Achaean Regrets

Comments

• Achimrst said:
    Sarapis said:
    Ulrike said:
    Sarapis said:

* Everything about Lorielan. Duplicitous bitch.
    Oooh, was there OOC drama involving her? Somebody hook me up with juicy details.
    No. Proteus, who was my lesser part when I was both Ayar and Proteus, was betrayed by her during the Chaos Wars. 
    She left him for a chiseled, rock hard God with a heart of stone. ;)
    And one with a flowing mane and a large horn. 
  • Atalkez said:
    Posting anything on these elections. Now we have two going on at the same time. Gah I just want my nstat to stay white damn it.
    Trigger pattern: "Password correct. Welcome to Achaea."
    Code: send("nstat catchup")
  • Eld said:
    Achimrst said:
    Sarapis said:
    Ulrike said:
    Sarapis said:

* Everything about Lorielan. Duplicitous bitch.
    Oooh, was there OOC drama involving her? Somebody hook me up with juicy details.
    No. Proteus, who was my lesser part when I was both Ayar and Proteus, was betrayed by her during the Chaos Wars. 
    She left him for a chiseled, rock hard God with a heart of stone. ;)
    And one with a flowing mane and a large horn. 
    Ooooh so she left him for a Unicorn. Got it. ;)

• And a statue, yes.
  • I regret finding Achaea when I did.

It's really disappointing that I acted the way I did when I was 15 playing this game, and it feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy, and has for awhile now.

People have a certain perception of me, and despite my efforts to RP more, be less griefy, etc., I'm met with a lot of pre-judging, that manifests itself both in OOC and IC fashions, leading to a lot of frustration, and sometimes rage on my part.

If I hadn't invested so much into the character credits-wise, I would absolutely -love- to start again.

Wasn't gonna write this post, but I was doing some googling today and saw a bunch of threads from the old forums with me being a typical 15 year old dickhead "gamer" and treating achaea like my own personal playground.

The really depressing bit was finding this, written about me oocly some 8 years later:

http://pastebin.com/9zZK0TFB

-----
    1. Given Achaea's admin's lack of reaction to Mhaldor's complaints, there will be another set of mass exodus from the city.
    3. Tvistor will leave for the refugees.
    4. Ruth will leave for the refugees.
    5. Jurixe will go to Ashtan.
    6. Antidas will leave.
    7. Aepas is already dormant.
    8. Sherazad might go dormant.
    9. Azor, Nizaris and Xer will stay.
    10. Rakon will be active and go to the refugees.
    12. The prominent clique will compose of Xenomorph's friends.
    13. Notable stupids will stay such as: Halios, Zephyros, Cain, Tiamat, Daitya.
    15. Have fun, Mhaldor!
    16. Adios!
    ----

So yea, when people tell me now that it's all in my head when I say I feel like there are OOC cliques that specifically dislike me in Mhaldor, and continue to this day to do so, despite my efforts, I'm not gonna be so easily convinced.

Notable stupids, indeed.
  • At least you're the last (mentioned) notable stupid left.
  • Kafziel said:
    At least you're the last (mentioned) notable stupid left.
    Sigh. Thanks for reminding me.
  • I know that feel. 
  • Talysin said:
    I know that feel. 
    My blowup at you was my frustrations with the other parts of the game bubbling over. Wasn't about you, and I think you kn(e)ow that.

• Talysin said:

feckless nimrod
    lol I had to google this.

That was some hilarious bleak reading.
  • I regret letting friends know that I played Xith, as their subsequent involvement led to the character changing. Silver lining: probably a change for the best.

But we've all done the whole "ok I swear this alt will be a secret and I won't tell nobody" (5 minutes later) "Hey bro can you sew some pants for my new character?"
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • @Halios just a side note, I was in the same position you were in with regards to old player habits being held against me. Anyone who remembers my first character would be the first to say that I rarely gave a rats ass about roleplaying, and was just another Hashani lolsnuggler for most of the time I spent playing him. Eventually I did something stupid and got him temporarily shrubbed, at which point I made Antidas. I'll be the first to admit that I still have some issues to work out, but I think its safe to say that most people take Antidas far more seriously and have at least a bit more respect for him than my previous main ever did.

