Forum Colours

Comments

• I actually really like the white. For some reason the dark background with the white text (like the old forums had) made me eyes go funny after a while. I'm surprised no one else had this problem.
  • edited August 2012
    This white is quite sharp on the eyes, so yes definitely dark theme for the win.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    @Veldrin I think you need to open some more tabs.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I don't usually open many tabs, but when I do my computer explodes a little.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Sarapis Did you want all the css? Or just the front page? Like I said earlier, I just did the single page mockup (since that's relatively quick) and ditched it. I certainly don't mind going through all of it, but I don't love css-land enough to do it multiple times xP. Rolling with off-white, popular opinion, or more color experiments?
  • We'll roll with off-white!

Forum fail! Will message the css to interested parties. :(
  • Yep, thanks. Jeremy is the guy to send it to.
  • Jeremy == Jumpy? I sent it to Jumpy.

Also, if anyone wants it in black, message me, it was just a couple of color switches from off white soooo yeah. Options :)
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    @Yrael can drop it in at pastebin.com and it gives you a shortlink.

• Off white: http://pastebin.com/3qgkNi4t

Black(ish, may still be buggy, didn't check as rigorously): http://pastebin.com/5jPps4zi
  • Sorry, been out of town. I am going to try the off white first and see how much people flip the heck out.
  • Okay, people let me know about this off white one and what you think. I like it much better then super white myself.
  • I dig this one far more than the previous one, for sure.
  • It is better but the contrast with all the orange on white is just ick.
  • I think @Yrael worked up a dark one as well. I will let this sit for a couple of days, or wait for @Sarapis to get back from a little trip he is on before I go all crazy on it.
  • D: several things seem to have been lost in translation into the forums, looks like more CSS needs to be overwritten for it to get to what I was looking at. Did not have massive dots in the lines separating replies at least... and it didn't get rid of enough of the bolded fonts :<

@Kinilan -- Not dark enough on the orange, or just don't like orange? I picked a relatively dark one but my monitor's pretty bright so I donno if that's enough.
  • edited August 2012
    This colour scheme seems similar but with pastel tones making certain details pop out less, like the "7 new" new post count boxes beside thread listings which are now in a cinnamon colour rather than the previous orange-red (IIRC), which is not bad exactly but I don't particularly prefer it to the previous iteration. Post text is now dark grey on light grey/blue instead of black on white which is a few degrees harder to read, and I dislike that. Individual posts within threads are now less well delineated which is a bad thing, but apparently the lines of dots between posts are in error, so I'll wait for that to be fixed before commenting on in.
  • It looks like they use the !important bit a little too much in the css. Let me know where there are problems and I will sort it out. I removed the large dots at least.
  • I wish multiple themes were supported, since I really prefer a crisp white one, but apparently others prefer the more mellow off-white style.
  • The tiny text is what gets me. Obviously  I can adjust that on my end. But damn it I should have to do things! Do things is for other people. Maybe a better default font? Might I suggest Comic Sans?

But no. Seriously the font disagrees with my eyes. Both of them
  • The color of the text makes my eyes hurt.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • It's still showing up as a white background for me. :(
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • yeah still got white here and I dislike it, I never got any lights on in my house and sitting in the dark and having this white forum is a pain for the eyes. Black is much better
  • edited August 2012
    So I'm immediately used to msot of the changes, and the dots-between-posts thing is fixed. But I still dislike that posts have a grey font on an off-white background. There isn't enough contrast and it feels like a strain to read. I'd prefer darker or just black text.

Testing black.

Dark grey...

Less dark grey...

Halfway to white...

Closer still...

Almost there...

And this is white.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Can I ask for divider lines between comments please?
  • Oceana said:
    Can I ask for divider lines between comments please?
    I just realised the lines I was seeing are actually between comments and signatures. Some sort of segmentation or delineation between each comment, as used to appear, would be good, agreed.
  • Uh yeah, the lines are supposed to be there and visible, just not huge and black, haha. I'll take a look at it and other stuffs tomorrow.
  • edited August 2012
    In my line of work (HMI systems for controlling stuff like oil platforms) the standard is to use a grey background, with a dark grey text. Quite relaxing for the eyes, and important buttons like "post comment", "WTF", "LOL", "LIKE",.. pops out very nicely.

• I agree on the black test and something to separate comments. I will look at that later today.