PK Rules and Consequences

Comments

• But then they'll come back and finish the shrine, meaning they get to defile the shrine and you'll have wasted two sips of their health elixir.

I can only assume from your suggestion that you do not defile/defend against defiling, since your suggestion is pretty farcical.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited September 2014
    Silas said:
    But then they'll come back and finish the shrine, meaning they get to defile the shrine and you'll have wasted two sips of their health elixir.

I can only assume from your suggestion that you do not defile/defend against defiling, since your suggestion is pretty farcical.
    Why would you not chase after them if you'd already attacked them and finish the job? From my personal experience of defending against defilers (never assume, it makes an ASS of U and ME), if it's a non-com, they'll run and not come back for a good while. If it's someone who's up for fighting, you'll get a fight.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited September 2014
    I see what both of you are saying. I think Klendathu's pov is that it doesn't make sense to witness, then attack and kill a person, then yield the writ so a person basically dies twice for a single shrine incident. I don't remember it ever mechanically working that way though, from my memory of the old PK rules, you could only legally attack a defiler if you were holding a writ (after witnessing them). If you killed the person while holding a writ, it deleted the writ. If you yielded the writ to your Order, you no longer had cause to attack them.

I think its worth digging up old announce;

Date: 12/19/2005 at 2:54
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Shrine writs

I've just made a change to how shrine writs and witnessing works, so if
    you're in a Divine Order or you enjoy passing the time by defiling
    shrines, you'll want to pay close attention.

When you WITNESS SHRINE and obtain a writ now, instead of the writ going
    directly to your Order, it will go into a list of writs you hold on
    behalf of your Order. You can see these with the WRITS command, if you
    have any.

While you hold a writ on behalf of your Order, you are allowed to attack
    the person the writ is against. This allows you to defend a shrine
    immediately when you find someone defiling it. If you'd prefer that your
    Order call upon a mark member to handle the writ instead, you can WRIT
    YIELD . If you do so, you can no longer attack that person.

Of course, what if you go to witness a shrine, gain a single writ
    against the defiler, and find that the defiler has 10 friends with him
    ready to jump in to 'defend' the defiler? To prevent this, HELP PKCAUSE
    now has an addition under Section 4 for Defense, to state that if you
    defile a shrine, you have initiated the conflict and are not eligible
    for legit defense from retaliation for your act within a minute of the
    writ being generated. If the writ holder goes to hunt down the defiler
    later, though, and those 10 friends are with the defiler, they can
    indeed defend. Hopefully that makes more sense in practice. :ph34r:

HELP WRITS and the writs section of HELP PKCAUSE have been amended to
    reflect the changes.

In summary, if you witness a defiler now, you CAN initiate combat with
    the defiler. If you liked it the old way where the Order hired a mark,
    you can simply yield the writ and let it be done the old way. Let's see
    how this works out!

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited September 2014
    My personal experience with writs is that although they cleared up the hearsay issue of who was actually defiling so that orders could go after actual culprits, they've been used irresponsibly by some people.

Whether you're killing someone over and over instead of just the one time each writ allows (I think that is accurate anyway), attacking people beyond the 75 day hold date for the writ, or lying about holding a writ at all, you're being a jerk and having fun at someone else's expense. The questionable legality of such actions is difficult to even get into because those who defile can't see if anyone holds writs against them in the same way they can, at the very least, see bounties claimed.

I agree that it is also problematic that someone can hold a writ for nearly 75 IC days and then yield it for a Mark to finish the job. Yes, it's defiling. Yes, you should expect conflict to come from it. But for people who are hoping to dip their toes into the PK pool this way, it is a pretty stiff series of consequences. 

[Edit: Morning brain. Typos. ]
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    From what I'm given to understand (I wouldn't know, IC rules keep me from engaging in defiling), if you wish to "dip your toe" into PK, defiling is absolutely the worst way to do so for many reasons, including the writs and how long they last, how likely you are to get piled on for spitting on a God, the likelihood of being hunted down later for it, getting enemied to an Order for it, dealing with worldburn potentially in the future, and the fact that most of the playerbase has a "no mercy" policy for defilers in the present culture.

Santar spoke earlier in the thread about easy ways to get into PK, and I definitely agree. If you're defiling in the present Achaean culture, you should expect to be get beat down pretty hard. Whether that's okay or not could be debated a good deal, but it is what it is nonetheless.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited September 2014
    At least for Sartan Order we don't hold Writs for very long, they're usually yielded or fulfilled quickly because there was a skirmish after. Holding writ for 75 IG days then hiring and getting a full 30 months of the contract seems pretty lulzy. There's an order that does that?

