Dropped Gold

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited September 2014
    haha newbs, I once dropped 2 million on delphinus which he promptly donated to Eleusis. When I was an active raider i used to buy cr with real money, 100 a pop, sell them for money to buy inks, ink 12 starbursts, forget to pack it and die in EI and lose it all. 

I can't remember how many millions of gold I lost. I can understand that people hated me since I would raid for 8-9 hours a day (Sry delphinus)

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    I believe we need a mechanical system in place that magically returns high amounts of dropped gold to the player who dropped it. Such a system would be perfect for New Achaea where people only pretend to role-play - where all possible scenarios, such as dropping gold, have been bureaucratically beaten into horse-pulp on forums until IRE added more rules, more mechanics, more cattle prods.

Forums are a microcosm of society as a whole. Bleat! You sheep! Bleat!
  • edited September 2014
    Halios said:
    I'll almost always give it back, considering I've dropped plenty of times.

However, regardless of what -my- decision would be, there's certain people/situations where I'm not gonna feel sorry for them if it happens.

Example: Probably the incident you're talking about, where Talysin dropped a ton of gold today on clouds when dieing. The coincidental hilarity being that just hours earlier Talysin had killed Kei in Gare for the second time claiming "it's her fault for idling there."

Kei didn't want to issue, saying the death doesn't mean much, and then low and behold Talysin starts whining in an ooc manner about the gold dropping.

Seems rather hypocritical. If you're going to run around playing pk lolz police and ganking non-coms in gare just for being there, then you won't get much sympathy from me when you drop all your gold in a conflict you initiated.  You're either all about personal responsibility or you're not.

Make exceptions for others, and they'll probably make exceptions for you.
    *dying.

I devoured Kei once. I devoured Mizik twice. While Kei may have not deserved it, Mizik certainly did.

I was appreciative of Xer giving me back 100k of the amount I dropped. I didn't whine OOC about it, I just asked for it back. I'm kind of tired of hearing this from you - I'm always in-character (unless we have an established "allowed to break IC/OOC barrier" relationship). I'll leave the fact that you are not as a tertiary point. I don't think your example is fair, but let's just agree to disagree here. If I killed someone and they dropped all their gold, even in any enemy faction (yes, even you), I would have returned most (if not all) of the gold.
  • Just give it back. One time, before I got dragon, someone dropped like 200k and I got it. It was the most gold I had ever seen. I kept it.

Felt terrible. Wiped tears with credits I bought with it.

I no longer keep gold if they ask for it back.
  • I occasionally return it if people ask, but by and large I keep it. I've never felt bad.

• I don't use gold.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    If I drop a large amount of gold, it's my own fault that I lost it.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    If I drop a large amount of gold, it's my own fault that I lost it.
    I don't think that anybody is going to disagree with you on that point.  But if you pick up somebody else's gold, particularly if it's a large sum and you know who dropped it, is it good form to give at least some of it back?
  • I've kept large sums of gold that were dropped by jerks.

I've returned 1.5 million gold to someone I've never talked to outside of raids.
    *Animated Signature*

• ElazarElazar NC/Mhaldor
    A time after hitting it really big on blackjack for a few hours, I ran into a raid and somehow didn't have the gold in my pack, ended up dropping like 800k.  Iakimen or some Eleusian gave it back.  It might have been taxed, I cannot remember.  Either way, I remember having my heart sink when I saw it say you dropped your gold.  I thank you.

So it all depends who dropped howmuch gold.  If they ask for it back, chances are I'd give it.  But if you drop gold, I'll at least "hold it"
  • Strata said:
    I believe we need a mechanical system in place that magically returns high amounts of dropped gold to the player who dropped it. Such a system would be perfect for New Achaea where people only pretend to role-play - where all possible scenarios, such as dropping gold, have been bureaucratically beaten into horse-pulp on forums until IRE added more rules, more mechanics, more cattle prods.

That is kind of a silly post. The only reason you have gold or drop gold at all is because there are mechanical systems in place to make those things happen. There's nothing more or less "RP" about dropping gold when you quit or die than there is keeping gold when you quit or die. In fact, there's no RP justification whatsoever for dropping one thing when you die but not other things. It's just a mechanics thing.

It's also not going to change, and I have to say, were I a player, the only time I'd return it is if it was dropped by an ally or if I could extract some kind of concession out of the person that's worth more to me than the gold. I tend towards fairly ruthless characters though.
  • Sarapis said:
    Strata said:

That is kind of a silly post. The only reason you have gold or drop gold at all is because there are mechanical systems in place to make those things happen. There's nothing more or less "RP" about dropping gold when you quit or die than there is keeping gold when you quit or die. In fact, there's no RP justification whatsoever for dropping one thing when you die but not other things. It's just a mechanics thing.

It's also not going to change, and I have to say, were I a player, the only time I'd return it is if it was dropped by an ally or if I could extract some kind of concession out of the person that's worth more to me than the gold. I tend towards fairly ruthless characters though.
    Always knew you favored Mhaldor!

