Classleads September 2014

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Just imagine if curses used EQ.

I think Jhui would've made a Shaman version of Rageblade.

• Ah, yeah, a diadem would have helped.

• Blights can no longer be swiftcursed, so if it's 1 second each unhidden it's about on par with Evileye or slightly faster. It seems more of a user friendliness buff where you don't get hindered til your swiftcurse timer runs out etc. or burn willpower putting it back up repeatedly.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • XerXer Langley
    Faster than Evileye - Evileye is 2.4 without Nimble, 2.2 with.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0

• I'm pumped to see some changes to Shaman - not that they honestly appear to be world-shattering (they seem more like tweaks than strategy-changers).

I ran out of classleads, but one of the things on my list is to suggest a few ways to address the actual main reason no top-end fighters play Shaman: It has absolutely no offensive stat dependency in PVP.

It's always been my opinion that all classes should get a benefit from stats, otherwise, you end up with classes that people with artefacts simply will not play.  Shaman isn't the only one, but it's definitely one of the worst as far as artefacts go.  Give it some Int or Strength benefits, and I think you'll see a lot more people using the class.
  • And Jexter needs some desterity buffs.
  • Pretty sure Bleed vs Denizens = no Swiftcurse.
  • Xith said:
    And Jexter needs some desterity buffs.
    This.  I stupidly respec'd my Mhun Jester for dex before consulting with anybody re: what dex actually does, so now I have a stupidly undertanked, underpowered, terrible bashing, albeit kind of dodgy but mostly terrible Jester.

I'm going to sit on it for awhile in hopes that there's going to be some changes, but if that doesn't happen, I'm probably going to change class to Serpent (because he hasn't bought a lesson bundle yet so switching classes would actually be cheaper than switching race).
  • And then still be squishy cause you have almost (if not? I haven't checked race stats in awhile) the lowest con of any race... You could just spend an extra 5 bucks on membership for 100cr to change race (if you haven't bought it already/it's close to renewing)

• My point is that I want Dex to matter for Jesters more than just blunt/cutting mitigation before I do anything with him. 

The last time I changed race/class when some positive changes were rumored about my race/class, I was Sylvan pre-Heartseed, and left the class like one week before Heartseed got implemented.  So I'm going to hold out a bit.
  • Bukariin said:
    Xith said:
    And Jexter needs some desterity buffs.
    This.  I stupidly respec'd my Mhun Jester for dex before consulting with anybody re: what dex actually does, so now I have a stupidly undertanked, underpowered, terrible bashing, albeit kind of dodgy but mostly terrible Jester.

I'm going to sit on it for awhile in hopes that there's going to be some changes, but if that doesn't happen, I'm probably going to change class to Serpent (because he hasn't bought a lesson bundle yet so switching classes would actually be cheaper than switching race).
    So you should have about 16 dex, right? Don't underestimate the usefulness. Jesters don't need STR or INT, and your other option is constitution, which seems nice except that you have to worry about the timing of your offense, so being able to dodge limb damage is a little more useful, get Light Stepper and have speed and acrobatics up. The only damage you have to really worry about then is magic, for which I recommend the relatively affordable Ring of the Magus.

I noticed the recent Impale/tumble change so that's gonna suck a little vs knights. But your goal is to get your prep and combos in before you get prepped, cause getting prepped for damage hurts as a jester no matter what your health. I recommend avoiding the damage altogether. (oh Trans Avoidance)

But they should introduce something, like maybe a 0.1 second increase in bomb stun/entangle per dexterity point or whatever. Or that glue bomb idea where the glue is more effective with dex. Chance to drop = 10/d, so with 11 dex an opponent could drop/pack a sticky bomb 91% of the time, while with 18 dex like 55%. Idk just thoughts.
  • edited October 2014

Bukariin said:
    My point is that I want Dex to matter for Jesters more than just blunt/cutting mitigation before I do anything with him. 

