Learning Languages for RP

I know there have been some discussions about language learning on the forums, but I wanted to get people's thoughts on this concept of Achaea.

Personally, I don't use different languages all that often in regular practice, but strictly from a role playing standpoint, I continue to learn them. I like to have my character place importance in continually gaining knowledge, and obviously language learning falls into this category. I'm curious if anyone else likes to pursue this, or if I'm just crazy in wanting to do this.

Currently I am fluent in 6 languages and pursuing my 7th.

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

I once started learning human for RP-related lessons, but never really followed on it. But yeah, you are not completely alone. I actually wish people employed racial languages more often. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!

Tohran is currently learning Atavian for his daughter, and he learned Sireni for a former fiance. Not exactly a language he'd use, but it's good for the RP relationships.

• MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    Tohran said:

Tohran is currently learning Atavian for his daughter, and he learned Sireni for a former fiance. Not exactly a language he'd use, but it's good for the RP relationships.

Aye. I once learned Sireni for a lady friend and RP reasons. That was the first language I learned right after the language update was released, and I've been hooked ever since. Yet, sometimes I feel silly pouring 27k gold into each language lesson!

• Masaryk said:
    Tohran said:

Aye. I once learned Sireni for a lady friend and RP reasons. That was the first language I learned right after the language update was released, and I've been hooked ever since. Yet, sometimes I feel silly pouring 27k gold into each language lesson!

Well to get cheaper credits to sell for gold, I know a guy who's paying people 100cr per 5 globes they buy him.

• edited July 2014

Anedhel speaks Tsol'aa with his closest friends!

(And is learning Atavian, which has proven to be fun(ny))

• Kyriella learned Tsol'aa because it is her mother's race/language-- it's something special that they share now, and was a way of reconnecting with the childhood she had lost.

• Sid is learning many languages, but not naming which. Mostly to eavesdrop :grinning: 

• I enjoy languages in Achaea. They're a neat roleplay device that you can easily use to develop your character. The expense for learning several languages adds prestige to being multi-lingual as well (on top of the exclusivity of languages like Vertani).

Big fan.

• And for added fun fluency comes with literacy as well. Kei's written several messages in racial languages for any number of other reasons (respect, camaraderie, minor security, to be annoying, etc.).

Wish I hadn't been dormant for Vertani, though :<

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
    edited August 2014
    Kei said:
    And for added fun fluency comes with literacy as well. Kei's written several messages in racial languages for any number of other reasons (respect, camaraderie, minor security, to be annoying, etc.).

Wish I hadn't been dormant for Vertani, though :<

Yeah. I really wish I wasn't dormant during the whole Vertani thing. Would really love to learn that language. Who knows, maybe they will come back?

Silas said:

I enjoy languages in Achaea. They're a neat roleplay device that you can easily use to develop your character. The expense for learning several languages adds prestige to being multi-lingual as well (on top of the exclusivity of languages like Vertani).

Big fan.

I completely agree. Secretly I've always wondered if there was an honours line for someone if they learned all the basic (playable) racial languages (eh @Sarapis‌?).

• Nobody will ever know. The cost to learn all available languages has been documented before and is genuinely astronomical.

(This is a good thing.)

Very true. They could always add something like "1 free language lesson" in the globes though. Who knows!

• I've learnt a few languages, primarily for previous races I've been and reincarnated from, but I gave up years and years ago because bashing up the gold was too much effort back then. Nowadays the major thing stopping me from finishing off some is the travel required to reach the language tutors.

Not to mention that I'd probably just use my Gem of Hasty Transmutation to reincarnate if I had a particular need to speak a certain racial language now.

• Bluef speaks 5 languages and is currently learning the last 2 just because she is obsessed with knowledge. That said, at 27,000 gold sovereigns a lesson her impetus for doing so had waned over time until...