Edit: And if there are people in sartan Order doing that, should let one of us know. From what I see on logs when I check, pretty sure it isn't the case, though.

• edited September 2014
    While I do see the logic behind some of your guys' comments regarding writs, I have to say... I don't see why its such a big deal.

I'm not trying to boast here, just making a logical point, but I dropped like 75 shrines in the period of a few days a while back, by myself (almost every one of them on the mainland) and almost none of them were witnessed (I wanna say 2, maybe 3).

When defiling alone, it's pretty simple to avoid shrines being witnessed (assuming you don't leave them standing).  When done with a group, it's virtually impossible for witnessers to show up on time.

So if writs are really that big of a deal for you, here are a few simple tips to avoid them:

1) Use bigger corpses
    2) Block the route to the shrine (easily done with icewalls, gravehands, piety, etc)
    3) Don't leave shrines standing (know how much essence you have before you start)
    4) Bring friends (pretty easy to drop a shrine in a few seconds, and anyone can defile)
    5) Drop a monolith / target indoor shrines.
    6) lastly, if you can't handle writs on you or people showing up to defend shrines, and you (for some reason) can't do any of the above then don't defile.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited September 2014
    Melodie said:
    From what I'm given to understand (I wouldn't know, IC rules keep me from engaging in defiling), if you wish to "dip your toe" into PK, defiling is absolutely the worst way to do so for many reasons, including the writs and how long they last, how likely you are to get piled on for spitting on a God, the likelihood of being hunted down later for it, getting enemied to an Order for it, dealing with worldburn potentially in the future, and the fact that most of the playerbase has a "no mercy" policy for defilers in the present culture.

Santar spoke earlier in the thread about easy ways to get into PK, and I definitely agree. If you're defiling in the present Achaean culture, you should expect to be get beat down pretty hard. Whether that's okay or not could be debated a good deal, but it is what it is nonetheless.
    I think you may be confusing my suggestion that this could be a fun way to get more into PK with this is a great way for people who don't have combat experience to get some. Shrine defiling is a guaranteed conflict-bringer, but it can also be pretty fun if you're ready and willing to embrace that level of conflict. I think the main issue I was pointing at was that people may think they're ready without fully understanding the score of potential consequences you just mentioned, in particular the way writs currently work.

[Edit: @Hasar - Yes, yes there is! It's not Sartan-related though. I've never experienced it myself, but my perception of others engaged in anti-Mhaldorian conflict has been that they exact quick and certain death rather quickly when someone holds a writ. ]

• I believe a bigger issue that most people get upset about in regards to pk, large scale or not, is that while there should be a more open pk system that does not require you to memorize every single rule, there should be a little bit of restraint shown by those starting fights versus other groups of people. You can joke about how terrible I am, how miserable of a leader I am and how my faction would do better without me, but I have, time and time again, been one of the strongest individuals in Targossas attempting to turn things around. I am fluid in my leadership, however, and when I notice that people are burning out, being abused, and not enjoying the game my empathy gets the best of me and I tend to also share that displeasure. Contrary to what you might believe about my issues, 85% of the time they are in order to get a ruling that clarifies a situation. I believe that is a fine use of the system.

That being said, if you message Ashtan and go, "Okay, we've been tapped out and have stopped enjoying this" they will almost always stop, unless they have a real tangible goal to be doing what they are doing. They like to fight, which is why they start fights, but have almost always been reasonable. Mhaldor is less approachable in regards to this and that tends to be because they are pushing some overarching plot and are far more entrenched in the reason behind attacking than Ashtan. While they too enjoy combat, they are likely trying to start a war and continue pushing forward their group synergy they built up during the war with Eleusis. This means we have two highly volatile, well trained groups of people who enjoy fighting and almost all of our time is spent dealing with this.

You can say "Stop caring about shrines" all you want and it won't kick in for a long time for most of the people who are RP-serious about it. It's a mechanic we use for one reason, and is used against us for another reason. I know I am going to get attacked if I hit mindnet, walk into a room, or have a funny look on my face and I am near any aggressive groups, but for the average citizen, they can walk into or around your group, outside of the City or just near the shrine you are using to start a fight and get killed without being apart of the conflict, which to them feels illegal. And then it sets them in a bad place. And that is the kind of pk rule I care about, because the aggressors have a very clear way of starting fights that fits within the confines of the systems in place, and often this tends to still escalate to a way that someone feels abused.

I understand both sides of these situations almost completely. What feels over the top and tends to set people into a hysteria on the matter is the fact that far too often not only are they thrust into conflict someone else wants, they are punished for reacting often upwards of three hours after (in some extreme cases, they are hunted due to their choice to defend). There are some of you on each side, and likely some on mine, who will take the fight too far. If we made smaller skirmishes be over when they happen and not drag it out and go after someone later for reacting, they are far more likely to react later.

