Furniture Rework

JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
edited September 2014 in The Golden Dais of Creation
I know this is going to be extremely low priority on the List but I thought I'd just throw it up here for discussion anyway, and while I remember it.

At the moment, requested furniture from Delos looks something like this:

This is a black oak chair with a covering of crimson leather. It is narrow in dimension. It is 
polished. Its workmanship is ornate in style. It is sitting behind a black oak desk.
It weighs about 9 pounds.
It has 80 months of usefulness left.
It bears the distinctive mark of: The City of Mhaldor.
On it you see:
Nothing.

I hate to say it, but it's very plain, awkward to read, and really quite uninspiring. With the recent advent of the poses system, people now don't even need furniture to pose themselves as sitting on furniture, with the exception of furniture for storage purposes. I would still like furniture though, just for how it looks in a room, but I really don't like the provided descriptions.

I really like how the housing denizen description process was implemented and I wanted to ask if some variant of that couldn't be made available for furniture too. Let us describe our own furniture the way we want it to be seen, then you wouldn't have to worry about adding new finishes, materials, colours, lining and whatnot, and we'd be happy because we can get it exactly the way we want it to be without being limited by choice. In regards to how some furniture appears when placed near other furniture, perhaps you could just make it the way it does now - default it to its short appearance in room, and when probed, say that it's near the other item. So:

an apple-green chair

Soft and fluffy, an apple-green chair is here.

This is a pretty apple-green chair covered with a lot of green fluff that makes it look very comfortable to relax in.

When put near a table:

There are 2 apple-green chairs near a black table here.

In terms of profitability, with this increased customisation option, more people would be inclined to buy furniture = making it a better gold sink. And although I guess this removes the appearance customisation option in terms of revenue, I think this would be offset by more people willing to make it non-decay - an investment of 100cr per piece of unique furniture is rather hefty compared to 50cr. Even if people don't make it non decay, they'd definitely be buying more furniture, so at least you get a bigger gold sink.

If the above is too complicated, then I'd like to suggest at least a better descriptive process somewhat like when you get a statue made in Lothos or a portrait in Zanzibaar. Though we choose a number of different options, the end product flows smoothly and is something nice to have as opposed to a rather awkward-looking room prop that won't match however grand your decor is.

Any thoughts on this?
If you like my stories, you can find them here:
Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

Comments

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I don't know, I'd probably not bother customizing things with long descriptions unless it was non-decay. If anything, furniture should come with the non-decay bit included, and make us shell out to make it nice to look at. However, since the denizens come with the 100-credit custom/reset package for free in their 10,000 gold price tag, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that furniture get a similar treatment. You could even raise the gold price of furniture to compensate.

Granted, it is odd that the eternal servitude of a sentient being costs 1/2 the price of your average chair, which will decay. Or maybe that's enforced roleplay. I guess it's true that the Classical/Medieval ages didn't particularly value their servants.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Aerek said:
    I don't know, I'd probably not bother customizing things with long descriptions unless it was non-decay. If anything, furniture should come with the non-decay bit included, and make us shell out to make it nice to look at. However, since the denizens come with the 100-credit custom/reset package for free in their 10,000 gold price tag, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that furniture get a similar treatment. You could even raise the gold price of furniture to compensate.

Granted, it is odd that the eternal servitude of a sentient being costs 1/2 the price of your average chair, which will decay. Or maybe that's enforced roleplay. I guess it's true that the Classical/Medieval ages didn't particularly value their servants.

Clothing/jewellery/other crafted things aren't non-decay, but people spend lots of time customising them too! I actually think many homeowners would be delighted at the prospect of being able to add customisable furniture to their house - look at how much gold the unique furniture of Sangre Keep fetched, never mind something you can actually create on your own. I would be completely fine with the gold price being raised if it was reasonable and if we really got this degree of customisation.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs