Eleusis vs Mhaldor, the Good and the Bad!

Comments

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Have to give props to @Rangor for the skirmishes and raids that I was involved in today, it was fun. Out of all the cities I probably do enjoy fighting Eleusis the most, when I can participate. 

If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• That's because I do dumb shit like charge guards with 5 dragons when there's 5 mhaldorians to defend and 3 that can start worldburn.

:(

I dunno why people follow me in raids. I'd never go on a raid with me.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited August 2014
    People don't raid with me because I keep charging guards with worldburn. I just don't lead raids anymore. I let @Xer kill people instead now

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Props to the propaganda. It's part of war in any normal situation. I think more of those types of things are needed to make the war more interesting. Sure there are plenty of fights to be  had on many different fronts. Exterms, guard wipes, tanks and such. But flying above the city and dumping hundreds of letters containing the same propaganda message. Graffiti in the enemy streets. Naga pulling Eleusians aside and getting info from them. Necromancer's preaching to Eleusians, and Eleusians doing the same to Mhaldorian corpses as they bury them to replenish the earth. That's the stuff that makes wars memorable.

• Kross said:

Props to the propaganda. It's part of war in any normal situation. I think more of those types of things are needed to make the war more interesting. Sure there are plenty of fights to be  had on many different fronts. Exterms, guard wipes, tanks and such. But flying above the city and dumping hundreds of letters containing the same propaganda message. Graffiti in the enemy streets. Naga pulling Eleusians aside and getting info from them. Necromancer's preaching to Eleusians, and Eleusians doing the same to Mhaldorian corpses as they bury them to replenish the earth. That's the stuff that makes wars memorable.

You left out attamepting to recruit mercenaries. Silly Eleusis. Get your own Serpentlords to sneak into Mhaldor for you.

• Kross said:

Props to the propaganda. It's part of war in any normal situation. I think more of those types of things are needed to make the war more interesting. Sure there are plenty of fights to be  had on many different fronts. Exterms, guard wipes, tanks and such. But flying above the city and dumping hundreds of letters containing the same propaganda message. Graffiti in the enemy streets. Naga pulling Eleusians aside and getting info from them. Necromancer's preaching to Eleusians, and Eleusians doing the same to Mhaldorian corpses as they bury them to replenish the earth. That's the stuff that makes wars memorable.

My thoughts exactly.

I've died a couple times dropping them off, but it's totally worth it for the reactions.

• This war has been interesting so far, I have enjoyed where I have participated. I'm still just learning combat. I'm sure it will all be more fun when there are some people I can for sure beat. Lately it's hunt, hunt, flee, flee... cause people who know I am squishy like to come after me for the easy xp. Really be nice to get dragon someday too!

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa

I don't know what I enjoy more, the war and interactions during combat, or reading this forum.

It's amazing to see people from both sides coming here and discussing the in-game events with such maturity.

Being chased by @Oren because Athelas managed a lucky maul, was the highlight of my combat during my last session. Being jumped by @Hasar, @Xinna, @Eloru and @Ayoxele‌ individually over the span of this war, and successfully getting away from all of them, has been exhilarating. I'm beginning to think there is a little hunt-athelas game going on in Mhaldor, and I have to admit @Rangor was right, when you stop caring about paying a visit to Lord Thoth, the game becomes a heck of a lot more fun!

My only regret is that I completely stink at combat, and I'm not learning fast enough.

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa

@Daeir There has to be some kind of risk involved, otherwise there would just be senseless conflict all the time. One of the things I find most entertaining, is trying to hunt for a few percent worth of XP, so that I can afford to have Athelas die a few times without losing a level.

I'd be happy to say zero XP loss during sanctioned raids, but that would lead to having sanctioned raids all the time, or unsanctioned raids, all the time.

• Die. Lose xp. Learn. Don't die next time. Fight. Fail to kill. Learn. Get kills next time. End result is more xp.

