Shared XP and Assists

I think it's about time for assists to spice up the PvP world and not make it not so raid-class dominant.

Pretty simple idea:

Add a flag to all relevant offensive attacks that would determine if it counts as an assist or not.

Each time this offensive attack is used, the attacker will get credited with an assist if the target dies within X (5 or so) seconds of the attack.

For example:

Jhui hangedmans Dunn.

'Jhui' is added to Dunn's character as having attacked him.  'Jhui' will be automatically removed after 5 seconds.  'Jhui' can be re-added in that 5 seconds and it will essentially refresh the timer.

Jarrod now webs Dunn.  'Jarrod' is now added to Dunn's character as having attacked him.

Dunn dies to Nemutaur within 5 seconds.  The XP is split between Nemutaur, Jarrod, and Jhui at some ratio.  Nemutaur gets credited with a kill and Jhui and Jarrod get assists.

Seems simple enough to expand on.  Room attacks might become more prevalent, which could be cool, meaning more melee.

Everyone likes going after stats and being rewarded.  Now you can still suck and get some of these rewards!

Comments

• Yes,  yes,  yes.  That's about all I have to say
  • I perfectly agree.
    As a sniper, per example, I either get all of the XP from a kill (that the other players worked hard to kill too), or none at all (even though I have been a heavy contributor to the kill.)
    In close range, a serpent will normally rely on dtsabs to help the party deal the damage. In essence, the serpent is entirely cut off from the experience on the grounds that his dstab will never kill the target (barring voyria).

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    I think Jhui just won the forums
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• If your primary/secondary class attack for pvp is used the flag should still generate. Regardless of actual damage dealt. This prevents more aff centric classes from getting nothing for their help. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    If your primary/secondary class attack for pvp is used the flag should still generate. Regardless of actual damage dealt. This prevents more aff centric classes from getting nothing for their help. 
    I'm pretty sure that was implied when he used web tattoo and hangedman as examples.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • Yes please. This is an amazing idea. Only thing I would change is to make the timer 10s or so
  • Wouldn't this just encourage more teaming outside of raid situations?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Wouldn't this just encourage more teaming outside of raid situations?
    No. It will do that, but it will also encourage people to do more teaming in raid situations as well, and it will also encourage people to be more strategic about combat and to maybe play classes with less last-hit capability.
  • hrm. If someone hits a totem and they die within the timer, does the owner of the totem get the experience?

• if its designated to their enemies, or if it's propped, I would imagine, yes.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Sobriquet said:

What @Nim said...

My 2c: 1v1 is dead, so it doesn't matter. Oh and here's a text game for ya: ssh narnia0@narnia.labs.overthewire.org (see the website for details).
  • Please.  Do this.  Nao.
  • Best part about this is Jhui nerfing his own "numb and run to ashtan so you don't get killing blow" technique.

What a guy.
  • Strata said:
    Oh and here's a text game for ya: ssh narnia0@narnia.labs.overthewire.org (see the website for details).
    why do you do this to me
  • Sobriquet said:

I would guess that most people who participate in 1v1 (or 2v1, 3v1 ... Nv1) outside of raid situations aren't too concerned with the xp from it. And if the xp were shared in a sensible way, this wouldn't provide much incentive for teaming unless you couldn't take the person on your own, in which case you were probably going to team him anyway, because fuck that guy, he needs to be taken down a peg.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Eld said:
    Sobriquet said:

I would guess that most people who participate in 1v1 (or 2v1, 3v1 ... Nv1) outside of raid situations aren't too concerned with the xp from it. And if the xp were shared in a sensible way, this wouldn't provide much incentive for teaming unless you couldn't take the person on your own, in which case you were probably going to team him anyway, because fuck that guy, he needs to be taken down a peg.
    We're still concerned from the exp with it unless we're dragon because more than likely we hate bashing.

In other words experience for last hit classes will diminish a little and everyone will gain a tiny bit of experience, our priests will stop complaining about losing exp when dying because they don't ever attack anyone ever unless for some reason we're going for sap and why would you go for sap when you could be healing me while im sniping so I don't die and get the exp instead I mean honestly.

On the other hand at level 84 someone like Jhui is worth 4% (if that) for a true death. Killing people isn't a sensible way to level up unless your just really hate bashing and your really good at not dying.

• And every class in the game that survived the great area-wide attack purge of 2010-2012 rejoiced!  (this idea still leaves monks with the ability to get credits for kills without being remotely near a fight - on the flip side, it'd do the same for a few other classes (just imagine if priest blind/deaf healing counted).

Glad you drudged this idea back up for the 18th time.  Maybe this'll be the one that gets it implemented.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    BRB, off to get some more atlatls

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Man, it is almost like people think it could be possible that a new group of players with a new set of admin with evolving priorities and different circumstances might implement something that has been declined in the past. #demhouseservantsdoe #justremovepvpxplossandgaincompletely

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Khairt said:
    Man, it is almost like people think it could be possible that a new group of players with a new set of admin with evolving priorities and different circumstances might implement something that has been declined in the past. #demhouseservantsdoe #justremovepvpxplossandgaincompletely
    omg u rite! #issueforeverything #issue2win2014
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    Love the idea.

By the way @Khairt‌, that's some serious hashtaggin!

• uh forgot the obligatory @Tecton‌  @Sarapis‌  @Makarios‌  tags
  • Sounds good. If possible, maybe make it so everyone in the same party as the killer, who also hit the target, gets a share of the xp. I don't like the personal allies limitation because of the ways different people use their ally lists. One poor person who doesn't make it on the ally lists of the killers doesn't get any xp even though they help kill all the targets, doesn't seem right to me. Could do same city, or could do party.
  • Yeah, allies lists should be irrelevant.  If you've delivered damage or an affliction in the last five seconds, that should be enough.
  • @Bukariin : What they want is to prevent griefers from running into the room, hitting the loser before he dies, and running away with the XP. They're looking to make sure the XP split is allowed between all parties, hence why they suggested the ally list. I still think it's far more logical for it to be same org/party (thus non-org members can benefit IF they're in the party).