I think gold returning is a lot more of a Meta thing versus an RP thing, because it sucks on massive levels to have something that's worth X amount of real life cash taken from ya.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• Aelios said:
    Sarapis said:
    Strata said:

Always knew you favored Mhaldor!

I think gold returning is a lot more of a Meta thing versus an RP thing, because it sucks on massive levels to have something that's worth X amount of real life cash taken from ya.
    Based on what I see in Achaea, ruthlessness knows no organizational boundaries! And yes, it does suck to lose something but such is life. It's a multiplayer game world after all.
  • Kest dropped like 4M in a duel once, I returned it. Other than that I only return gold if it was dropped by novices.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Sarapis said:
    Strata said:

This was my idiotically satirical response inb4 anyone who might have proposed the idea of a mechanical system for gold return. I have dropped up to ~500k at a time in raids and never got it back. It just doesn't make sense to return gold to other characters who are sworn enemies. "Yeah we just chopped eachothers' heads off BUT here's your gold back!" erm.... no.
  • Man, am I out of touch.  I had no idea people even considered returning the gold of players that aren't in friendly factions. I've grabbed huge chunks off people I've killed for years, never had anyone ask for it back or bring it up.  Then again, I sailed around shaking people down for protection money as a Shallamite, so I'm probably not the best reference point.
  • Strata said:
    Sarapis said:
    Strata said:

This was my idiotically satirical response inb4 anyone who might have proposed the idea of a mechanical system for gold return. I have dropped up to ~500k at a time in raids and never got it back. It just doesn't make sense to return gold to other characters who are sworn enemies. "Yeah we just chopped eachothers' heads off BUT here's your gold back!" erm.... no.
    It also makes no IC sense not to literally raid enemy cities until all their players quit, but we also all know as players that the game should be place where people enjoy themselves. Losing hours of work as punishment for participating in raids and the like is probably not a good incentive to participate.

• That's a bit hyperbolic.  If you made a mistake and left some ridiculous sum of gold in your inventory (protip: don't do that), that's really your mistake and it's totally up to the lucky dude who picks up your gold.

I have more sympathy for people who were selling credits in the middle of a fight and have that gold dropped into their inventory, but there IS an option to have that gold deposited into their city's bank instead, so it's not like that's unpreventable or anything.
  • Speaking of, I had a decent amount of gold on me that I picked up yesterday after a raid on Eastern Reaches and someone asks on CT if anyone had picked up <said-amount-of-gold> and I gave it back to them. To be fair, it was done mainly because that character was Hanley's cousin, a Targossian, as well as not being enemied to Targossas (who knew!) that said however, depending on the person (like if it was @Jhui) who can just go bash it up in about 5 minutes or buy more credits and sell them on market... I might be tempted then to keep it, but I would probably return it in a letter with a nice message saying something about keeping a better eye on their gold.

- 2014/05/13 03:37:22 - Jhui dies gasping for breath, asphyxiated by the power of Hanley Silverstorm's kai.

SerpentKai Go!

• Ahh...the age old reverse thief.
  • My backpack decayed one day and I didn't notice and I lost a lot of stuff when I logged on, immediately joined a raid and died. Gyrth sent me a new backpack though so that made it all better, even though it was just good game all around. But I did get my journals back. Phew.

• I'd say I probably only return gold if I feel sorry for the person.  If I drop it I don't expect it back and neither should anyone else.  It's usually in a raid situation or against someone I consider an IG enemy. 

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited October 2014
    This happened more in Shallam but I occasionally picked up gold from older players who probably came back from being dormant and dying to city defenses whether through auto-walker mistake or a wayward track.  Since they are enemied to the city, I normally check to see if they have active fines and pay them off and return the difference.  There is some conversation but I primarily tried to use this as a conversion opportunity.

I'd also return gold to most people, save infamous thieves, griefers or people using gold at that specific moment to defile/sanctify as I treat larger amounts of gold as RL money and would feel like I stole money from them IRL as a result.
  • LumLum Netherlands
    I don't know, I think I only see an OOC justification to return the gold of allies. That is, I don't personally see any in-character reason to go, "We're feuding to the point where we slaughter each other, but here's your cash back."

But on the other hand, I do see a very clear out of character justification. Maybe he spent real money to get it, maybe he bashed for hours, et cetera. 

So I suppose it depends on whether or not the gold's previous owner is also being a dick OOC (tells, messages, whatever) before I'd give gold back, even though it's technically breaking character for me. 
  • Wish sammie, I try to remain in character while still looking for a way to return the gold. Yes, we're all at war and killing one nother. But this is a game and I don't want to keep 500+k gold someone dropped while defending their cities or friends personally. 
  • I returned 600k less 10k because I am nice. I took the 10k because that is my bank transfer fee for using Seftincorporated Bank Transfer System.