• Hasar said:

Die. Lose xp. Learn. Don't die next time. Fight. Fail to kill. Learn. Get kills next time. End result is more xp.

I must've died ~10 times in the past 24 hours?

I've not bashed barely any, and only participated in PK, and despite those numerous deaths, I'm equal or up in xp.

• Daeir said:

Now imagine how fun the game would be if you legitimately had to not worry about losing anything but time for participating in fights, and how awesome conflicts would get if XP loss was simply removed altogether. Reducing it by 2/3 already does wonders.

This dumb, your ideas are bad and you should feel bad. I've had to parrot it the same time over and over, but XP loss while it does cause an instant rush of anger, is better than no emotional connection at all.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Daeir said:

The risk should be in RP, rather than in mechanics, is all I'm saying.

Sorry, no, it's a bad idea.

Death must have some kind of tangible penalty for it to actually matter.

• People shouldn't care about death to enjoy the game better, but death needs a penalty that people will care about. Please resolve this inconsistency or explain why it should not be resolved before calling people dumb or ideas bad.

• On one hand I don't like losing xp, Daeir, so I can see where you are coming from. Though in a non-war situation I have really started liking the Mark system to get my xp back for me when people kill/attack me "just cause". I also find it easier for me to bash more for talisman pieces to sell/gold to turn into credits and less for the xp that goes along with it. 

• Daeir said:
    Bukariin said:
    Daeir said:

Again, that penalty can come through RP or some other mechanic that isn't essentially throwing away a crystallized amount of time.

Thank you for at least trying to be constructive with this, unlike Aepas, who just seems to shit the bed whenever I bring this up.

I do shit the bed, because I've already explained in multiple threads why this is a bad idea. Now all I have to do is say u dumb, and then we can just go back in time to look at all the other threads, because my opinion has not changed. Neither has yours apparently, but the difference is I don't shove my opinion in every ones face like a born again christian.

Coming through RP is a bad idea because... wait, death already comes through RP. Being killed by a scrub is embarrassing as I can attest to, while being killed by a high level combatant is meh, because well obviously you're going to die to high level combatants. Just as well, Aurora has chosen champions before when ashtan was raining on everyone's parade. bam, instant RP conflict along with xp loss. they go hand in hand. by besting someone or something, you have taken not only their pride, but a price of XP. It makes perfect sense and while you say it's a long dead mechanic, look at Dota. Kill someone, steal their gold. It's the same thing, and still a usable game mechanic.

There is a reason people get combat jitters. A lot of it has to do with personal loss in achaea. I've only ever gotten combat jitters in achaea, never battlefield, wow, or any other game that I don't lose anything for losing. Losing is a real thing, with real consequences here. And while you can indeed get lamed and ganked, if you remove XP, you remove the jitters, you remove just one more reason for tangible combat. I mean, at this point you're just giving away consolation prizes. "Sorry you suck and lost, but here's some RP for you"

No, eff that, eff consolation prizes. When I beat someone, I want to win the gold medal, and I want to make sure they know they didn't. That's what combat is about in it's most basic form, as well as in achaea. XP loss stays. Peace.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited August 2014
    Daeir said:
    Bukariin said:
    Daeir said:

There's no inherent risk to mechanical character development that way, which is what the current system does and is wildly unpopular because of it. I am willing to stake a very large amount of imaginary currency on the world literally exploding with immediate and relevant conflict if xp death loss was gone for PK deaths.

Thank you for at least trying to be constructive with this, unlike Aepas, who just seems to shit the bed whenever I bring this up.

You're welcome.

But you'd lose that very large pile of imaginary currency because there's already a system that trivializes death, and it's the Arena.  You don't see the Arenas all running events non-stop and people queuing up to spar because fighting in the Arena is fun but meaningless.  Relevant conflict is created by risk and reward, not merely reward.  XP loss is why you get that adrenaline rush when you're midway through a fight.  That's the tangible risk that you're proposing we remove from all PVP.

