Artefact Pets and their value

Recently while considering what to do about my yet-again slain mount, I came across the Artefact Pet idea. Tossing the idea around a little, I'm on the fence with it. It'd be nice to have an invincible mount, but that seems like a very large amount of credits to spend on such a thing.

In a nutshell, it seems like if you're going to get one, to go big or go home.

That being said, I am quite curious of each of the Owners of an Artefact Pet:

What was your appeal to it?
What made you decide to drop 1250 credits on it?
Would you buy it again if given the chance?
Which add-on's are worth it, in your opinion?
And last but not least, suggested nifty ideas for reactions?

Thanks for your input, and discussion is (as always) encouraged!

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Whoops. Seems I wrote that post in haste and forgot my colon P emoticon. 

Take it easy, little guy. 

That reminds me though, I remember going around illusioning crows at people for a while too. I'm not sure if anyone ever figured out it was me or not.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited September 2014
    I have a non-mountable pet panda with the amnesia attack add-on. Being non-mountable, and with amnesia being what it is, he's about as useful as a wrestling background in a boxing match. I'd trade him in in a heartbeat, but alas, no pet trade-ins. Since everyone calls him "cute" and tries to pet him, I'd like to give him a "bitchslap <player>" reaction to pettings. That might make owning him somewhat justifiable.

Basically the only reasons to buy a pet are 1: RP and 2: Invincible mount 3: Amnesia if you fight in retard a lot. Although honestly the amnesia attacks made no absolutely no difference in people's ability to cure aeonlocks when I was Jester. Someone is probably gonna say I'm wrong but the amnesia attack is a joke to most people.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I spent a hefty 1250 credits on mine even though I already have a collared mount (which I barely even use, gg monk.) Even bought credits to make up for the amount of credits I didn't have on-hand just for it.

I got my crocodile for the RP. He fits very well into my roleplay and I sacrificed the flying add-on for two additional reactions. He came to me silently and I played it off as taming a crocodile from Qurnok which tried to bite me because of the way my perfume didn't sit right with him as I was passing by. Since getting him, I've been having a blast dropping him around certain people, who feed him buffalo and use him as sort of a messenger or carrier to me. Also, the crocodile can enter places I can't, to "harass" through emotes in my stead. >.>

Also, having a reporting pet is very useful in certain situations.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• People keep copying my Crocodile :(

I just got a basic pet, no flying, no mounting (Have a collared hippogriff) and no reactions. He plays the silent killer reptile very well. Had him for about 6 RL years now and every time I feel like adding a reaction I decide against it as it just doesn't seem right.

I also leave him in the pit in Bella's to cause count*

The RP behind it was the Baron of Dun Fortress (R.I.P) gave it to me as a peace offering to stop me hunting there when I was going for Dragon. Sobby hasn't hunted there since, save for once just after the Baron was murdered but has since made his peace with them again. 

*Just kidding

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."

• I have an artie pet with basically all of the perks.  It's insanely useful, even for classes that don't typically fight mounted.
  • Obaku is one of the best things I ever got in the realms, and it just adds an extra dynamic to Rinz.  The RP introduction was pretty much top 3 memories of my time in the realms and he is just fun to have bop around and be adorable.

Luckily I got him when it was cheaper and so where reactions, but, a couple recommendations for reactions.

tells me when someone is in the room
    i can tell him to follow someone
    my allies can call him
    he tells me when someone hands him something.

The rest is all just fun, basic reactions to things and all that.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Sobriquet said:
    People keep copying my Crocodile :(
    To be fair, I wanted a shark in the first place, but I don't think sharks have legs that allow them to walk on land. So I needed a "land shark". Crocodile was the animal that naturally came to me. :D
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I think I was one of the first to spot Obaku, not knowing it was a mini-event for @Rinzai's pet, and I remember him nipping at Jhaeli's fingers when she tried to grab him out of the snow. I ended up nicknaming him "Little Nipper" and I've had a soft spot for that little fox ever since. Easily one of my favourite Achaean memories.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• I got Sindori as a RL birthday present from my husband, he did the design work, I chose the name. I didn't know about event things, so I didn't do anything remarkable for her, but I don't regret getting her at all. Having her around helps when it comes to being in a big group because of my anxiety.

She's... basic with flight, sentience, (I got racial emotes but that's because I had her before the changes... I miss letting her pretend to be a dragon) and I just got reporting with her, which... with a little coding I've turned her into Navi.

So, for me, she was well worth the cost I've spent on her.
    meh

• Trilliana said:
    I got Sindori as a RL birthday present from my husband, he did the design work, I chose the name. I didn't know about event things, so I didn't do anything remarkable for her, but I don't regret getting her at all. Having her around helps when it comes to being in a big group because of my anxiety.