I know it shouldn't be necessary to start over entirely to get people to stop holding old habits against you, but unfortunately, thats what the vast majority (myself included, on occasion) of the player base will do. If its a serious issue for you, you might consider doing the same, and earning a new reputation for yourself before anyone knows its you.

As for the pastebin, I remember when that went up a couple weeks before Tvistor and I left, but I unfortunately cannot remember who it was that wrote it. Either way, sorry that you saw it and that it was written at all.

• Halios said:
    I regret finding Achaea when I did.

It's really disappointing that I acted the way I did when I was 15 playing this game, and it feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy, and has for awhile now.

People have a certain perception of me, and despite my efforts to RP more, be less griefy, etc., I'm met with a lot of pre-judging, that manifests itself both in OOC and IC fashions, leading to a lot of frustration, and sometimes rage on my part.

If I hadn't invested so much into the character credits-wise, I would absolutely -love- to start again.

Wasn't gonna write this post, but I was doing some googling today and saw a bunch of threads from the old forums with me being a typical 15 year old dickhead "gamer" and treating achaea like my own personal playground.

The really depressing bit was finding this, written about me oocly some 8 years later:

http://pastebin.com/9zZK0TFB

-----
    1. Given Achaea's admin's lack of reaction to Mhaldor's complaints, there will be another set of mass exodus from the city.
    3. Tvistor will leave for the refugees.
    4. Ruth will leave for the refugees.
    5. Jurixe will go to Ashtan.
    6. Antidas will leave.
    7. Aepas is already dormant.
    8. Sherazad might go dormant.
    9. Azor, Nizaris and Xer will stay.
    10. Rakon will be active and go to the refugees.
    12. The prominent clique will compose of Xenomorph's friends.
    13. Notable stupids will stay such as: Halios, Zephyros, Cain, Tiamat, Daitya.
    15. Have fun, Mhaldor!
    16. Adios!
    ----

So yea, when people tell me now that it's all in my head when I say I feel like there are OOC cliques that specifically dislike me in Mhaldor, and continue to this day to do so, despite my efforts, I'm not gonna be so easily convinced.

Notable stupids, indeed.
    Mhaldor was in a bad place for a long time. Something around three to four years. It was very difficult to deal with, and I did indeed go dormant. A lot of it was because of the caustic attitude that many people had. So many people were blatantly negative it was just difficult to deal with. Even in the ooc chats it was so painful to deal with that I just had to take a break. I went dormant for about six months, and returned with a new vigor.

On the plus side, note that everyone in that log was someone of worth. I'm a bit flattered to be on that list, as I didn't think anyone would notice me being gone. I to an extent am still gone, but more due to ooc commitments, but still try to stick around when I can.

This was also around the time of a huge power swing, and with anything the shiny new toys looked interesting (refugees). If you do look at that list however, you'll note most people stuck through the hard times and continue to work very hard for Mhaldor and I believe some people like Jurixe, Ruth, Sherazad, and Xer have a huge amount to do with Mhaldor's overall success at this current age. We were without a doubt the weakest city for a long time, but those who stuck with it, Kudos!
    Sorry you were on the stupids list. I've had a few interactions with Halios and I have truly enjoyed them all, I never found you to be overly ragey like cain or tiamat had been at times, and had time to interact with all of these so called "stupids"

The admin are not to be blamed for this either though. To an extent, the Keresis event is what spurred a lot of this on, though it should be noted that this was not her fault. The admin were actively TRYING to make it a better place, in response to many of the players complaints. Keresis was an active god with a rich history and lore to Mhaldor, but it was a big aggressive in how she came to power. Still, that is nobody's fault but the players and their response. To whoever made this list, I can see where you were going but it was rather unfounded , especially calling out some people as "stupid". Even people like Cain, who is well known for some rather strange things, has a notable piece of lore within our achaean lives, and to an extent that does deserve to be respected.