The last time I changed race/class when some positive changes were rumored about my race/class, I was Sylvan pre-Heartseed, and left the class like one week before Heartseed got implemented.  So I'm going to hold out a bit.
    Just to recap, with Con you have a higher health pool. With armor you take less damage. With a successful dodge, you take zero damage. So in a way dex does matter. I recommend:
    - dex spec (+2)
    - Light Stepper + Agile (+1)
    - Ring of the Magus (275 cr)
    - Shield of Absorption (500 cr)
    - trans Avoidance
    - belt, bracelet, sip ring are ideal
    EDIT: And level 2 boots if you want to make people really mad
  • So basically, you want him to unnecessarily blow a ton of credits, when he could just go something like Con spec'd Raja + dex trait and lose nothing hugely noticeable, but gain a decent chunk of health. For a fraction of the cost. Relying on a dodge to save you from a crucial hit is like relying on your opponent dcing midfight. (something you shouldn't be doing)
    Raja+dex+light stepper+con spec+trans avoidance/jester defs/speed is already more than enough.

Bukariin: Level 73
    dex Mhun+dex trait = 16 dex/10 con = 300+73(3*10+4) = 2782hp
    con Raja+dex trait = 13 dex/14 con = 300+73(3*14+4) = 3658hp
    or con Raja+con trait = 12 dex/15 con = 300+73(3*15+4) = 3877hp

I honestly don't forsee them giving Jester anything dex based anytime future. There's no logical reason for it (granted a lot of illogical things happen, but y'know)

• edited October 2014
    No when I had the setup mentioned I'd guess physical classes only hit me about 60% of the time, and with the +2 from boots it was more like 50%. There are ways around it like that one accuracy skill that some class had... and paralysing or hindering to prevent dodges, but their time spent doing that just to get the prep is a couple extra fashions you can steal.

I don't know which kind of logic you mean, but jesters are inherently dexterity-themed. It makes absolute sense for them to do it and after they gave dex boosts to serpent they hinted at applying the idea to other classes.

EDIT: Call me crazy (I am) but I also find a little extra challenge rewarding. Most of the people had no idea they were just beaten by a jester with 11 con but for me it's a little more satisfying and in keeping with the mood of the class, one of roguish trickery and humiliating your enemies to death.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited October 2014
    I think the problem with Jexter is that the dodging is effectively nullified by to-hit / accuracy artes (SPs, knuckles), leaving you a squishy dex-spec that isn't dodging as much as you wish you were, with minimal con to make up for it. So if you intend to roll dex-spec, definitely have con artes + sip ring as a backup.

Jesters don't gain any offensive benefit from dex, like how dex = dstab speed for Serps. So if you roll dex-spec, you're pretty much gambling your defense on a whole lot of factors. You really want to spec con / tanking, then dex.

• Mizik said:
    Pretty sure Bleed vs Denizens = no Swiftcurse.
    Swiftcurse still works against denizens.
  • Last batch of classlead cookies, straight from the Tectoven:

ANNOUNCE NEWS #4224                                     (10/13/2014 at 15:42)  
    From   : Tecton, the Terraformer
    To     : Everyone
    Subject: October 2014 Classlead Changes - Part V
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All good things must come to an end, including the approved CLASSLEADs from this season! Don't worry 
    though, there's plenty more in store in the very near future (including a couple of changes that fit 
    in with bigger projects).

But that's enough waffling on, here's the latest batch:

Devotion
    --------
    * INQUISITION will now deal health damage to the victim instead of limb breaks.

Domination
    ----------
    * ISTRIA (Pathfinder) has had its health pool reduced significantly.
    * SUMMONing of entities is now unforceable.

Elementalism
    ------------
    * REFLECTION has had its equilibrium cost increased.

Physiology
    ----------
    * WRACK will now deliver weariness correctly.
    * INUNDATE'ing the choleric humour will now be more effective on targets with sensitivity.
    * High phlegmatic fluid levels will now extend the next smoke balance, rather than blocking it.

Shindo
    ------
    * VOIDFIST duration has been decreased (see Two Arts section for more information).
    * AUGMENT has been added to the skill.

