What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Probably need better leaders then, maybe

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Jacen said:

Idk, it just feels crappy to me. There's no room for the casual PvPer. Like, you can do this one thing to get some conflict, but you're gonna die multiple times for it. Makes it super hard for the lower-ability groups to climb into bigger conflict, because you'll just get griefed out of it.

The way writs currently work, a person can hold a writ for up to 75 days (like 72 RL hours). They can attack you as many times as they want to while they do so. Once they yield the writ to the order, your pain starts all over again. Now the order has likely hired on you, re-initiating the time period that someone (now a Mark) has to attempt to kill you. 

It's already been stated that defiling is not for the faint of heart (or the casual PVPer). if you're defiling, you will get conflict in return -- because you're the antagonist. Let's be honest though - dying multiple times is exactly what should happen for defiling a shrine. It's a huge disrespect to a God. You're not getting griefed - you're getting hit with retribution for your actions. 

As someone who has climbed into this bigger conflict more than once before, and done so all on her own (without the possibilty of an entire city or House coming to her defense), I'll disagree that it makes it hard for lower-ability groups or persons to enter the fray; as long as you're prepared for the possible consequences, it's a great way to gain some PVP experience. 

That said - I think what really needs fixing in the WRIT system is that the defiler has no idea who holds the writ, how much time is left on the writ, when the writ is yielded to the org, etc. It is really easy to miss the witnessing message in defiling/fighting spam too, so it would be nice if the changes that were promised (2 years ago) were implemented and shrines and such were reworked... But, to be fair, I think the Garden already has a lot on their plate right now! :)

Jacen said:

Its not that simple though. That's assuming you live in a perfect world where no one breaks the rules or griefs. What should the consequences of defiling be? 2 deaths per attempt? 5? Open PK to the Order for an hour? A day?

How can you ever expect to bring a new faction into the mix when its an uphill battle the whole way?

The consequences for defiling are noted above. It has nothing to do with the number of deaths. It is all about the time allotted for retribution/vindication. To pose a possible answer to your latter question: If a new faction isn't prepared to respond to the consequences of defiling, they may want to consider whether they're ready to be a faction at all. I'm not saying this because this is Hashan we're talking about either; I do feel like maybe this a great signpost for some of what needs to be addressed there though. That said, I doubt anyone in city leadership would disagree that Hashan is still a work in progress.

• Just allow the defiler to attack anyone who witnesses. Witnessing ought to be seen as declaring yourself open PK to the defiler. That this is not the case makes for shoddy and griefy mechanics

• Aegoth said:

Just allow the defiler to attack anyone who witnesses. Witnessing ought to be seen as declaring yourself open PK to the defiler. That this is not the case makes for shoddy and griefy mechanics

Are you joining the bandwagon of people who use "grief" incorrectly?

Please, understand what griefing actually is before you call something "griefy" because unless you're being permalocked, braziered into a basement and locked there for a few hours without any way of anybody getting to you, you haven't been griefed.

Also even THAT wasn't strictly griefing since the guy was willing to let me RP my way out.

• I've never been griefed in Achaea, but my definition is much, much higher than most everyone else's, I'm guessing.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Aegoth said:

Just allow the defiler to attack anyone who witnesses. Witnessing ought to be seen as declaring yourself open PK to the defiler. That this is not the case makes for shoddy and griefy mechanics

The problem I see with this is that it would mean that orders with most non-com members could never witness their shrines' defilement without loss of life/xp for doing so. That doesn't seem quite right as the writ system was established to allow orders to hire champions, etc. 

The way I view it is this: If someone witnesses me, that's an indication I should try again later. If they attack me later, because of the writ, I have every right to defend myself (just as they have every right to witness and defend the shrine if they choose to do so). 

Where writ/shrine PvP could get off track is when huge squads of attackers, some who are not even directly affiliated with the order, join in the "defense" and carrying out of the writ. This is why it seems important to know who holds a writ against you - otherwise every person in a 20-person party responding could claim, "I witnessed you." 

Likewise, when you're not sure who is legit holding a writ, it makes any kind of retaliation, especially hiring on those who seem like they are just jumping into the fight to "assist" their pal with the writ, difficult to sort out. 

• Sobriquet said:

Logged in for the first time in 2 weeks. Was reminded just how futile it is trying to take part in any type of group combat without wings and earrings. Logged out.

Come be my earringless, wingless buddy!

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front

Made significant progress on a quatrain. Satisfaction.

• Greys ran his annual ritual. Failed his captain's exam for the second time. Then ran a quiz and found how much most Targossians knew about the history of their city and Bloodsworn.

• I learned about the injustices of Forest defenses.

• Greys said:
    Greys ran his annual ritual. Failed his captain's exam for the second time. Then ran a quiz and found how much most Targossians knew about the history of their city and Bloodsworn.

Could have been worse. I could have found you after you passed Shastaan...

• MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Hasar said:
    Tillie said:
    Helped @Bluef and @Nylith write scrolls and flesh out advertising ideas for Taverns of Achaea clan. Went to a nice workshop held by @Madelyne on sculpting - which was humorously punctuated by a random assault by @Hasar.

Fulfilling day, indeed.

I was just doing some creative sculpting....idk why you guys hate it so much  :'(

You're not supposed to use the students as multimedia devices. :neutral_face: 

• Died to @Jhui. Twice. Im such a noob...  :(

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• 1. Extract primes...

2.  Hunt

3. extract primes

4. restocked shop

5. extract primes..

7. read some scrolls

8. extract primes

yep normal day

• Submitted a customisation request that I sincerely hope goes through and stepped down from the leadership of the Order of Thurisaz. Pretty excited to start the next chapter of Jhaeli's life.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• MazzingtonMazzington Detroit
    edited August 2014

Oh, I'm only playfully ribbing you. :wink: 

• I'm just unhappy because I had a really good comeback for the Jester line and you QQ'd before I could send it

• Gave a letter to Amarisse because... commissions yo. Fished, Went to a Senate meeting... no idea what else.

meh

• RuthRuth Singapore

Scratched my brains out trying to write up some Mhaldor-related stuff.

Coddled Oren a little by dumping a bucket full of smelly bait on her head.

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• EiredhelEiredhel California

Got contested. So this'll be fun. Haven't gotten roleplay Eiredhel being livid in months. 

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree