Roleplaying question

Hi! I had a specific question about roleplaying, but I wasn't certain which thread to post in. I hope this is the correct one. My question is: What is everyone's opinion on characters who are contemptible? I feel like it would incredibly interesting to play one (not that my char is one or trying to be one), but would the rest of the community see this as an asset for the variety of roleplaying personas? Or a liability for having someone driving away potential players who don't want to deal with those kinds of people? Just curious...

Best Answers

Answers

• Alright so my next question is how do you achieve this? I try to think about all of the antagonists from various movies, tv shows, books, etc. that people actually liked and rooted for, but the more I think about it... Would you like those people if you had to be around them? Or can you only appreciate their character development as an observer?

• Those are some good questions to ask. I just wanted to pick yer brains on the subject. I've been thinking about it for quite some time and wanted to get a variety of input from different people.

• Ask Bonko.

• Very much what Jurixe said. Is it possible to be a likable ***hole was kind of what I was getting at. Not that that's what I'm going for with this character, but just wondering if it's even possible.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    edited August 2014
    Be prepared for some disappointment. Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't take much by way of abrasion, maybe just a conversation or two, to cause even our best players to paint you and your character as abrasive, generally. They won't be content to feel that way privately, either.
  • Hey guys, is it possible to be a likable asshole?

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    edited August 2014

Trey said:

Hey guys, is it possible to be a likable asshole?

I guess it depends on who you're angling to be liked by and whether you're punching up or down.  

Edit: And nobody can be as funny as Trey without being prepossessing. 

• Strategic use of custom emotes gives dramatic weight to your says.

Comparison:

Keown says to you, "You suck."

versus...

Keown smirks at you, his scorn readily apparent.

Keown says to you, "You suck."

• To add to Synbios' post, the more clearly you show that you're roleplaying by using emotes, expressiveness, poses, etc., the more others will understand that you're just playing an asshole ICly, not OOCly, which will be your biggest challenge at first likely.

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• I play Nell as a fairly abrasive asshole as a whole, but people tend to come to me anyway. Mainly because the good outweighs the bad on that front - she may be an asshole but she's a competent asshole. Very few people actually enjoy talking to her ICly, I think, while I make it pretty clear on OOC clans and stuff that she and I are not the same person. If you want to be an asshole but still get people talking to you, hold things that they want - in Nell's case, it's a case of being able to get what people want and having few (no) morals about how she goes about it. And being a pretty decent paying customer on top of that - she always overpays and gives tips as well.