Dropped Gold

edited September 2014 in North of Thera
How would you react? What's considered 'right' when it comes to returning dropped gold? 

Do you keep it? Or Return it?

Discuss!

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    jesus, that amount, personally I'd keep like.. 20%, and send the rest back with a note. I'd imagine there's a fair few people who'd just keep it all and laugh like jackasses though
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Depends. If it's the type of person that devours non-coms for no reason then I would probably keep it, or at least most of it.

I agree with Cooper's assessment.
  • I've noticed a broad spectrum across players in Achaea.

It seems like a true wild card if you encounter such things, and shaming peers works quite well for returning it. 

That being said, there's been instances where I have came across both situations and my rationale is entirely as you mentioned, Cooper. If the player would have done the same for me, I return it. If they wouldn't have, other things are done with it. (Like fueling a Gleam addiction, for instance)

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• I would return Talysin, Jovolo, and Tharvis.

But I would definitely keep Aelios's.

• Tharvis said:
    jesus, that amount, personally I'd keep like.. 20%, and send the rest back with a note. I'd imagine there's a fair few people who'd just keep it all and laugh like jackasses though
    You raise an interesting point though...

...Is there a threshold of where keeping it defers to returning it? 

Would you keep, say, 20k?

30k?

50k?

100k?

-Albert Einstein

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Aelios said:
    Tharvis said:
    You raise an interesting point though...

...Is there a threshold of where keeping it defers to returning it? 

Would you keep, say, 20k?

30k?

50k?

100k?
    30K is probably the most I'd keep
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I think the most I've kept that someone has dropped was like 6k. I've picked up 80k+ from bad timing in raids and such, and just simply returned the full amount, or close to the full amount. Sometimes it can open up fun avenues to talk to people you generally don't get to interact with.
  • XerXer Langley
    edited September 2014
    33% if enemy faction. If random noncom, or uninvolved person, generally all of it. If it's a small amount, w/e, keep it (like 1000~). I don't really care if I lose money via dying and dropping it - I should have put it away. I've had 210k from me taken that way once and it wasn't returned. Meh
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • I'd say the threshold depends on both what the person deserves and how much gold they have. For some people, 20k is huge, while others wouldn't even notice it was missing.
  • @Aerek dropped 25k last night in a mini skirmish/raid in Cyrene. I promptly returned it to him. If it's below 10k, I generally keep it
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Give it back if (a) the person isn't a member of enemy organizations or (b) it's more than 10,000. That's a fair chunk of gold to me, and I'd be pretty bummed if I lost that much. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • I think the general rule is that if a lot of gold has been dropped, it's usually because of ooc credit being bought and then sold, so the gold should be returned.

That't my take on it anyway

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • @Taraus: Because you're keeping your hands on 361 other things.

If I pick up a smallish amount (less than 5k) in a group fight, I won't return it because it's not even worth scrolling up to see who dropped it. Otherwise, I don't remember being in a situation where I've picked up a lot of gold from somebody I've killed and ended up keeping it. I used to return gold to Tenebrus all the time, back when I was poor as shit and he was absolutely loaded and wouldn't really have cared about losing it.
  • NylithNylith Beaverton, OR
    I'd say return it if it's over 10k. I'm leery about taking more than 10k from someone. I remember what it was like to be dirt-poor. If was someone of an enemy faction, I'd probably want to return it with some sort of satisfying RP though
  • Sobriquet said:
    I think the general rule is that if a lot of gold has been dropped, it's usually because of ooc credit being bought and then sold, so the gold should be returned.

That't my take on it anyway

This is part of why I want to be able to buy and sell credits with the gold in the bank, not on my person.
  • @Razha: Having gold from credit sales go directly to your bank is already an option. I'm not sure about adding the ability to buy directly from there. Then you have none of the risk with all of the current convenience.
  • I'm a firm believer in karma. What goes around comes around and all that.
  • To my recollection, the only time I've ever kept a large amount of gold is from a drop that someone who had taken a large amount from me on a death dropped.

I recently had put something like 40 credits on the market as I was trying to buy a clan, and forgot about it (was like, 2 OOC days of them being there) -- Mid-fight, they sold and I dropped about 250,000 gold.

Said individual kept it and claimed someone else took it, and after a back and forth exchange, they simply kept it.

Karma was a bitch, however. Got 180k back, so while it wasn't everything, it was something.

-Albert Einstein

• Wtf you're supposed to do things like add hierophant get gold from pack to your unravel aliases.
  • Jhui said:
    Wtf you're supposed to do things like add hierophant get gold from pack to your unravel aliases.
     @Jinsun Tips.tm

-Albert Einstein

• I return anything above 10,000 minus the cost of method of returning.
  • I returned 100%

Gave @Halios 120k back last week.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited September 2014
    I'd always give back large amounts, small amounts no one is going to miss (unless it's a newbie but honestly if im killing a newbie they did something that's going to make me not want to give it back)

But I always have that fear since the config credit sales thing to bank doesn't work that im going to forget I have credits for sale and they will sell as im about to die
    (and oddly enough 10 of my credits sold last night while I was fighting hashan 5v1 o.O(me being the 1 of course))

Oh and on that note I'd give it back if they asked for it back.

• I would probably do something silly like play a hand of blackjack with the gold, so either both of us get their gold or neither of us get it. However, I'd take it as an IC event, and would roleplay it out rather than just do whatever I'd do.

Nim would probably use the gold benevolently, whether that means giving it back, giving it to people she thinks it could help, or etc.

If I were playing a dirty, rotten thief, they would probably keep it with a sly "thanks for the gold, teehee." If I were playing an honorable knight, the gold would probably be returned. If I were playing a fun-loving jester, you can bet there'd be a game made of it, if it were an appreciable enough amount to do that.
  • I just consider combat my full-time gold maker in game. I don't really do anything else for gold. I literally fund myself off gold that I pick up off the ground and gold that I get from contracts. Nothing else, really.