Making RP more easily accessible and frequent.

First of all, I have to say that I really appreciate those of you who have taken time to thoughtfully respond to others in this forum on the topic of finding roleplay. It's also nice to see that more established characters also feel, at times, a bit "neglected," and have found ways to dive in to - in my opinion - one of the most worthwhile aspects of the game. I've played Achaea on-and-off since 2004, and every time I come back, it's because of a random RP encounter/very detailed world event that I remember fondly (-cough- that I gush about to my RL friends and occasionally harp back to even though they have no freaking clue what I am going on about -cough-).

In light of my own struggle to find role-play, I've been mulling over a few ideas to make writing with other players more accessible and consistent. It's really too bad that most of the threads I have read also seem to agree that RP may be hard to find, but once it is, it is so worth it; but I think we should try and band together as a player base to make it more common than not.

One issue I personally have is, in the act of looking consistently for writing buddies, the RP falls short after a really decent conversation. I don’t ever talk to that person again. My previous characters have excelled well because they’ve been in families - or had older players drag them around hunting into forever - but then again, the RP would be cut off at some point. Additionally, I am personally very intimidated by other characters and, while Tillie is rather laidback and enjoys approaching just about anyone, I have a fear (albeit, at times, I know rather stupid- but a fear nonetheless) accidentally annoying someone (i.e, finding a way to organically approach a character into a cool RP scenario without having it go over there head and just shrug it off).

I like what @Sarapis mentioned in one thread, the “Flagged for RP” thing. I know there are OOC clans about, but what if there was one OOC clan or channel dedicated to helping people find RP encounters? I know it may sound a little trite to have to plot out an encounter beforehand - especially if it’s more of a “subplot” than a huge plot - but in past RP communities I’ve been in, it’s worked really well to show people that there is a solid objective for their character to have, or a goal for their character to reach (either developmentally or, perhaps even with IG items or rewards). 

If such subplots were established via conversations like this, by all means, others could add combat encounters or hunting ventures to the mix - imbibing all that Achaea has to offer that other RP communities just can’t. Items could be created by players (clothing, armor, rings, food, etc) that create more context and depth to said subplot, too. Never know. Maybe little plots among characters or groups - and intertwined groups, not simply among one city or another - could evolve into a larger plot for the Gods to play with!

Another idea: this clan could also just be a way for others to let others know about things going on. Like, (Clan): “Hey, there seems to be something strange going down at X, X people can come if they aren’t busy.” Events that are already established, but bigger public events that - if people are looking for such things - people can enjoy. This of course, is strictly on a case-by-case basis, as I understand some events are simply cut from the entire world, and that’s completely wonderful and what not. Also, because sometimes it's easier to OOC-ly let people know without letting it cut into the RP experience IG. 

The clan could also use their news to help with character development or write out plot summaries and maybe even times/dates for these “subplot events” to happen. Not every one of these would have to be an event that calls for 15 characters (which is a pretty good turnout, I’d say!) at a time - maybe you only need 3-4 characters, and you need them to play a certain role.

And of course here’s this website that has some ideas said clan could jump off of: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/plots.htm.

Sorry for the long post. Just something I’ve been thinking about recently, as I want to keep playing, but have been at a bit of a loss lately what to do with myself, since writing/RP is a big part for me. 

I also wondered how many people would be interested in such a thing, and if people had other ideas to add/other ways to get the idea off the ground. By no means is what I said the only way in which to go about it, and I'm sure other folks have even better possibilities.

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

Can't say I am completely against the clan idea. However, by going about things in that way you'll certainly lose the natural and often unpredictable way in which conversations and interaction can often go, since you'll be predisposed to thinking in a certain way. 

