Original RP vs RP from books and movies

2»

Comments

• Sobriquet said:
    Reciting OOC song lyrics, poems, movie lines etc verbatim is terrible imho. however, taking them as a structure and modifying it to be more Achaean can work very well in some instances.
    Agreed, but I definitely think it should be more modified than what I used to spout. Let me see if I can find it here...

"We give thanks to the Lords, for They are Strength."
    "Before Them, the swift cannot flee, nor the strong stand."
    "Let my blades devour, until their thirst is quenched in blood, and my enemies sleep forever."

• Ulrike said:
    Trey said:
    To be more constructive, I think inspiration is fine, but when you start ripping things verbatim from RL stuff it gets obnoxious. I did it once with part of Amsterdam's prayer from Gangs of New York, but even though nobody recognized it and I'd altered it slightly, I still stopped after a while because it felt cheap. It'd be like taking the distinctive last name of your favorite video game character, or using a wedding to get your 'allies' into place to slaughter them, or walking around in a brown pinstriped suit as a quirky guy with a hand-sized elemental staff.
    One of the old PKers (Geraint?) used to macro the Boondock Saints prayer after killing someone. That was so lame.
    RIP @GERAINT. MOST EPIC GANK BUDDY EVER.
  • Can you guess which Shakespeare character I based Santar off of?

• Meh.  Who cares about taking George R.R. Martin's ideas.  He took them from historical events and just added dragons.  Which is the problem with everything, it's all been done before in one way or another.  There are no original ideas.  Just stories that haven't been told in awhile or trying to give a new twist.
  • Prythe is Don Quixote. 

Seriously, it is obvious now that you know, eh?

Ever send her a message? Check out the return message.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Lucine said:
    Meh.  Who cares about taking George R.R. Martin's ideas.  He took them from historical events and just added dragons.  Which is the problem with everything, it's all been done before in one way or another.  There are no original ideas.  Just stories that haven't been told in awhile or trying to give a new twist.

Oh, and speaking of which - Roddenberry's original pitch for "Star Trek" was "Wagon Train in Space."

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    Glaringly obvious rips from other things tend to put me on the other side of mildly irked.

if it's setting that is repeated over and over and over by other people trying to make it part of the "thing to do", also irritates the hell out of me. 

Just a a personal pet peeve and o try not to let it affect Kerria, though admittedly one does:
    Someone says, "One of us, one of us."
    Someone repeats, "One of us, one of us!"

Take that right the f out of here.

• To be totally honest, Taraus was the funnest Mark I've ever had chasing me. Didn't get me, I don't think, but the banter was 100% worth leaving Targ for however many hours it took the contract to expire.
  • Ayleth said:
    Take the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones, for example. (I finally was able to watch that episode last night after moving past my Shawn Bean addiction [I refused to watch the series after that certain part. Same with LotR until I remembered that he is still alive and happy outside of the movies/series]. The feels, man, THE FEELS.) At first, I thought it would be an interesting concept to incorporate into a wedding idea in Achaea (avoiding bloodshed in some cases is unavoidable, especially if a God demands that blood be spilt [I'm lookin' at you @Sartan, you Suffering devil, you.]) and in this case, it'd be between the Kindfires and the Van Helsings (then @Draqoom ruined it with his ally status post. Jerk.) Then.. I realised I don't want to take George R. R. Martin's idea because, well, its silly to do that. With a little creativity and originality, I could do so much more than that. 
    Sartan said:
    @Ayleth‌  Now now. Who said I require bloodshed at weddings? 

*Nonchalantly points an imperious finger at @Melodie*
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Bluef said:
    Ayleth said:
    Take the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones, for example. (I finally was able to watch that episode last night after moving past my Shawn Bean addiction [I refused to watch the series after that certain part. Same with LotR until I remembered that he is still alive and happy outside of the movies/series]. The feels, man, THE FEELS.) At first, I thought it would be an interesting concept to incorporate into a wedding idea in Achaea (avoiding bloodshed in some cases is unavoidable, especially if a God demands that blood be spilt [I'm lookin' at you @Sartan, you Suffering devil, you.]) and in this case, it'd be between the Kindfires and the Van Helsings (then @Draqoom ruined it with his ally status post. Jerk.) Then.. I realised I don't want to take George R. R. Martin's idea because, well, its silly to do that. With a little creativity and originality, I could do so much more than that. 
    Sartan said:
    @Ayleth‌  Now now. Who said I require bloodshed at weddings? 

*Nonchalantly points an imperious finger at @Melodie*
    Lets just say when I saw this thread go up, I'm pretty sure I had to hit a pillow for a little while and then I never posted in here, very much on purpose, since the thread was started about 2-3 days before my wedding!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Lets just say when I saw this thread go up, I'm pretty sure I had to hit a pillow for a little while and then I never posted in here, very much on purpose, since the thread was started about 2-3 days before my wedding!
    Suuuure you weren't. Remember, I've got my Lumin-EYE on you.

• For @Melodie's defense, the rejoincing events around her wedding has been planned more than 2 IRL months ago.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited September 2014
    As someone who was once lusted away by @Flair at the altar, I'm not bagging on @Melodie's choice of making her wedding more than just the standard scene, but let's be honest here: The concept itself isn't original. Even before Game of Thrones' Red Wedding, which first broadcast 3 months ago, there were other people who have done similar things in Achaea, but @Melodie put her own twist on the idea and thus it was successful. I think that's what we've been talking about the last couple of pages anyway. Using ideas from other sources as springboards from which we launch into some unique RP. 
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Apollyon leaned a bit on Arthur Schopenhauer but it never felt studied or lazy. I was disappointed today when I realized that a text called "Discourses on Evil" was actually a c/p of the Satanic Mass by Anton LaVey. It is a step above singing Ke$ha lyrics over your city channel, but only. 
  • That sounds like some good RP to me.  Just ask @Talysin‌.
  • First things first, I'm the realest.