Halios, don't mind that list. I think you're doing fine.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Saeva said:
    I will offer this food for thought:

People in text games (not just Achaea) historically have this nasty pattern for playing for several months, going on rage/psychotic benders, quitting for a few months after being total dickheads to their friends... come back a few months/years later and say how they have changed and then several months down the road they fall back into the patterns of  the super psycho or rage hooligan and they quit... rinse and repeat. I know some people who have been living this same pattern for over a decade. Every time they expect people to forgive their fucked up behaviour, even though they have proven over and over that they never actually change. It's not uncommon in the text community unfortunately.
    So! With that said... considering that it's a real exhausting and ridiculous problem to deal with, for a number of people who stick around text games long enough, you just have to work harder to prove yourself to people, I think. Because absolutely people grow up and can change.. it's just that a lot of people will never believe it till it stands the test of time.
    Glad I'm being categorized as a psychotic.
  • Melodie said:
    Pretty sure she was referring to others that were not you!
    Not sure how else I'm supposed to read the statement "Considering it's a real exhausting and ridiculous problem to deal with, for a number of people who stick around text games long enough, you just have to work harder to prove yourself to people, I think.

Because absolutely people can grow up and change.. it's just that a lot of people will never believe it till it stands the test of time."

Either I'm one of those people, and her statement pertains to me, or I'm not, and it doesn't.
  • Halios said:
    Saeva said:

People in text games (not just Achaea) historically have this nasty pattern for playing for several months, going on rage/psychotic benders, quitting for a few months after being total dickheads to their friends... come back a few months/years later and say how they have changed and then several months down the road they fall back into the patterns of  the super psycho or rage hooligan and they quit... rinse and repeat. I know some people who have been living this same pattern for over a decade. Every time they expect people to forgive their fucked up behaviour, even though they have proven over and over that they never actually change. It's not uncommon in the text community unfortunately.
    So! With that said... considering that it's a real exhausting and ridiculous problem to deal with, for a number of people who stick around text games long enough, you just have to work harder to prove yourself to people, I think. Because absolutely people grow up and can change.. it's just that a lot of people will never believe it till it stands the test of time.
    Yeah, what Melodie said. I'm saying why people are likely hesitant to just give out clean slates. I have no idea about your past. I've only been playing Achaea for a year, so.

• Saeva said:
    Halios said:
    Saeva said:

Yeah, what Melodie said. I'm saying why people are likely hesitant to just give out clean slates. I have no idea about your past. I've only been playing Achaea for a year, so.
    It's just a familiar insinuation that the person who finally explodes or gets angry or rage quits the game is the one with the problem, or somehow engaging in unprovoked and one-sided behavior.

Self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Halios said:
    Melodie said:
    Pretty sure she was referring to others that were not you!
    Not sure how else I'm supposed to read the statement "Considering it's a real exhausting and ridiculous problem to deal with, for a number of people who stick around text games long enough, you just have to work harder to prove yourself to people, I think.

Because absolutely people can grow up and change.. it's just that a lot of people will never believe it till it stands the test of time."

Either I'm one of those people, and her statement pertains to me, or I'm not, and it doesn't.
    And I'm saying that people tend to stop giving other people a second, third, fourth, fifth etc etc chance, because of pattern repeaters. You are one or you aren't one. I'm not calling you one. I have no clue if you are one or not. I'm just saying that the sect of the community that IS the psycho/rage quitters/returners is very possibly the reason it's hard to get a second chance. I'm not saying you did or didn't do anything. I'm offering a reason to you as to -why- it might be hard to get a second chance without you having to go the extra mile to be the bigger man.