It's not a "wildly unpopular" system either.  Achaea, like all MMOs, is home to a large population of people who won't risk anything.  If risk is unpopular among these people, so what?  You might as well say that Serpents are wildly unpopular, or that RP is wildly unpopular. 

• edited August 2014

New rule! Dying drops the entire contents of your pack to be taken by the victor. Obviously this is the only way. :smiley: 

But seriously, not losing experience just undoes the progression of the tank and war system. Raid mechanics were fixed because of unfair experience loss. Don't undo it

I don't see a problem with adding some RP penalty for death, but you can't take away xp loss.

• Cresil said:

New rule! Dying drops the entire contents of your pack to be taken by the victor. Obviously this is the only way. :smiley: 

I miss hellmoo.

• Cresil said:

But seriously, not losing experience just undoes the progression of the tank and war system. Raid mechanics were fixed because of unfair experience loss. Don't undo it

I don't see a problem with adding some RP penalty for death, but you can't take away xp loss.

I honestly don't care about XP loss, as I stated before I'm at the point where I love very little now unless I die constantly. It mostly just annoys newbies although I don't see any reason for it other than to have @Mycen heartstop on her ship for hours again flooding deathsights.

Is there something that I'm not getting that makes XP loss extremely important to the game @Cresil?

• Achimrst said:

Is there something that I'm not getting that makes XP loss extremely important to the game @Cresil?

In Path of Exile, you go through Levels 1-30ish on Normal difficulty, in which there's no experience loss.  The next difficulty, you lose 5% of a level for a death, and finally by level 60 you're losing 10% per level.  But this won't ever cause you to lose a level, which I personally disagree with because it means I can just suicide myself repeatedly on bosses that I have no business attempting to kill.  After the tenth or twentieth death, it's not thrilling anymore.  I have nothing to lose.  I just have to flatten this dude and move on to the next thing, which is about the same time that I realize I'm grinding up a level just to be at <1% experience and avoid experience loss the next time I run up into Ultra Uber Chaos Demon #134521.

Would people like to not lose XP when they die?  Of course.  But would actually winning a fight mean anything without XP loss?  Maybe from an RP angle, but that only goes so far.  Even if I pretended to be happy for my character, I personally wouldn't be invested at all and probably migrate back to Path of Exile so I can grind out Ultra Uber Chaos Demon #134522. 

• Bukariin said:
    Achimrst said:

In Path of Exile, you go through Levels 1-30ish on Normal difficulty, in which there's no experience loss.  The next difficulty, you lose 5% of a level for a death, and finally by level 60 you're losing 10% per level.  But this won't ever cause you to lose a level, which I personally disagree with because it means I can just suicide myself repeatedly on bosses that I have no business attempting to kill.  After the tenth or twentieth death, it's not thrilling anymore.  I have nothing to lose.  I just have to flatten this dude and move on to the next thing, which is about the same time that I realize I'm grinding up a level just to be at <1% experience and avoid experience loss the next time I run up into Ultra Uber Chaos Demon #134521.

Would people like to not lose XP when they die?  Of course.  But would actually winning a fight mean anything without XP loss?  Maybe from an RP angle, but that only goes so far.  Even if I pretended to be happy for my character, I personally wouldn't be invested at all and probably migrate back to Path of Exile so I can grind out Ultra Uber Chaos Demon #134522. 

I just have to say WTF on the first part and remind people that I asked how XP loss was important to Achaea, the game we play.

You say in your second paragraph:

"But would actually winning a fight mean anything without XP loss?  Maybe from an RP angle, but that only goes so far."

So what you're trying to tell me is that killing another person in PK gives you an OOC/RL high because you know they lose XP?

If that is the case, and is the only reason why XP loss is important to Achaea, why do newbies and everyone else lose XP when we die to a creamy white goat? I am sure the goat doesn't get an OOC/RL high from murdering an 18 year old who wandered in and attacked it.