Spirituality
    ------------
    * MACE weapon statistics have been adjusted. Some damage has been removed and added to the speed 
    stat.
    * DRAIN is now a percentage of max health, rather than a fixed amount.
    * SMASH has been sped up.
    * PUSH has been added to the skill.

Tekura
    ------
    * Limb damage from attacks was scaled back on all attacks.
    * JUMPKICK damage has been reduced slightly.
    * CAT stance has had its balance penalty reduced.

Two Arts
    --------
    * Stances are now unstrippable.
    * POMMELSTRIKE will no longer stun the target.
    * POMMELSTRIKE has had its accuracy increased.
    * POMMELSTRIKE will now extend the duration of the VOIDFIST effect by a short margin. This effect 
    has diminishing returns.

Penned by My hand on the 10th of Glacian, in the year 666 AF.

• Woah Priest and Alchemist both looking insanely good.
  • edited October 2014
    You keep saying how awesome priest is, and yet I see like... 2 active priests.

Is it significantly better than it was before?  Yes.

Are there still several classes that dramatically exceed its combat potential in both 1v1 and group scenarios?  Definitely.

Until that changes, I don't see what the point is of repeatedly stating how "amazing" or "insane" it is.  Just saying.
  • Muh limb damage

The worst part is now I have to redo my limb damage formula.  Does anybody know if it was scaled back by a fixed amount or a percentage or both?
  • edited October 2014
    Details on our new shiny ability

Augment (Shindo)                              Known: Yes
    Syntax:            SHIN AUGMENT <ALL|amount>
    Details:
    By augmenting your reflexes with shin energy, you will reach such a
    degree of skill with the blade that you are able to deflect blows aimed
    at your limbs, even when prone.

** This ability is used in conjunction with the parry ability.

EDIT: In short, while augment is active, BMs can parry while prone.

The variable amount basically translates to 'more shin spent, longer augment duration'. However, there is a cooldown that also scales with shin expenditure. Thus, the more shin spent, the longer the augment duration and cooldown.

EDIT EDIT: I also presume this was in response to:

Report #99
    Submitted by: Mizik          Status      : Approved                 Priority : -1
    Skill       : Shindo         Ability     : Balancing
    Problem:
    After adding the dexterity changes from CLASSLEAD 88, sweepkick still allows a Monk to completely 
    eliminate the Avoidance skill and Dexterity stat for predictable prep. The Riding skill and 
    Balancing ability were created to balance this problem. The oversight remains in Blademaster.
    Solution #1:
    Add Balancing to Shindo.
    Solution #2:
    Allow Blademasters full offense while mounted. It is a completely unjustified mechanical imbalance 
    added purely for roleplay flavour.
    Solution #3:
    Decision:
    We'll discuss potential alternative options.

• The only thing wrong with Priest right now is that the good Priest players are in other factions.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Ernam said:
    I don't agree that there's clear correlation here. Priest is a faction class, changing class is expensive, most people will not change class abruptly solely for PK.
  • Can Augment also parry while paralyzed?  Otherwise Monks are pretty boned vs. BM
  • RIP Monk
  • What was the reason behind the monk limb damage changes? Monks don't use venoms or have much active hinderance(besides batter/kai cripple), so I thought that was the trade off..?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Bukariin said:
    Can Augment also parry while paralyzed?  Otherwise Monks are pretty boned vs. BM
    Pretty sure augment only allows parry while prone, but afflictions can still stop parrying even while augmented.

• XerXer Langley
    edited October 2014
    No, you can augment parry while paralysed at the moment
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Ernam said:

Is it significantly better than it was before?  Yes.

Are there still several classes that dramatically exceed its combat potential in both 1v1 and group scenarios?  Definitely.

Until that changes, I don't see what the point is of repeatedly stating how "amazing" or "insane" it is.  Just saying.

The fact that everyone who wants to abuse priest can't because they aren't Targossian doesn't make it a bad class lol.

Priest is hot right now. Its only weakness is its willpower pool.

Alchemist is even hotter, though. Like wtf. Wasn't sensitivity/choleric already an instakill?