In any case, the beauty of the idea is that anyone could start such a clan. Then it would simply be a matter of finding people who are also interested in setting things up that way.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I am hoping to see the RP flagging thing come into the game too. Rogues are the most detached players in the game. It is incredibly hard for us to find anyone to RP with. The typical response to that is, "Well, join a city!" But...

a) It can be about impossible to start up a conversation with anyone in a city about that possibility as a rogue unless you're metagaming the hell out of things.

b) It suggests that there is no room for someone to RP being a drifter (or in Bluef's case a wandering medicine woman)

There's also c) I don't want to join a city and I don't think I should have to in order to find quality RP interactions, but that's another can of worms and I'm not intending to open it here. In short: yes, I want a flagging system or a clan or something somewhere where people who really like to RP can find each other (and me)!.

• @Khairt opinion pls, help us.

• @HasarB)

@Shirszae, I agree with you one-hundred percent. I was very tentative about posting anything, just because I also love how organic and spontaneous role-playing experiences can be, particularly in Achaea.

Your thought helped me flesh out a bit more of this "clan" proposal, though - or an extension of a justification for such a thing. Acting and theatre is a huge part of my life, and if I've learned anything from my professors, it's that oftentimes, a person playing another persona's job is to create an experience that not only looks, but -feels- fresh and organic, even if it's the thousandth time one has rehearsed it. Not proposing anyone should hash out every word and piece of dialogue in a subplot before getting it together,but that establishing context to role-play, even if it's just a quick conversation with another character OOC could lead to even more variety of spontaneous role-play with other characters.

Example. @Bluef, say you posted a brief synopsis of your character, her objectives, goals, interests, background, etc, to this clan's news board. Someone sees this, also wants their character to be eventually gravely injured whilst travelling - and bam,you two can meet up. What if your character hated a certain city, or race? What if she had to deal with the fact that she actually didn't want to help said character, but ended up learning a bit about them in the end that made them friends - OR, she just let them bleed out, and created a new enemy (yay!). 

This is just a means by which people can avoid the inevitable impromptu roleplay that generally just consists of saying 'hello,' chatting a little bit about people, providing your character's shtick through conversation or interacting with something for a moment or two-- and then poof.It's gone,and you never really do anything else. And then it happens again, because you're in a constant cycle of meeting new characters. With this system,you could potentially pre-determine relationships and reasonings for characters to meetup and adventure or just chat.

Also a way to create small little fun events (i.e,thinking off the top of my head here, uh...getting trapped in a cave with folks. Starting a barfight. Treasure-hunting with an unlikely group of travelers - my DND-brain is taking over now...).

• I understand why you want to take it to the game, but... I would honestly suggest putting something up in the Scarlattan Theatre; try and create a space where people can discuss that kind of thing and perhaps approach 'set scenes' like you suggest at the end of your post with a) enough time to see it through, and b) some minor expectation of what the general mood/idea of the scene will be, so they can bring their a-game. I'm not a huge fan of OOC clans in general, and anything you set up for a specific purpose inevitably degenerates into a casual chat clan eventually (I've seen it happen dozens of times, for everything from coding help to bad guys planning events together starting ideas).

• The thing I miss the most is the chatter on a city channel. Rogues miss out on all of that. What about an IC channel for people not in any city at all? Hearing things on it makes as much sense as hearing talk from a city channel. But instead of normal "talk" it could be "thoughts"

rougechat Here I am at the north shore of Green Lake and I still don't know why those bandits ran this way.

(roguechat): Bluef thinks "I keep hearing rumors of trouble by Green Lake. I think I'll go see if there is any trouble."

• I love the idea of (Rogues): as a regular channel (not a clan). 

Then all rogues could communicate, and even defend or roleplay together if they wanted. For example, I've always wanted to see the Rhodestrian Settlement become a the rogue hang out (which is pretty much what it was designed to be IC - a place for mercenaries, bandits, and the like).

I know that inevitably someone will say - that's what clans are for, but there are already a few clans like this (the Cityless Rogues and Wanderers is probably the biggest), and they're not really used for this purpose (generally they become driven by whatever ideology or "mission" the owner possesses), so I think it would be pretty neat to have a fully IC channel for rogues only that isn't driven by any one outside influence. 

I also still like the RP flag thing -- I think using out of game means for finding RP such as the forums would break immersion much more than a flag system. I mean, it isn't like anyone goes OMG, Sparwho is such a break in immersion! Characters from all backgrounds and walks of life find each other there. If it was done right, Rpwho could do the same thing. 

