What's cooking?

Comments

• I love chocolate and coffee so my go to pre-workout:  

2 scoops chocolate whey (ON gold standard as well) 

1 cup chocolate almond milk

2 tbs. instant coffee

1 cup of ice

1 banana 

• Trey said:

Personally I'm a big fan of my go-to protein shake in the morning when I actually eat breakfast.

2 scoops of vanilla whey protein

2 cups of skim milk

1 cup of fruit of your choice  (I usually go with frozen triple-berry mix)

1/2 a banana (sometimes I eschew the cup of fruit and just do a whole banana)

Blend well, drink immediately.

I'm sure you do  ;) /immature double entendre 

Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    Kerria said:

Mine is not nearly as pretty as anyone elses.

Chili served in a biscuit cup.

I just turned over my cupcake pan and pressed the dough over the cups to form them.

topped with cheese and sourcream. (don't mind the foreman grill in the background, that was from lunch...)

I would jam these in my face.

• Trey said:

Personally I'm a big fan of my go-to protein shake in the morning when I actually eat breakfast.

2 scoops of vanilla whey protein

2 cups of skim milk

1 cup of fruit of your choice  (I usually go with frozen triple-berry mix)

1/2 a banana (sometimes I eschew the cup of fruit and just do a whole banana)

Blend well, drink immediately.

That's very close to my breakfast smoothie. I use:

* Giant scoop of plain whey protein

* almond milk

* half a banana

* 1/4-1/2 cup berries

* A few big handfuls of greens (baby kale or spinach are my favorite)

• Tuscan steak for the Dodgers game.

• Made some lemon pepper chicken and brown rice for dinner tonight. First step to eating healthy, and gonna pick up some exercise regimen too. I made enough for my lunch break tomorrow, too :D

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Kerria said:

Thing about being slightly tipsy and depressed, is that I think I can bake anything. And usually can...

Banana cream-cheese strawberry bread.

Also must eat it all by myself.

share? it looks glorious  o:)

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Today's lunch: Wild rice, with pepper, and a rare steak covered in lemon glaze for flavor. I'm okay with this, though it's kinda overkill for a lunch break. It's much better than the fast food crap I'd been eating until recently

• Update: Red meat is too heavy when you're on your feet and moving around for 7~ hours at a time in the blazing sun, holy shit

• OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods

I would first scrape off the meringue before jamming fully into my face. I am a huge fan of lemon tarts, which can only be topped by being lime tarts. I don't do meringue, however! (but they do look delicious!)

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness

less than traditional shepherds pie.

inside:

1lb ground beef,

1 can diced tomatoes with sauce,

1 zuchini

1 red bellpepper

1/2 bag frozen onion (small white onion)

various herbs of choice 

topside:

mashed potatoes

cheddar cheese

bacon pieces

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited August 2014

So after finally getting ahold of the right ingredients and getting myself in the right mindset and mood, I decided to make my first homemade pie today.

Now, granted, I didn't make the crust myself - I decided to take it one step at a time here, and my experience with dough in general is little (hoping to change that and start baking bread sometime). So while I bought pre-made dough, I cooked it and made everything else myself: A true-blue southern chocolate pie.

It took me some time to get the dough into place in the (disposable - this is a terrible idea by the way, I really want a glass one now) pie pan, and then I was faced with something I barely had an idea of what to do: crimping the dough. While I did my best, I didn't take a few things into account. While it didn't come out burnt, it was definitely special, and fell apart easily. As I was trying to get it all ready, including folding strips of tin foil over the crust (this is surprisingly harder than it sounds), some of the chocolate filling spilled out, and little things just kept going wrong as I was trying to prepare it. But, with dubious certainty, I put it into the oven and cooked it for the time said, and pulled it out to cool for a few hours. When cutting it at room temp (hint hint, you should fridge this pie, it makes this easier), it fell apart a bit as I worked, frustratingly looking so terrible that I didn't want to take pictures. I put a bit of whipped cream on the piece, looking at it with a frown.

But it was a fucking delicious slice of pie.

The rest is now in the fridge, and I have enough stuff to make at least one, possible two, more pies over the next several days/weeks. Now that I have an idea of what I'm doing, I hope to keep improving and to make it look as good as it tastes. Pictures may follow in time.

But hot damn, that is a great pie! I ate my slice while, of course, watching The Help. It was a good experience.

Recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/minnys-chocolate-pie

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KerriaKerria The Red Lioness

the gaily dressed pirate is my favourite.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Some awesome tips, thank you. I'm going to attempt some homemade crust one of these days. Also yeah, glass pie pan suddenly looking ten times more attractive. I'm going to see about finding one cheap somewhere before attempting pie #2. Also need whipped cream because... whoops we kinda ate it with other stuff.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Oh god now I want pie. Only have bread flour, but I might just have to suck it up...
  • Taraus said:

** Above recipe yields enough for two pie crusts, either two bottoms, or bottom and top layer for a fruit pie. Because who the fuck ever only makes one pie?

Apparently, me. One more moral failing on the list to correct, but at least it's more delicious than most of the rest.
  • Taraus said:
    Melodie said:

pie crust

More pie crust

I disagree on a few points. I much prefer ceramic to glass, lard to butter, and you didn't even mention using navy beans as a weight if you don't have pie weights, and getting some inexpensive crust covers!
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Rispok said:
    Taraus said:
    Melodie said:

pie crust

More pie crust

I prefer the visibility of glass, thanks to a string of testy ovens with fluctuating results, not even gonna touch lard vs. butter (I stand firm, I'm a butter girl :D ), I didn't suggest any methods of weighing down because the recipe she originally linked gave the tips for that! And pie crust covers, pffft.

I was, however, reminded of another technique for the butter - freezing it and grating it before you start to mix, in the event you wind up needing to use a fork (the  butter already broken down so radically helps in the mixing, to prevent going overboard with it).

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    edited September 2014
    The pie, because it is a pie, does not so much “slice” as volcanically erupt under the pressure of the knife, oozing its livid fluid everywhere; your own piece, when it comes, is a miniature apocalypse of broken pastry parts and heat-blitzed fruit. You demur, mumbling about having eaten too much cornbread. Someone’s aging, wild-eyed mother stares you down. “It’s pie,” she says. You are handed a fork. You start to peck at a morsel of fruit. Your plate is promptly whisked away again: Because it’s hot outside, you’re told, you’re supposed to enjoy your dessert “a la mode.” The pie is warm; the ice cream melts at once. You contemplate what now looks like a slice of jammy toast that has been soaked in milk for half a day and masticated by a dog. You work your fork into the only structure still intact, the woody, crenulated crust, beating and twisting this bumper of dough against each leverageable surface on your plate, trying to break it up. Your fork loses a prong. Abandoning all hope, you finally drive your broken-fork-with-giant-crust-piece through the mire of sloppy dough and heft the entire, dripping mass into your mouth. “Mmm,” someone says. “Isn’t it so great to have pie?”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/assessment/2011/06/pie.html

(edit: I enjoy pie and contrarian food columnists)

• edited September 2014
    Doing something new with chicken. Take chicken, dredge in egg, put in a mix of flour and french's fried onions- cheddar flavor

This stuff:
    http://www.frenchs.com/products/french-fried-onions/cheddar-french-fried-onions

bake for 20 minutes at 400(F)

it smells so good!

meh

This discussion has been closed.