The most common complaint I get to mediate is that the duration of raids or  conflict is too long and that too much experience was lost. I admit freely that often times the leader (which is often me) on our side is at fault for them losing experience due to a bad call, bad application, or misplaying / not expecting something. This is not just because people care about xp, but more in line with what Daeir said, they care about their time. And when all of their time is defending, fighting, being forced out of their RP (can't get a House ceremony in to save a life with the duration and frequency of conflict) they are going to stop showing up, and our numbers of well trained combatants vs yours will continue to have a larger gap.

tl;dr a lot of Targossians are just upset about having no time that they control. Being this faction is difficult - we are always under a microscope; we are vital to everyone elses 'fun' which is genuinely not fun for most of us. This causes us to react poorly. Experience means less than you believe for a lot of people.
  • Davio said:
    Contrary to what you might believe about my issues, 85% of the time they are in order to get a ruling that clarifies a situation. I believe that is a fine use of the system.
    This point stuck out to me. If you're issuing for clarification, use ISSUE ME. This statement of your implies you're issuing others for clarification, which is an atrocious use of the system. ISSUE ME for clarification, then forward the reply to whoever you want to be informed of the ruling.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Klendathu said:
    Silas said:
    So you expect peope to witness and then just stand by while you defile in front of them?
    No, you either witness, or attack, not both. If you're a more direct action type person, attack rather than witness. If someone's being attacked, they're probably going to stop defiling at that point

Agreed. If Larry is raiding Targossas, you don't send Moe to fight him while Curly spams CONTRACT MARK FOR LARRY. If someone is defiling, you either go defend until they stop defiling, or get a writ at each location. Don't understand why defiling is such a horrible action that people think you should be open PK for it.
  • edited September 2014
    No, unfortunately that isn't how it works. If you try to ISSUE ME on many things, they tell you they can't do any research that way, and you need to issue the person. So I do.

(not always the case, I do use issue me a lot for this reason, but in times it does not work, I issue the person)
  • If you're issuing the person you're not trying to find something out.

ISSUE ME always works if you explain the situation instead of "X person did Y can he be issued for that" or whatever you're doing.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• edited September 2014
    No, it doesn't 'always work'. Hence me issuing the person. If you want more proof, I would love to give it to you, but all I have is experience from dealing with it.

I have never issued myself to ask if I can issue someone else. I ask the question very clearly, and in many instances the clarification required needs the person and I have been told as much. If it's a clarification on someones actions and I am asking for a ruling on how the situation is supposed to be handled, I am told to issue the person and 'let it work itself out'. 
  • No, it really doesn't always work. I've been told the same thing and forced into issuing specific people just to gain clarification on something (which of course pisses the person I've issued off because, really, who wants to be issued?).
  • After much dwelling on the topic, I think what needs to be added is a HELP file describing Reasonable Expectation of Warning.  It would resolve a lot of the confusion that culminates in issues and/or illegal hiring and/or frustration by non-combatants or casual combatants.

Basically, if Jill is doing something that could ICly justify Jack killing her, but Jill doesn't know that (like being a soldier of a city that is being raided), Jack has to extend some sort of warning that city soldiers will be hunted and killed, like a SHOUT.  This gives Jill the option to leave the city and avoid PK.  If Jill doesn't leave the city, she can be killed ICly (as Jack has a reasonable expectation that Jill will attempt to defend, being a city soldier and ignoring the warning to leave).

Or, to use my prior example, if Jill is hunting in an area under the protection of Jack's organization, Jack has to extend a warning to Jill, giving Jill the option to stop.  Unlike the city soldier example, Jack doesn't have to extend this warning every time Jill hunts in the area: If it's extended once, anybody belonging to that org has reason to kill Jill if she's spotted hunting in that area in the future.

REW doesn't give combatants another IC way to kill non-combatants, of course.  Merely being in the same room as a combatant doesn't give that combatant an excuse to warn and then kill the non-combatant with no other IC justification.  This is along the lines of COMMON SENSE, but the warning part is really crucial for both sides of the equation (combatants don't get to gloat about being subject to frivolous issues, non-combatants don't get to whine about being killed for not knowing they were doing something wrong).

This wouldn't technically change any PK rules.  It merely clarifies good PK practices for both attackers and defenders.
  • Bukariin said:
    After much dwelling on the topic, I think what needs to be added is a HELP file describing Reasonable Expectation of Warning.  It would resolve a lot of the confusion that culminates in issues and/or illegal hiring and/or frustration by non-combatants or casual combatants.