• Anedhel said:

I understand why you want to take it to the game, but... I would honestly suggest putting something up in the Scarlattan Theatre; try and create a space where people can discuss that kind of thing and perhaps approach 'set scenes' like you suggest at the end of your post with a) enough time to see it through, and b) some minor expectation of what the general mood/idea of the scene will be, so they can bring their a-game. I'm not a huge fan of OOC clans in general, and anything you set up for a specific purpose inevitably degenerates into a casual chat clan eventually (I've seen it happen dozens of times, for everything from coding help to bad guys planning events together starting ideas).

This is my thinking on it too. A clan will inevitably exclude someone or someones, while everyone has access to the Scarlattan Theatre if they choose to visit the forums. It also helps keep OOC and IC separated. I'd love to see the Theatre used more for this purpose and brought it up during the discussion surrounding the 'RP Flag'. 

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

I admit the main draw from having this as a clan, either exclusively, or beside a main thread on the Scarlattan subforum, is the ability to not have to minimize the game, or otherwise stop playing while looking for someone. Also, people may feel deterred from posting on forums if what they are looking for are relatively simple in the grand scheme of things. 

Yes, most ooc clan tend to degenerate, but that is about as much true with threads and their tendency to be derailed either permanently or temporarily. 

Thats how I see it, at least.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Hasar said:
    Step 1: Cease being a heathen.  :)

Beat me to it. If you want quality roleplay, go get yourself branded in Mhaldor. It's one of the first things I was told in Achaea - for roleplay to the max, be in Mhaldor.

• Stuneree said:

Hasar said:
    Step 1: Cease being a heathen.  :)

Beat me to it. If you want quality roleplay, go get yourself branded in Mhaldor. It's one of the first things I was told in Achaea - for roleplay to the max, be in Mhaldor.

OOCly, I've contemplated it numerous times- mostly because I've played within every other city except Mhaldor - and I wonder how it would shape my Achaea experience. If I did, I don't much like the idea of creating an alt; and I would like to contemplate Tillie's personal reasoning for doing so. She is a bit of a 'drifter' - not necessarily in the rogue sense, but more in the spiritual sense - and Art (as well as the awesomely wonderful people I've met via the Virtuosi) is the only drive she really has right now. 

At the same time, I don't think Mhaldor is the only place to find roleplay, and that reason alone simply wouldn't be enough for me to bring Tillie over. You can roleplay with anyone, anywhere - and I'm sure I can still find ways to interact with those awesome Mhaldorians (as unpleasant as our encounters may sometimes be, still oodles of fun ;D). 

@Mathonwy, I really like the way you worded it. Your plan of action I think fits the world of Achaea better, and perhaps my mindset is still stuck in the way other communities I've been on recently have done it. Though, I still feel like something that would allow people to gain access to one another quicker would be nice- or at least, a way to let people know who they can adventure out and approach. One could spend hours trying their darndest to seek out others and still get no bites. It's bound to be a little disheartening, and I'm thinking especially to newcomers who may just be looking to find the in-depth roleplay that Achaea does provide. Also, for people who only have a few hours at a time to play and play for those experiences. -shrug- I don't know.

Mathonwy said:

I don't like thinking about stuff like this as 'subplots,' though. There are things that happen to your character, and the ways in which your character reacts to those things. There's a continuity of experience that factors into who your character is, what your character does; don't bracket the experiences apart from each other. Use the momentum from one interaction with someone to factor into another interaction with another person.

Yeah. 'Subplots' is a little harsh a term, isn't it? Using that more from a writer's perspective, and not more of a developmental perspective. Also just sectioned this out because I liked the way you described it. Achaea does do role-play a different way. And I loves it.

