Combat for a newbie

So guys, I used to play a way long time ago, back when I was like 18. I'm 30 now, so it's been quite a while. I'm thinking about coming back, because I heard that Achaea has some pretty fun conflict mechanics and people here aren't whining douche bags. I've been reading up a little, and a few people I know have been talking to me about the classes. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Ashtan as a city, but I'm somewhat torn between the classes. I kinda like Occultist, and I kinda like the ideas behind Alchemist.

I don't want a super hard class to start off with, so I was hoping that some combatants from either class could tell me about each class, and if anyone who isn't an Occultist or Alchemist would like to weigh in about their specific class, please feel free. I'm not a big fan of pay-to-win classes, though.

-Bann

Comments

• Both classes are going to be a little difficult for PK without experience. However they are both good classes that can succeed without arties at tri-trans, when played right. There will be a steep learning curve to become effective, with any class, these two maybe a bit moreso. I can say if you learn alchemist well you will do great because it simply isn't understood well by most of the player base.

Monk is the go-to easy class to get into a lot of fighting and things but will need some invest later on as you progress (this honestly is any class,  eventually you just can't compete with arties without any yourself, but that will be a long way off for you to encounter this issue).

Good luck with your decision and you can always look me up in Ashtan for any further questions IG

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Thank you, @Atalkez. I'm not a newbie to IRE combat, I've done a lot of PvP in Aetolia, but I'm told it's quite a bit different, since the information presented here is nowhere near as in-depth. There, I have an AI to win for me, and I'm told that such a thing here is all but impossible(thankfully).

• edited August 2014
    The easiest class to achieve kills with at the newbie/midbie level is, hands down, magi.  Monk is also pretty easy if you buy knuckles.  Knights are pretty straight-forward as well, if you focus on damage.  You can later get more into affliction theory as you get more experienced.
  • Alchemist isn't hard to learn. Hard to master, maybe. There's lots of nifty things you can do with it, though. They're also pretty decent bashers.

• edited August 2014

Monk's good at mid-tier just because people can't tank the stupid damage you'll deal until they're leveled up to 70ish or they're a Jester.  Once you start hitting up people with more than 3k hitpoints, things get tricky.

• If you want a gimmick, puppet bleed will kill all newbies.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Ernam said:
    The easiest class to achieve kills with at the newbie/midbie level is, hands down, magi.  Monk is also pretty easy if you buy knuckles.  Knights are pretty straight-forward as well, if you focus on damage.  You can later get more into affliction theory as you get more experienced.
    Magi definitely the easiest kill class if you are bitrans (ignoring backstab delph ganks). You will hit a point that straight damage is no longer viable,  but retardation drops are sexy for that.
  • Magi aren't easy as bitrans unless you have a bunch of artifacts. Weaponry or a torc is pretty important to being successful, unless you get ridiculously hilariously lucky with stridulation or oscillate.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    At the bi trans level,  they are.  The combat is very linear/not complex until you have to rely on retardation because damage fails.  Even then,  fighting someone else bitrans in vibes,  you should never lose a retardation drop unless you mess up badly, the are anticipating it,  or rng screws you.  Just look at Jonesey. 
  • Mage requires quite a big jump in combat from lol damage style into a rather complex (for new player) concept such as retardation, where you have to take into account a plethora of different variables, making it a good and a bad suggestion for first starting.

Sure you'll kill other noobs and low levels with damage, but then when you drop retardation you are entering another arena completely.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Maybe he'd rather pay a couple hundred dollars to pit affliction abilities against the latest in automated curing? If you hurry, you can beat the rush.