Roleplay, Boons

Why not use boons (see: HELP BOONS) to reward people for catalyzing roleplay (creating/running events, leading sermons/discussions, or consistently playing in-character in a way that positively impacts others' experience).  There are countless ways to reward people that don't involve combat that could be easily handed out somewhat regularly.  Some easy examples range from experience bonuses, gold drop bonuses, an extra minor trait (for the duration of the boon), a flat experience reward, a small NPC damage shield (3% or something).  All of the boons could also, obviously, be proportional to the event.

Now I know that good old-fashioned in-character fun is its own reward, but positive incentives never hurt anyone, especially incentives that don't actually cost anyone anything.  Even if the boons are relatively tiny, I think the psychology of knowing that good-behavior is rewarded would dramatically increase peoples' likelihood to play in-character.

Just a thought!  Feel free to tear it apart.

Comments

• I think the intention is good, but implementation is basically impossible, as has been previously discussed. Admin dont have time to attend every "high RP" event, and a player based system would just become a popularity contest.
  • edited August 2014

Fair points, actually.  The admin don't have to reward "all" or even "most" of them, though.  Could just be occasional, and it would still be effective, psychologically.  Not trying to change the world here, just would like to see people incentivized to RP, and also find a use for the archaeic Boon system.  Two birds with one stone, basically.

If one single person was given a Boon for running an event, the result would be near-instantaneous.  Everyone would be saying "Hey, did you hear so-and-so got a Boon for running that event?  How crazy!".  You can call it forced if you like, but I would bet a paycheck you'd see roleplay pouring over the edges in no time.  Even if it was just one or two boons a week.
  • But then wouldn't people just be RPing for these temporary hard-coded rewards rather than for the enjoyment of RP?

How do you think that would affect the quality of RP?
  • I don't see that being an issue as long as rewards are only given to people who do things that require sincere effort and/or quality, and the rewards themselves are kept somewhat minimal.  Like kids getting candy at the doctor's or something.  Anyhow, I think having a bunch of people attempting to play in-character who normally wouldn't would be good, even if they suck at it, or don't try hard.
  • I agree, why reward people for making the game environment more immersive or helping people have fun? Only reward people for single-player behavior. In fact, have a rp tax that takes some microfraction of exp per say/emote/etc. to bring roleplaying in line with PvP as an EXP sink.
  • I used to play on a mud that had a system like this. The players were more into roleplay than your average Achaean, but the bonus (xp given once a day basically) was used frequently just used between friends (IE two people bonus each other every day) that said they usually roleplay anyway, just kind of makes the system moot.
  • edited August 2014
    Nim said:
    I agree, why reward people for making the game environment more immersive or helping people have fun? Only reward people for single-player behavior. In fact, have a rp tax that takes some microfraction of exp per say/emote/etc. to bring roleplaying in line with PvP as an EXP sink.
    Yeah that's absolutely not what I was saying or anything

Cities, Houses and Orgs already reward people whether they RP or PVP.  You get Favours for advancing or participating in events.  I believe that's the design that was intended. 

E: And also occasionally SoAs and awesome freebies like that

I don't know why there would have to be a second layer of rewards for RP specifically. 

• I've never seen someone rewarded for roleplaying in the decade I've been playing.  Not saying it hasn't happened, but I certainly haven't seen it.  I have seen people get favored, in-character, by gods for promoting their cause, or something like that, but not purely for the act of roleplaying, itself.

I mean, you're right.  You shouldn't have to reward people for roleplaying in a roleplaying game.  However, I think it's a bit time for a reality check if you think that most people actually treat Achaea like a roleplaying game, these days.  I'd like to see it go back that way.
  • @Bukariin: That fit of @Strata-esque grumpiness wasn't really aimed at anyone in particular. I just think it's really dumb how Achaea has mechanical character growth so systematically separated with having fun. It's archaic game design to be sure.
  • Problem with this, just as with designs, bardics, etc. etc. is that you have to have someone review what counts as 'good enough' to merit reward, and what can be brushed aside. Given the huge amount of people in Achaea, this is impractical in the extreme, at best.

Other MUDs I've played have a 'recommendation' system, where an excerpt of roleplaying scenes are submitted and rewards based on the quality of the snippet, but that's a thankless-ass job for the ones who get stuck reading a gajillion of those each week.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited August 2014
    As cool of an idea as this is,  and it is,  I would rather the admin review hours go towards planning new rp instead of judging quality of rp.  We don't all rp the same outgoing,  ritualistic fiends. 