Idea #   : 17
    Filed by : Bluef.
    Filed on : 2014/04/03 18:45:53
    Approved : YES
    Idea text:
    New honours line for mastering all the basic Achaean languages and then using these languages to 
    complete a quest involving all the language teachers (Dragon, Tsol'aa, Xorani, Rajamalan, Mhun, 
    Horkvali, Human, Satyri, Atavian, Sireni, Grook, Troll, etc. if I missed any).

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!

I am starting to reconsider learning those languages  :|

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa

I want to become a language teacher! Charging 1000gp per lesson is already good income. Getting 3000 is daylight robbery, while 9000 is plain ridiculous.

Yes, I'm of the opinion that there really should be some kind of cap on the gold cost of a language. Learning any language your character does not know by default, is already just for RP reasons. Having to pay more in game for learning a language, than you would pay for an RL university study, makes no sense to me.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014

I have to admit, the break down of costs (which I think I'd completely ignored before because RP <3) is pretty terrible. It creates a clear learning disparity between the haves and have nots.

If you aren't bashing consistently to earn that much gold each day or buying credits and converting them to gold, the cost is just exorbitant. I'm a dragon and I bash for a few hours everyday and I can tell you that it is not in my budget either due to the fact that there are so many other gold sinks I have to contend with already (ship costs, vial upkeep, ink upkeep, crafting costs, etc.) in addition to the costs of RPing support for your kids (buying them stuff for their gold sinks) and the like (fees to clans, fees to groups like the PoM so you can even enjoy sailing, etc.).

Sena inspired me to do some math on this. I figured out that with two racial languages left to learn, it will cost me something like 2,808,000. Language perfection or a new windcutter with 300,000 gold to spare? *sigh* Now I want to be a language teacher too (ooh, what if when you became transcendent in all languages you got to do that and could set your own price for language learning?). 

• Eph has learned four languages, and will learn a fifth (Atavian, his original race,) very slowly once I can be bothered to bash/quest up the gold/travel to the tutor.

81,000 gold per lesson is going to be painful, and it's definitely the last one I'm bothering to learn unless something changes to the system. 

• Yeah, I had a good fight about it, like others before me. But everyone seemed to be okay with the soft cap on learning, also known as being impossible to do. The actual credit/gold cost to learn all languages to fluent was like 4 RL houses or something.

It's perfectly logical except that it means no mortal can ever become omnifluent. But since Achaea's racial languages are just a nametag and there's no system that caters to innate talent (like an affinity for languages), it'd just be a trophy.

There was a suggestion for traits to reduce learning cost or something, but that should probably be done in a pre-character creation phase. Allocate points to intellect, magic, fortitude, agility, etc. 

Maybe in a different MUD.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited August 2014
    Xith said:

Yeah, I had a good fight about it, like others before me. But everyone seemed to be okay with the soft cap on learning, also known as being impossible to do. The actual credit/gold cost to learn all languages to fluent was like 4 RL houses or something.

It's perfectly logical except that it means no mortal can ever become omnifluent. But since Achaea's racial languages are just a nametag and there's no system that caters to innate talent (like an affinity for languages), it'd just be a trophy.

There was a suggestion for traits to reduce learning cost or something, but that should probably be done in a pre-character creation phase. Allocate points to intellect, magic, fortitude, agility, etc. 

Maybe in a different MUD.

Maybe now that they approved creation of an honours line for language learning they'll address the exorbitant costs. We may not see any change straightaway obviously because they have quite a bit on their plates atm, but the ability to learn every language and then complete a cool quest seems like it would only be do-able if learning every language was made a little more possible too.

• Remember, in Achaea, "no" always means "not for a few years after more people have asked".
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I don't know why this didn't get brought up when we were discussing gold sinks. I mean, language learning is already a gold sink but it's not one that is taken advantage of as much as it could be if the costs were simply lowered somewhat. 
  • I can see how lowering the cost of language skills would increase the use of language as an RP tool, which would in turn increase the number of people learning second/third/fourth languages.
  • @Sarapis @Silas New races would be the bee's knees. I want Tritons, personally (yes I'm aware they hate everyone, and I'm prepared to RP as such.)