Online D&D 5e - Tyranny of Dragons

edited August 2014 in The Universal Membrane

Hello everyone!

I am going to be hosting an online 5e D&D game to run the published campaign "Tyranny of Dragons", which will be officially launched alongside the new edition's Player's Handbook in about five days from now. 

But worry not, I have been in possession of my copies for a week already, prepping silently in the background!

We will be playing once every two weeks, on saturday afternoons (13:00-17:00 EST, so 18:00-22:00 GMT), and our starting session is hopefully planned for the 23rd of September.

We will be playing using Fantasy Grounds II, without voice-chat (so only with our keyboards!).

'Tyranny of Dragons' is a two-arc campaign set in the Forgotten Realms, who are now the assumed default detting for 5e, beginning with 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen', an aventure for characters from level 1-7, and concluding in the upcoming adventure 'Rise of Tiamat', whose date has yet to be announced.

For the moment I have two, maybe three players.  This leaves an opening for two more players.

ALSO: Do not fret at the mention of Fantasy Grounds II: I own the Ultimate License, which allows people using the free demo to connect to my games as if they were paid users. The only difference being that character data is saved server-side, instead of being imported locally.

For more info, visit our Obsidian Portal site:

https://dm-siduri-tyranny-of-dragons.obsidianportal.com/

Edit: Our group seems the be headed toward a very rogue-ish/fighter build. Players willing to fill the role of healer or caster are especially welcome.

Comments

• If any of you have rules-related questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message, too! I've run the system during my Tuesday-night home game for two sessions already (both using Basic rules, and then with the PHB additions), and I can really say that this system feels like an elegantly simplified update to 3e. Turns go by fast, encounters are exciting yet unobstrusive, character generation is pretty simple once you get the hang of it, etc.

• As long as I could get a copy of the rulebook somewhere, I wouldn't mind playing if the system doesn't make me want to stroke out.

• Siduri said:

We will be playing once every two weeks, on saturday afternoons (13:00-17:00 EST, so 18:00-22:00 GMT), and our starting session is hopefully planned for the 23rd of September.

23rd of September is a Tuesday.  Did you mean August?

• Oh, gods, yes! It's of August!

*blushes*

• I've got too many other things going on, and my work schedule isn't regular (I'll be at work on the 23rd, for example).

Best of luck with your game, and give us some updates here if you can.

• edited August 2014

I'll play a priest. 

And by priest i mean necromancer

And by necromancer i mean wizard

• Magic!

• I've played a lot of Wizards in 3e games in the past (hitting level 15+ and becoming god-tier is awesome), I think I'll be available at the times, but I'll let you know more as I know more.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• If @Trey and @Aegoth are serious about it, we might have a full party.

• No Twincasting Empowered Maximized Orbs of Force for me :(

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• edited August 2014
    I really love D&D, and I'm a little curious about Next(D&D 5), but I'm not familiar with fantasy grounds and I heavily prefer voice over text.

I'll consider it.

• I would LOVE to join in, but I doubt I'd be able to devote the kind of time and attention needed while looking after a toddler. I would love to hear about how it's going though!

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• You people and your crazy timezones :(

• If anyone should drop out, I'd be interested.

• WeiWei Monterey, California

I don't think I know anyone here, but if there's room for me, I am definitely interested. I prefer wizardy types, but I'm pretty much willing to play anything.

• I'm not a big fan of the system from what I've looked at. I may end up dropping. I'll keep looking at it and let you know.

• @Trey : Aww, no worries. then.@Jarrod would be next in line, though @Aegoth already seemed to be making a wizard. 

BTW, we have a campaign forum on the obsidian portal (and a game calendar) on top of the usual wiki features. Since not every players use the Achaea forums, it could be a healthy habit to visit them, if only to discuss the party!

• I am in for a saturday game, but the text-only aspect discourages me.

• It's text-only because I don't want to spend half of the game repeating what I said, or asking you to repeat because I didn't get your accent. My written English is top notch, but my speaking and comprehension is not developped enough.

• WeiWei Monterey, California

I like the text-only concept. I like Achaea for similar reasons.

• Could do text only + voice chat.

Use the text for game decisions, voice chat to laugh about the shenanigans our party is getting up to.

• Actually really excited about Jarrod's monk! As for the teamspeak, there are dedicated channels for this, so it could be possible. I just know that two other players won't be able to partake in the chat-fun. Which is also why I'm on the fence about it.

• i'm somewhat familiar with D&D dice and all that. but... i rarely play it because im a deaf in real life. since this may be my chance to play with keyboard only thing. :neutral_face: 

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • I just wanna say 'go you.' The group I've played DnD with for four years just started playing 5E and.......whoo. So much better. We started back to level 1, so it's certainly different anyway - but combat is so much cooler.

• @Berenene : Please, now I have to find another murderous plot <.<
    (Kidding, kidding. The system will take care of TPKing my group by itself)

• Sorry I wasn't around. I got the times mixed up and I had trouble DLing the client (still am actually)
  • It's okay, I thought you had dropped out or something, but no biggie.
    I'm sending you a PM to check if we can work on the client issue.

Also, we're discussing a change of schedule on the other forums, if you want to have a look at it, and vote too!