• If Sarapis was serious about implementing an RP Flag (and I believe he was), then I think that will do a lot to help newbies find roleplaying opportunities and may be enough for rogues to find opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise receive outside of an organisation.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014

I can't tell you the number of times I've hopped on an existing alt and done the whole "talk to everyone" thing only to find that it feels terribly forced and unnatural. Similarly, I've often found that it creates an odd tension because people really aren't interested in talking to people they don't know or have existing relationships with. Whoever these forthcoming people you know are, I need names so I can barrage them with questions! 

J/k. But in all seriousness, my experience has really been the opposite: People in Achaea tend to be very closed off, distrustful of newcomers, and usually more willing to roleplay with those they're familiar and comfortable with. I think RP WHO would open up a neat avenue for people to move out of their comfort zones more.

I think the momentum mentioned here is also incredibly difficult to build up for many players. My experience with successful roleplay has been more like you have one good interaction and then the person disappears or the next time you encounter them they act like that experience didn't happen. It can become pretty frustrating. If there was a rogue or rp channel or outlet system in-game, it might make it easier to maintain those interactions and build up that momentum. 

Another point is that your character in Achaea is not always what you make of it. Gods forbid you get on someone's bad side in Achaea because you can soon find out how quickly you lose control of who and what your character is known to be about. It is unbelievably easy to become locked out of most communities based on nothing but rumour and popular opinion (rather than actual interactions). Having an avenue to try to re-build some of your game reputation, such as RP WHO, would be great because assumptions based on disinformation are truly blocking agents to many potential interactions in Achaea.  

Just a side note to this since it's been brought up a couple of times:

Rogue to me does not mean that I am a solo-flying persona who doesn't want anything to do with others or their organizations -- apart from cities and Houses, of course. Even then, I think rogues as a whole generally tinker with joining one thing or another from time to time, although the opportunity for doing so isn't as great as it once was. The freedom of belonging to player-run clans as a rogue is actually one of the really wonderful things about being a rogue, although there are so few of them doing anything that isn't factionalized at this time. 

I'm personally not a fan of the factions in Achaea right now. For all the fun roleplay they spur for those within the player-run orgs, they are in many ways just as suffocating to roleplay for those outside them. Whether it's the restrictions placed on what someone must do to join an organization (pay to switch class, for example) or who you can have a conversation with once you're a member, Achaea's player-run orgs just feel very limiting to me right now. 

Anyway, this is all to say that I wish there was some way beyond walking up to someone and saying, "Hi, tell me about yourself." to initiate roleplay because that's not for everyone or their character (I can't see Bluef doing it like..ever). 

• @Bluef's last statement has merit, but I feel the same way about the proposed 'RP Flag' as she does about the 'talk to everyone' thing - To me it feels stilted and unnatural, inorganic if you will.

• edited August 2014

I get plenty of RP as a rogue, but I deliberately go out and talk to people to find it. It also helps that I was pretty well established before going rogue, so.

Also Nim is entirely right. Nell's orgs/relations have never 100% defined her, and even when she was a Mojushai or a Paladin in the Diaspora, those were aspects of her - roles she played, and jobs she filled, but she was still Nellaundra. They changed her and influenced her, but nothing ever became an absolute definition of what she is. Her mind and psychosis do that, not what costume she happens to be wearing that day.

Though, admittedly, most personal RP is just kind of character masturbatory at times - but tempering a bad RPer with an org just makes him/her a bad RPer in an org.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Daeir said:

My brain hurts. This is a forced RP game. How do issues like these happen? Everyone is supposed to be IC unless explicitly said otherwise. If you do end up annoying someone then whatever, you've now got a relationship with that person, even if it isn't a particularly amiable one.

You -have- to be affiliated with something, whether that affiliation is the dichotomy that your character holds towards various events in the world, or it is a particular organization you belong to. A completely neutral, unaffiliated rogue is essentially a blank slate, with nothing that could potentially suggest any sort of character inclination beyond their appearance alone. Other people have titles, uniforms, positions, responsibilities essentially that help denote who they are as a character and where they stand.

1. Sarapis has already stated (here: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/2294/flagging-as-ready-to-roleplay/p3) that Achaea is not a roleplay-mandated environment. 

