What do you think about OOC utilities?

2»

Comments

• Jurixe said:
    Halios said:
    Datrius said:
    There are IC combat parties? What? Aren't all combat parties a mixture of hilarious ooc shit about combat, ripping on each other, and telling dirty jokes? @Jhui You've lied to me this whole time?

lol.
    You have no idea.

Just the other day someone in Mhaldor (who shall not be named you know who you are) decided to scold me on a raid defense party channel while being raided by you guys for using the words "vs." and "idk" when discussing a combat strategy... instead of taking the time to block while you guys were mind throwing and such. Within the same 30 second span I was mind thrown past the entire group of 3-4 potential blockers to my death.

YAY PRIORITIES
    You can feel free to name me, I don't mind. I am willing to close an eye to one or two slips, but by no means should anyone think that citywide Mhaldorian raid/defense parties are OOC and this should be enforced. It's not necessary and it's good practice. The first has nothing to do with the second.

Sure, I can admit to a mistake re: the blocking. I actually -was- blocking before, but unblocked because I thought we were preparing to move, then Crixos lessered and apparently no one else was blocking. So yeah, my/our bad on that one, you were unlucky.

On topic: I think Skype chatting (as in text chatting) is fine, it's no different from OOC clans. And sometimes, for non-important stuff like foozles, it can be fun. Otherwise though I probably wouldn't, especially not for RP. I've found that it's actually more difficult to continue roleplaying convincingly with someone you're on Skype with because it's somewhat immersion breaking, as @Ruth mentioned.
    I guess I don't understand how "idk" and "vs." are so immersion breaking, when spamming sentences multiple times to get an order across isn't, or using TARGET: calls, etc.

It's all for convenience. If you're going to tell me that in raid situation when being destroyed by Ashtan and attacked via telepathy I need to take the time to spell out every word with proper punctuation and formatting because it breaks your immersion, then I guess we just disagree to what extent that applies/when/how.
  • Some parties are OOC (like if it's just me and @Xer), but unless it's specifically stated, i would safely assume our parties are IC.

• Hasar said:
    Some parties are OOC (like if it's just me and @Xer), but unless it's specifically stated, i would safely assume our parties are IC.
    Yea, I'm not going to say "oh fuck my dog walked on my keyboard" but I don't think "idk" and "vs." are any worse than target calls, spamming instructions, or whatever else goes on, as I said previously.
  • Ruth and Bluef make sense, they don't necessarily want the familiarity of voice to compromise their IC personae or they don't want their alts exposed.  Those are practical problems.

Saying the loss of immersion is somehow worse than PT/ART spam we've learned to live with is rather silly, though.
  • I personally prefer avoiding that, still. "lol, idk, lmao, rofl," etc. Vs. is probably fine ,though I don't know when that would come up.

• edited September 2014
    Hasar said:
    I personally prefer avoiding that, still. "lol, idk, lmao, rofl," etc. Vs. is probably fine ,though I don't know when that would come up.
    We were discussing whether to do one thing or another, and I said to your response to my suggestion "idk" then "What about X if this happens vs. Y"

It's just convenience.

To me, it's like if you started telling people in party chat to change their target announce to "I am now focusing my attacks on (person's name), follow my lead!" Instead of "Target: X"

Sure, I could've said "I'm not so sure on that Lord Marshal, perhaps if we applied this strategy this result might occur, but I'm not quite sure about this contrapositive outlying result."

Like, I get the need for immersion and IC, even in a raid party, but that just seemed like splitting hairs and way off-base to me.

I'm trying to communicate in between getting mind thrown and attacked by everyone in their group. Maybe it's easier to not abbreviate and such when you're not the one being focused, but as a monk, I'm constantly getting telepathy attacked and focused because I'm one of the only people able to offensively hinder them when we're gathered away from them off LOS.

I got pretty annoyed that it felt like some people had the time/leisure to chide me for being "ooc" when I'm getting attacked constantly and under duress.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited September 2014
    Well, let's take 'btw' and 'idk' as examples - these are very clearly OOC abbreviations, since nobody says 'btw' or 'idk' in real life (I hope, anyway) whereas people can very plausibly say 'Target <person>'. Just use shorter words, or something vocally similar - I wouldn't say anything against 'I dunno', for instance. Spamming instructions is sometimes necessary to get around spam, which you can explain away as having to repeat instructions in the chaos of battle, but I wouldn't say there would be situations where things like 'idk' and 'btw' would be vital to conveying messages. People do say 'vs', so that's all right.