She's... basic with flight, sentience, (I got racial emotes but that's because I had her before the changes... I miss letting her pretend to be a dragon) and I just got reporting with her, which... with a little coding I've turned her into Navi.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• Jhaeli said:
    Trilliana said:
    I got Sindori as a RL birthday present from my husband, he did the design work, I chose the name. I didn't know about event things, so I didn't do anything remarkable for her, but I don't regret getting her at all. Having her around helps when it comes to being in a big group because of my anxiety.

exactly

Aristal arrives from the south.
    [NAVI: Aristal has arrived at my location!]
    H:4256(100%|), M:5288(100%|), 100%w, 100%e 92 (13.0%) 363 ex|cdbk  (09:41:29)~ none  ~ no line out ~
    Aristal leaves to the west.
    [NAVI: Aristal has departed from my location!]

meh

• I got Bonsai way back in the day, so these prices you're all listing sound insane. I thought 800 or 900 credits back then was crazy. But I saved up for him. I was mimicking the pets I saw around then, so he appeared as Bonsai, a playful monkey and had crazy reactions whenever a citymate entered the room. I quickly regretted that but the Garden was pretty cool about tweaking those down. I think I turned off most of those after time, dropped Bonsai from his description, and toned him down a bit. At some point I'll probably tweak him some more and add reporting because that sounds fun, but for now, the credits aren't there to do so.

There were definitely more useful things that I could have bought but overall, can't regret him. Also, he can fly without wings which was definitely useful when Eph was Atavian and always dropping every other thing he had following him from the skies. 
  • edited September 2014
    Ainia said:
    Datrius said:
    I've been wanting to get an artefact pet of my dog that I had put down about a month and a half ago. Silly, I know but it's a way to remember him and keep him around. Haven't done it yet cause bills have been kicking my ass, but eventually I'll have the extra cash/credits.
    I'm so sorry about your dog :( I was thinking of making my next pet after one of mine, so I get it. I think it is very sweet.
    This thread helped me make my decision. I've already traded in my Lupine, my Shield, and my Gem and am going forward with this project.

Of course, I've got to find someone who can design something wonderful, since my attempts come out to crap. Heh.
  • MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    @Ainia I'm at just over 65 pets/mounts/loyals, and 7 crated ones being held by others, elsewhere. I don't even want to begin to add up their value, because I would probably cry. There are 1400+ credits in Peabody alone.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited September 2014
    Madelyne said:
    @Ainia I'm at just over 65 pets/mounts/loyals, and 7 crated ones being held by others, elsewhere. I don't even want to begin to add up their value, because I would probably cry. There are 1400+ credits in Peabody alone.

D:

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited November 2014
    Ukko is a basic pet with the sentience and the no automatic reactions addon, but gods do I love it. I honestly think I would not have as much fun as I have with him with any other artie whatsoever. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    I think I go overboard with what my eagle says and does sometimes, but, still, it's fun to mess with people through him
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Shirszae said:
    Ukko is a basic pet with the sentience and the no automatic reactions addon, but gods do I love it. I honestly think I would not have as much fun as I have with him with any other artie whatsoever. 
    His name is Ukko? Fun.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Trey said:
    Shirszae said:
    His name is Ukko? Fun.
    Ukko is. AWESOME.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I understand not being able to trade in pets and I understand not being able to change the type of artifact (can't change a Torc of Telepathy into a Helmet of Telepathy), but for gods sake, why can't you change the type of pet?

I've tried to change my jaguar into something else and was just straight up told they could charge me 100cr to change the description of the jaguar but that no amount of credits would change the jaguar into a monkey or something else. They said the best they could do was delete the jaguar and charge me the full amount for another pet...

With how often people change class there should be some kind of way to change the type of animal your pet is. I can easily see a knight wanting to change his pet horse for a monkey when he goes Magi or a follower of Vastar changing their bird to a whatever when they join a different order or turn a fun/silly pet like a kangaroo/kitten/panda cub into a more serious pet like a great dane/eagle/snake when their RP changes because they've swapped cities or have gotten into a more serious role or class. 

Charging 100cr to swap your 1250cr fluff ball into a more appropriate pet that you'll actually use for your developed RP shouldn't be impossible.

• RE: OP

From a combat perspective, currently, an artefact pet is the only pet worth having.  Non-artefact pets are almost completely useless, even with collar.  I discussed the reasons for this in my pet concept thread.

The fact that server curing completely ignores totally visible, unmasked amnesia, just makes this even more the case (has been slated for "fixing" for several weeks/months now).

For roleplay reasons, it's also the only pet worth having, since you can't customize non-artefact pets in any way (aside from class loyals).  Exception to this is if you're lucky enough that one of the in-game mounts fits your character well, as is.

I'd very much like to see this change, but until then, it's artie pet or no pet, for me.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I was under the impression that you could customize mini-pets in description. Or is that wrong?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.