Not really a fan of laying out explicit requirements for this sort of thing. One of the nice things about the move from the old PK rules to the new ones (in principle, anyway), is the move away from strict OOC constructs toward acting based on IC motivations, with some guidelines for what's acceptable and mechanisms for recourse for out-of-line behaviour. I have no problem with laying out clarifications as needed, but I don't really see much need for specific rules on this beyond HELP PK, HELP GRIEF, HELP IC RESOLUTION, et al.. It seems like it would as likely as not just turn into an extra layer of forced "I'm going to kill you now" exchanges, which will tend to break immersion without adding much. 
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Davio said:
    No, it doesn't 'always work'. Hence me issuing the person. If you want more proof, I would love to give it to you, but all I have is experience from dealing with it.

I have never issued myself to ask if I can issue someone else. I ask the question very clearly, and in many instances the clarification required needs the person and I have been told as much. If it's a clarification on someones actions and I am asking for a ruling on how the situation is supposed to be handled, I am told to issue the person and 'let it work itself out'. 
    What Jarrod is saying makes sense to me. I don't share your experience but if admins respond to ISSUE <person>, why wouldn't they respond to an ISSUE ME asking for clarification of a rule?
    If YOU'RE not sure, and nobody else (as in other players) are sure, it makes no sense to issue the other person for "clarification" without first trying things like TELL ROMEO Hi. I have a question maybe you can help me with? or MSG LATHIS Hi. I am not sure about how to handle a situation in regard to the rules. <your explanation> or ISSUE ME <explanation>. I think you have been told wrong because it sounds like what you currently do is no different than driving on the highway, writing down license plates of everyone you saw speeding, and then calling the police, giving them the license plate numbers and asking for "clarification" on whether or not they were speeding.
  • edited September 2014
    Eld said:
    Bukariin said:
    After much dwelling on the topic, I think what needs to be added is a HELP file describing Reasonable Expectation of Warning.  It would resolve a lot of the confusion that culminates in issues and/or illegal hiring and/or frustration by non-combatants or casual combatants.

It seems like it would as likely as not just turn into an extra layer of forced "I'm going to kill you now" exchanges, which will tend to break immersion without adding much. 
    If there were no exp loss involved with dying, I'd agree with you, but since dying unexpectedly breaks immersion more than being told that you're going to die, I have to disagree.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Bukariin said:
    If there were no exp loss involved with dying, I'd agree with you, but since dying unexpectedly breaks immersion more than being told that you're going to die, I have to disagree.
    Are you by chance Cyrenian?
  • Strata said:
    Bukariin said:
    Are you by chance Cyrenian?
    No, I'm just trying to understand what makes PK so upsetting that people issue when they're killed for legitimate, IC reasons, and Eld laid out that it has to do with immersion.
  • edited September 2014
    It's always been incredibly unfashionable to care about XP in Achaea, but every single one of us cares about XP, especially if we're losing a bunch of it, period.  We need to get past this lie we keep telling ourselves.  The only quasi-exceptions were people like old thieves - and that's because they were playing the game a very particular way, for a very particular sort of outcome.  People do not grind to dragon because they don't care about XP, so again, let's just stop lying to each other, and ourselves.  Yes, XP loss is less than it used to be, which was a step in the right direction (but maybe not in the long view, because now any discussion of it quickly degenerates to "but it used to be so much worse").  

Achaea manages to have both a PK environment that is incredibly daunting to get involved in, and (unsurprisingly when you think about it) a large, politically powerful segment of the playerbase that is overtly or passively quite hostile towards PK - even in cities that are by all rights supposed to be more conflict oriented.  Achaea has a big enough playerbase to allow for a city like Cyrene, which fulfills a very particular role, but I do think that the high bar of entry for PK actually has an incredibly negative effect on the status of PK in general.  It puts those of you who *do* PK at odds with a huge portion of the playerbase, instead of bringing them into your fold, even if it is in supporting roles (which in most cases it will be).  Historically, there was also an incredibly shitty attitude that "welp, you got involved in some group combat, prepare for every decent PK-er in Achaea to hunt you as much as they think they can possibly get away with".  I *hope* bounties can help with this, because they create a sanctioned PK system with inherent limits on kills, but within the context of Achaea's PK system, they actually might just be one more punitive measure for people getting a foot in the door.  The beauty of bounties is that you know someone is coming for you.  At worst, someone is going to kill you once, and then you can go on living life as normal.  It's actually pretty fun and exciting in Imperian.  

