Can't Connect? [Have Internet Connection]

For some reason, I get stuck at this point while trying to log in - 

(mapper): Mudlet Mapper script for IREs (14.6.1) loaded! (homepage)
(svo): Loaded svo Knight limbcounter, version 1.0.
(svo): Loaded svo Dragon limbcounter, version 1.0.
(svo): Loaded & ready to go, version 14.9.1 (homepage)
[  OK  ]  -  Lua module rex_pcre loaded
[  OK  ]  -  Lua module zip loaded
[  OK  ]  -  Lua module lfs loaded
[  OK  ]  -  Lua module sqlite3 loaded
[  OK  ]  -  mudlet-lua API & Geyser Layout manager loaded.
[ INFO ]  -  looking up the IP address of server:achaea.com:23 ...
[ INFO ]  -  The IP address of achaea.com has been found. It is: 69.65.42.198
[ INFO ]  -  trying to connect to 69.65.42.198:23 ...

My internet connection works and I was logged into Achaea 2 hours-ish ago with the same laptop and internet connection. Would anyone happen to have an idea of what's going on?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Ports probably. Check firewall or router and check that port 23 is open

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I think port 23 is open since other people are able to log in. Firewall settings haven't changed. As for my router, I'm using the wifi provided by my university(unsecured connection). Would the type of wifi used be a possible issue?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• I think port 23 is open since other people are able to log in. Firewall settings haven't changed. As for my router, I'm using the wifi provided by my university(unsecured connection). Would the type of wifi used be a possible issue?
    Is that the same wifi you were using a few hours ago? Port blocking/firewalls are independent of encryption - could be that the university has the port blocked.
  • I'm using the same wifi I was using a few hours ago, strangely enough. I'm not sure what my university's policy on using library internet is but I don't think this merits blockage.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• I'm using the same wifi I was using a few hours ago, strangely enough. I'm not sure what my university's policy on using library internet is but I don't think this merits blockage.
    I was more thinking they might just have a range of ports blocked by default, but if you can usually connect from the same network, that's probably not the problem.
  • I can't connect with the wifi in my apartment either, even after reformatting my computer. Panic mode engaged :fearful: 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tried a different port? 2003 also works. Other than that, if it's the same computer, then it's entirely possible that it's a local firewall or some other piece of software that's blocking connection.

Also, does the html5 client work? http://play.achaea.com
  • Nope, the html5 client doesn't work either and I've tried both ports(23 and 2003). I have a feeling it's a problem related to my internet connection and might resolve to getting a new one unrelated to my university/apartment.

I'll try it out once more tomorrow, thanks @Tecton.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• If you think it's to do with the school wireless, find a cafe/bar/whatever with wifi and try there.
  • maybe you have a bad jump somewhere. Throw a VPN up and connect from the opposite side of the US

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:
    maybe you have a bad jump somewhere. Throw a VPN up and connect from the opposite side of the US

Hm, would the opposite side of the US from (I think central) Canada be Mexico, or just Texas?
  • This is so sketchy :c Why does this isp have control over what pops up on my browser, ugh.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• RomRom
    edited September 2014
    Because you're using their DNS! Can use some public alternatives, like Google's or namebench it. Won't solve the connection issue though.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • It seems like my ISP is blocking port 23/2003. Is there a way to get around port blocking? 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• Seems extremely unlikely that an ISP would block all Telnet traffic.

Are you sure your router isn't doing that?
  • Not sure, actually - since I'm on internet wifi provided by my apartment's administration. I'll try checking out the router settings, if possible, though kinda doubtful about the configurability.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• I don't think that service is checking whether the port is open for outgoing traffic. Rather, it's trying to initiate a connection to your computer on port 23, and failing because you're not running a telnet server (and of course, your network likely does block incoming traffic except maybe to specific servers).
  • KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    When I was in dorms (some years ago) and playing impy I had the same issue. Turns out the system admin saw the port being used and thought it was an attack and blocked it out.

I had to go through hoops to get it unblocked.  I hope that isn't what it is, but worth a check
  • Exelethril  

Canyousee me, is looking for an open port on *your* machine. You're not trying to connect to your machine. You're trying to connect to achaea.com's machine. So, that report isn't going to tell you anything. 

If you're still having problems, I'd suggest what @Rom said, and changing your DNS. You can also run a tracert (Start orb/menu, in the run box, type CMD.exe, then in that black window, type tracert www.achaea.com) . See if something along your route to Achaea is out. 

Hope you get it sorted out. 
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited September 2014
    Nvm should have read the above post better.

• CylaCyla Yggdrasil
    Caladbolg said:
    So.. im sitting here playing achaea and all of a sudden it goes out, I keep trying to reconnect but nothing, my internet is working fine and forums are working fine however I can't connect to achaea and the website is also showing me webpage not available.

Same exact problem just now. I can't even get the ironrealms.com site to pull up.

(Party): Marcalo says, "You will want hypno in place."

(Party): Marcalo says, "When you attempt this lock."

(Party): Marcalo says, "So as to make it roughsex."

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Same here. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
    edited September 2014
    I ran the tracert report and it's hung up there looks like. I think it may only be comcast?

From what I can tell looks like it's having problems at ae-1-51.edge6.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.69.15.16]

• edited September 2014
    I'm on Comcast too, can't log in either. Tracert hangs at 23.30.207.98
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Also on comcast, just got taken out as I died. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I've been able to reconnect twice for very short periods of time. Also a Comcast user.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited September 2014
    Kayeil said:
    I've been able to reconnect twice for very short periods of time. Also a Comcast user.
    Same, I connected twice, for seconds. EDIT: All good now looks like. EDIT: Aaaand I jinxed it.
    edited September 2014
    Working again at least for me.

Well did for a few seconds, I believe comcast broke something and are fixing it.

Actually knowing Comcast they are likely doing maintenance on it since it's 1 am and have it turned off or something dumb. 

---
    Also sorry for highjacking your thread Exel

• [ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    You mean, "the internet"