Edit: otherwise, every time I blow someone up,  I would submit it for rp boon.
  • edited August 2014
    I would never, in any way, describe our playerbase as "huge", but your point stands.  I actually agree with Austere's assessment of where time should be spent, although I think it wouldn't be that hard for admins to notice things in passing, without really specifically putting time into it.

Either way, it was just a thought.  Getting a boon is on my bucket list, as is seeing Achaea return to being an RP game instead of a "pin the tail on the earring-wearing-raider" contest.  Was taking a shot at a two-for-one.

[on a different note:]

I'm a little stoked to see that the Mhaldorian auto-dislike crew has dwindled to 2-3 people, instead of the 5-8 I was used to six months ago.  Big improvement.
    edited August 2014
    Easiest way to get auto disliked is calling them out on it.  Hell,  I would do it for lolz if you called me out.  Not everyone is out to get you. 

Boons being a more frequent occurrence would be very cool,  and I think this is a good way to call divine attention to it,  but I would hate this being implemented in any way that was hard coded.  Favoritism is rampant in any player base,  and a lot of people get their rp focused on even though it is not always the best. I can count the number of times I have interacted with a divine, in the past year, on one hand. Yet we have players that spend time with divine daily that can't rp their way out of a wet paper bag.  Just because it isn't thrown in someone's face,  doesn't mean it is not rp.

Edit: wanted to clarify,  not saying I am good/bad at rp. Just an observation.
  • edited August 2014
    Strata said:

forumissue Ernam Why are you tagging me in a thread associated with people whom want to be rewarded for role-play but most of them never attempt in-character resolution before issuing?

Are you sure you want to file a hypocritical character assassination against this person?  If so, enter "Agree".

agree

Thank you for submitting your issue.  Please stand by for all of your friends to click "LOL".

Ernam said:
    Strata said:

forumissue Ernam Why are you tagging me in a thread associated with people whom want to be rewarded for role-play but most of them never attempt in-character resolution before issuing?

Are you sure you want to file a hypocritical character assassination against this person?  If so, enter "Agree".

agree

Thank you for submitting your issue.  Please stand by for all of your friends to click "LOL".

Oh that's me!  @Strata‌, consider your self "lol-ed"
  • edited August 2014
    I wish I would have dubbed the phrase "forumissue" a year ago when the whole "I got issued by so-and-so" victim card started becoming popular, right around the time Strata coined the phrase "Victim card" to, ironically, describe other people.

Looks like the thing to do now is publicly humiliate anyone who feels the need to ask the admin for help regarding OOC harassment and/or illegal PVP, because somehow that makes sense.

[edit]

Anyhow, since certain individuals who have no interest in actually discussing the subject of this thread have, predictably, turned it into yet another chance to insult me, I'm just going to abandon ship and go do something else.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Austere said:
    Ernam said:
    Strata said:

agree

Oh that's me!  @Strata‌, consider your self "lol-ed"
    I don't even know @Strata, I just found his post funny
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Expert troll by @Strata‌, ten points. 
  • I don't always disagree with another poster, but when I do, I prefer to flag their post for abuse

Stay classy, friends.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Bukariin said:
    I don't always disagree with another poster, but when I do, I prefer to flag their post for abuse

Stay classy, friends.

Don't forget to edit your posts even if you don't change any of the wording. It makes you appear more reserved.

• The rewards for roleplay are entry into the cool Orders, development of a reputation that leads to other roleplayers seeking you out (i.e. opportunities coming to you instead of you having to generate them), and, as Halos said, the fun that is derived directly from the roleplay itself. I wouldn't mind Clementius being around to throw boons at me willy-nilly (or even Sartan being a little less stingy with the TFs), but this kind of system is no bueno.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Roleplay is it's own reward. 

Plus let's be honest here - people already receive rewards for solid roleplay interactions (including PK ones) through divine favours, city and House events and related boons, etc. 

On top of all the issues already mentioned here, divine volunteers would be most interested and likely to observe/reward those players they have IC interactions with, leaving those cities/Houses and rogues without divine affiliation or an active divine at an extreme disadvantage.

If it were even possible to monitor the entire realm 24/7 for great instances of roleplay, would the volunteers really want to do that? And if they did, what would it be taking them away from (initiating cool things for existing orgs, responding to issues, creating customisations, doing stuff with their order, monitoring these forums, etc.). I think they have enough on their plates. 

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Bluef said:
    Roleplay is it's own reward. 

I agree that role-play is it's own reward. However, for the purposes of record keeping (a mechanical system that qualifies your aptitude for role-play), a system like this would be great for those whom only wish to have a recorded "looks good on paper" role-play history - likely so their frivolous issues appear to have more merit.

• This would just makes boons suck because Clementius isn't around to put his spin on them anymore.

• I'd boon you Silas
  • Mass of Um