2. For some socially limited people (read social awkward, anxious, etc.), it is a big deal to annoy someone (or feel as though you are annoying someone) like this. It would make it a lot easier for them and others (newbies, rogues, etc.) if there were a better way to connect with people interested in roleplay, especially apart from player-run organizations. 

3. Bluef has been a rogue for ages and I don't think anyone would call her a blank slate. 

4. Titles and uniforms are not indicative of anything in and of themselves. In fact, I smirk each time I see someone new with the title "Deaconess" or the like running around Sapience because, after a while, the out-group homogenity effect is actually the opposite of denoting who any individual character is and what they stand for (apart from the greater whole of their faction). 

• Daeir said:
    1. He's wrong. You play the game enough to know that's the case. Where (beyond combat-oriented affairs) is character conduct considered OOC before IC? Nowhere, that's what. It's mandated by the playerbase, if nothing else. I don't see how anyone can assert anything to the contrary. Aardwolf is not "roleplay-mandated" and it's a totally different kettle of fish. See HELP INSANITY.

2. They will always have issues playing a social game, in that case. I have a degree in psychology with mixed sociological approaches and understand your approach - but I still don't believe that this flag will do all that much in that regard. I am not opposed to it being added at all, but it is not going to be the pancaea fix-all that I think a lot of people assume it will be.

3. That is because you have years of existing character development cultivated by extensive participation in organizations - the Spirit Walkers, the clan you run, Hashan, whatever. I'm speaking in the context of a new player entering the game here - if they do not involve themselves in the world at large, then it will be difficult for other players to engage with them. I believe that organizations in whatever form are the principle method of creating this engagement with the world in new players. Simply throwing an RP flag into the game and saying "activate this if you want to broadcast you are roleplaying" does largely nothing in a world where people are expected to roleplay almost constantly anyway.

4. See the latter half of what I mentioned above. Titles/uniforms are merely ways of displaying this engagement in a way that is easily accessible to other players.

I think that in the long term, the best way to ease new players into RP is to give them strong cultural elements to latch on to. This is why I feel greater factionalization is good for the game - it permits these very strong identities to arise that help consolidate new people into the realm, and it gives them a specific avenue to pursue the direction that they want to take their character. Rogue/neutral players have to create these identities entirely for themselves, which is quite difficult to do.

I've lost the overarching point I was trying to make in the process of writing this, but basically, things don't be like they are, but they do.

Incoming wall of text -- but first I just want to say - I'm enjoying this exchange, Daeir. Thanks for the conversation! 

1. I think Sarapis knows his own game pretty well, actually. There are definitely people who (especially after playing the game now for 10+ years) log in out of habit or due to social ties to others. If this wasn't the case, there would probably not be numerous complaints here on forums about how some people use Achaea as a chat room. Personally, I know a lot of people who log in daily just to catch up on things, stay connected to friends they've made here, and grind some hunting out. Achaea for them is purely social and cathartic, which 'm sure someone with your Psychology background can understand. 

I would argue that in cities and Houses there may be some mandated RP, but you can't force someone to participate in anything -- Force people to attend a sermon or rite (they're probably AFK), make players do certain tasks within a given time frame (they may do them all right before the deadline), etc. Being busy or occupied is not the same thing as being engaged after all. As a seasoned instructor with more than 10 years in the college classroom, I know this to be true; Engagement requires a psychological investment. You can't force anyone's character to incorporate or internalize (possess a willingness, desire, need, or compulsion to participate and be successful in) roleplay in Achaea. 

People who are fully engaged in roleplay, such as yourself, may have trouble seeing that side of things but it definitely exists in Achaea. It is a wholly different thing than what's noted in HELP INSANITY because while they may not be roleplaying actively they aren't necessarily acting out of character all the time either; they're just having fun their own way and that does add to what Sarapis called the "net fun" of everyone else. 