Get rid of basic XP loss and replace it with other things/perks that only come into play at fairly high levels anyway (and aren't crippling if they're lost to kills).  Get rid of infamy, too.  EDIT:  except perhaps for theft, since there are enough Achaeans who cling to the theft mechanism with a death grip.  

Another note is that because Achaea is so huge, it would be nice to find a way to scale at least some conflict situations down to something that can feel like a fun battle... like 5 on 5 or something, still plenty of spam, to be sure.  I realize there are people who can simply code around that, and combat focus, etc... but the one bad thing about huge battles is that yeah, it just feels like a computer compiling or something.  I don't see that going away, and that's fine, but it would be cool to have some situations that are smaller, and it would also allow the most elite of the PK crowd to choose an all-star team to fight another all-star team.  

• Melodie said:

I think I used PK in an earlier post when I meant to say conflict. Yes, as an entry point into PK, defiling is the worst way to go. However, as an entry point into conflict, defiling should be the first step: It's basically combining bashing with dueling or group combat, so its a logical progression from arena PK or NoT dueling into organizational conflict. 

With raiding, you're going from "Ok, KoTH in the arena, run to the hill, kill some dudes" to " Ok, totem in every fucking room, gotta avoid the guard stacks, have to insta-fly past archer rooms, don't wanna be in range of a shrine, damnit there's an indoor room between me and my destination, fuck I'm being radianced and I can't walk or fly out of here."

Dropping a shrine isn't a big deal, because reraising it means doing what like 50% of the Achaean playerbase does on a daily basis anyways. There's really no reason for a "no mercy" policy. If you don't like it, well fuck, you're not entitled to have 100 shrines up at any given time. You shouldn't feel obligated to grief someone out of conflict. Hell, if we all encouraged conflict, Achaea would be so much nicer.
  • I actually think XP loss right now is pretty fair, compared to when I last played. The first time I died since coming back, I was hella pissed at having to bash for 4 hours to get it back... and then I saw it was only a fraction of a percentage even though I prayed. Death now makes me cross, but not ragey. That's good.

The example others have cited, Imperian, is maybe not a direction Achaea should go PK-wise. I really like that death still has consequences. It makes victory and defeat mean a little more.

• Klendathu said:
    My thought is that if you go defiling, you're asking to be attacked, non-com or not. There shouldn't be actual attacks AND writs from witnessing, that's double-bubble. It boils down to three simple points:
    1. If you're witnessing, just witness.
    2. If you're attacking, just attack.
    3. If you're defiling, expect to be attacked OR witnessed.

In my experience defilers tend to fall into one of two categories in at least 9 out of 10 times, either they defile to farm kills (some don't even wait for a witness but immediately attack anyone that enters the room, I was actually once attacked when I walked into a room, where unknown to me some people were defiling, I wasn't even in that Order), the other kind is the type that immediately runs if someone shows up.

There isn't really anything RP-worthy in either of the two scenarios.
  • I heavily agree with something to split fighting groups up. Maybe more room attacks or something, with bonuses to damage based on how many people're in a room together, I dunno. Maybe copy erfworld and give stack bonuses that cap out at X people.
  • edited September 2014
    Ulrike said:
    I actually think XP loss right now is pretty fair, compared to when I last played. The first time I died since coming back, I was hella pissed at having to bash for 4 hours to get it back... and then I saw it was only a fraction of a percentage even though I prayed. Death now makes me cross, but not ragey. That's good.

The example others have cited, Imperian, is maybe not a direction Achaea should go PK-wise. I really like that death still has consequences. It makes victory and defeat mean a little more.
    Imperian has other, far less crippling costs.  But more importantly, they have a pretty neat way of looking at things from their upper combatant tier.  As one player put it:  

"You don't fear death because you're afraid of what happens when you die; you fear dying in embarrassing ways. This is why Khizan/Juran will fearlessly charge guards or enormous teams, and yet we will coordinate fights against Menoch and such with military precision. There is no shame in dying to the big side of a 9v4, but there is shame in losing a 3v3 to Menoch/Kryss/etc.

This is my OOC view on the matter, but it's also Khizan's IC view on things, which is how he justifies battle plans like "We're going to go in there and kill guards until we die, then we're going to come back and do it again." Death is a temporary setback; war stories are forever".

The reason XP loss is a problem is because most of us aren't good enough to not incur a net loss that will tend to increase over time - and we're not going to get "good enough" any time soon.  No XP loss would also mean that people like Dunn could raid Cyrene with impunity (which is great, but might have to be looked at if the costs and annoyance got to be too ridiculous).  That said, if the energy and skills of people like that were redirected towards other cool outlets (like a slightly different version of icons), it might not be a problem.