms before breaking legs which both doubles my prep time and the chance for fuckups.
    He's talking about breaking a single limb, not as part of setting them up for a kill, but just to find out how many hits it takes to break. Meaning that an actual formula for calculating break points is unnecessary, not that limb counters are unnecessary.
  • Sena said:
    Bukariin said:
    He's talking about breaking a single limb, not as part of setting them up for a kill, but just to find out how many hits it takes to break. Meaning that an actual formula for calculating break points is unnecessary, not that limb counters are unnecessary.
    Two things wrong with this:

1) My opponent can arbitrarily apply salve early to throw off my count, and
    2) It means additional "pregame" prep just to figure out how many blows it'll take to break a limb.

I can bypass both by having a reliable formula.
  • I'll point you to sawbones if you're worried about people doing that, it's what it was invented for. There are other methods around a fake apply though, and as a Monk you have a pretty certain one, lol. Go figure it out! I thought that was the fun part of combat.

Point number 2? Yes, and these these things are a part of combat (just like mind-games in point 1). Like I said, you don't need a limb formula to fight as you can do it with just a counter and gathering your break points at the start of the fight and extrapolating +/- punches for different health ranges. It's up to you if you want to do the calculations to find an accurate formula, but don't pretend like it's some vital aspect of playing your class, because it isn't.