I'm not expecting you to go full ye olde English on me (I did try, it doesn't work, especially not on 250ms ping) but I think maintaining a base standard is a good idea. Newer players will be looking to the older ones to see what is acceptable and what isn't in grey areas like these - it has to start somewhere, even if people have been doing it for years. As suggestions, 'btw' could always be replaced by 'also', and 'idk' with 'unsure', if you're looking for alternatives. Obviously 'lol' can always be 'haha' too, though I know it doesn't sound the same.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I suppose I don't disagree, I just felt the timing/approach was a bit juxtaposed with the situation at hand.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited September 2014
    Sure, that's fair, I can understand being frustrated from dying and it being lower on your priority list. I am sorry you died in that case, it was bad luck and in hindsight a tell probably would have been more appropriate. Just wanted to post to clarify my thoughts on it and hopefully show where I'm coming from.

Anyway sorry for derailing! Back to topic.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Jurixe said:
    Sure, that's fair, I can understand being frustrated from dying and it being lower on your priority list. I am sorry you died in that case, it was bad luck. Just wanted to post to clarify my thoughts on it and hopefully show where I'm coming from.
    Mostly because the death is usually avoidable by spamming movements opposite theirs, but I was typing out a response to you in a tell and got caught doing so, so when I died I didn't react fast enough and was like OH FOR FUCKS SAKE  :'(
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    Heh, I meant to click "Yes, I would use", not "Yes, I already use"...good ole mouse skills.

• So how do you feel about a utility that allows city/org leaders to notify soldiers/citizens/allies who are not logged into the game about raids?
  • Bukariin said:
    So how do you feel about a utility that allows city/org leaders to notify soldiers/citizens/allies who are not logged into the game about raids?
    Double-edged sword.
    I seem to constantly log in 30 minutes after Mhaldor has finished raiding somewhere. Having advanced knowledge without having to be logged in could be nice. It could also create expectations of player availability that I'd rather not deal with, though. Kind of like checking one's work email on the weekend.

• I'd only use stuff like this with close friends/hardcore PKers that I fight with. I wouldn't use this type of thing with any random player as a replacement for the IG immersion/rp.

• I definitely wanted "no", but certainly not in an "omg, you're ruining my immersion" sense.  I just don't want to talk to people - I want to talk to people in text.  Basically, poor Frank Fingerman was a fine fellow.  

• Having played WoW for years, coming back to Achaea after the last break was just...weird. I didn't have any voices in my head. I kept saying things aloud expecting people in game to hear me. I think I had PTSD - Post traumatic skype disorder. :C
  • I like listening to music while roleplaying. In fact, when I'm in a skype call with friends, if things hit the fan and I have to combat or freeze tag or something else that requires my focus, I usually leave said skype call and turn up said music.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    edited September 2014
    I like talking to some people OOCly, but mostly about stuff that aren't important IG. If someone oocly approaches me about something with an IG consequence, I just tell them to tell me icly.

Whoa, I confuse myself :(

EDIT: I confused myself so much, I clicked the second choice. :S In any case, it's a decision I apply to myself. I can't stop many people on taking the OOC route in solving IG concerns but I can sure ignore them (still depending on the situation).
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Jurixe said:
    Well, let's take 'btw' and 'idk' as examples - these are very clearly OOC abbreviations, since nobody says 'btw' or 'idk' in real life (I hope, anyway)

• You're all obnoxious enough over text, I can't imagine you all over skype chat.
  • LumLum Netherlands
    Any other game, I'd likely say yes, but the immense amounts of coin-tosses in the game (including who's around to defend/raid), is what makes it so dynamic, in my opinion. 

There's always going to be weighted scales, cities that just simply have good combatants that are always there, but that's what would make a real faction dangerous, as well: fighters that are actually there and gud @ fites. Likely that faction would win over one where the fighters are, in fact, not there, and also just bad at it. Also, muh RPs >:(

Note that all of this is incredibly biased, because my timezone makes me miss literally everything ever. 

• From a combat perspective, I'm totally fine with it, even RP-wise, because it allows a level (and speed) of communication that's honestly quite realistic.  While this prevents in-game communication abilities from being effective, I don't see that as as negative as OOC communication is positive.

However, in virtually any non-combat scenario, in-game communication is more than sufficient, and IMO should always be used for any in-character communication.
  • TillieTillie VA
    edited October 2014
    Y'all can add me to skype and I'll just voice all the sound effects and denizens while you play.

But for real:

I like to use it in strictly OOC situations - like when we've played CaH in the past. We can mention Achaea things - but nothing incriminating, and we just act stupid (and I'm good at that).

Also because when I started reading this thread, I immediately wanted to say,