2. In this way, I agree with the point you make: RP WHO wouldn't fix everything for everyone, but it may help some people who are socially awkward, anxious or for other reasons have fallen out of sync with roleplay in Achaea. Imagine coming back after being away for RL years and not knowing anyone or where to start again in Achaea. RP WHO would be an easy, quick way to engage in some fun roleplay without making the commitment to stick around and play in a specific House or City. It might even lead to a player making some changes in their IC life and/or renewing their commitment to an organization or its ideals. The possibilities for good outweigh the potential negatives for me.

3. Perception definitely isn't reality! The funny thing is that Bluef really doesn't have years of existing character development cultivated by extensive participation in organizations. I've been playing for 11 years now (start of 12th year coming up, OMW) and during that time Bluef has briefly belonged to four houses. The lengthiest amount of time spent in one would be the Spirit Walkers, and in the grand scheme of my total game play that really wasn't that long of a time (2 years out of 11). I would put her character immersion and development via major orgs at somewhere around 30% (4 out of the 11 years). For the remaining 70% of the time she's been a rogue doing her own thing. 

I've invested a lot in her as this persona that doesn't necessarily need organizations to survive and thrive. The Curia isn't even a great example of how my participation in an organization has "shaped" Bluef because a) to a large extent that organization's workings are unknown to those outside it and b) the Curia is the anti-organization in many ways (characters exist and engage at their own pace). That said, I try really hard to always be "on" in terms of my readiness to roleplay being a shamaness and what that lifestyle means to Bluef (ie. helping and healing others), so obviously I think making this venue of character expression and development apart from orgs more open to others via the proposed systems would be awesome. 

4. I think most everyone could identify the beliefs and goals of someone wearing a German SS uniform from World War II. But that doesn't mean that they know the person behind the uniform -- or that the person in the uniform necessarily understands or even agrees with their own perceived identity as a part of that greater whole. If anything, the individual identity is weakened/diminished because of a strong, unified factional identity. It will naturally become more difficult for anyone to stand out (your own use of the word consolidate hints at that), whereas rogues all stand out as individuals with unique stories, etc.. With greater opportunities for roleplay interactions outside of main factions though, the ability for people to be more than what their city is known for (their individual stories) can emerge. 

• The RPI I used to play used to require RP with everyone you ever saw. So if you tried to walk down a busy street in the shopping area, with no alternate routes, it could take hours, literally. On the other hand, there was a convention that certain locations were RP magnets. If you really wanted RP, go to a particular tavern or stand just outside a certain city gate. Anyone who hung around in those areas was saying they wanted RP. 

The idea with gates might not work in Achaea, but there is a Tavern that anyone can use.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Tisel said:

The RPI I used to play used to require RP with everyone you ever saw. So if you tried to walk down a busy street in the shopping area, with no alternate routes, it could take hours, literally. On the other hand, there was a convention that certain locations were RP magnets. If you really wanted RP, go to a particular tavern or stand just outside a certain city gate. Anyone who hung around in those areas was saying they wanted RP. 

The idea with gates might not work in Achaea, but there is a Tavern that anyone can use.

Unfortunately, taverns and bars have a sort of a negative stigma in Achaea (other than Fire & Spice, which I think is used as a general meeting place), which is associated with the numerous people who use them either to pick up lolsexalts or for actual dogging. 

• If there was a concerted effort to "take back the taverns," then they'd make an excellent social convention for finding random roleplay.

• I like Jhaeli's idea a lot. It would be great to see a concerted effort on the part of the community as a whole to do this, if its desirable. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into the Brass Lantern or the pub in Cyrene and felt as though it would be better if I just walked around without my mindseye up. 

• Hey, in the DND world, Taverns were the boss.

....Depends on the DM, but still.

I agree with a concerted effort to make more public areas more RP-friendly. Perhaps I'll throw Tillie into some roadside Inns or Taverns to work on her writing/choreography just to see if she gets any bites.

Let'sdo it, yo. :D

• NylithNylith Beaverton, OR
    Where did I miss taverns getting such a bad reputation... Either way if someone wants to take the taverns back let me know I'm done for some legit rp. I'll even do it on my un infamous character who I think is fun though no one in my house will seem to talk to me ;)

• Wait, that actually functioned before?