Achaea in the Atlantic

2»

Comments

• MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains

Loved the article. It brings up a great point which I have always been curious about, particularly with players that have played for over 10 years like myself.

If you went dormant, what brought you back and what keeps you here?

I was really dormant for about 5 years. The easy answer for me coming back is that some friends started getting back into it so naturally I followed because I wanted to play with friends. But honestly the world is so diverse and more intense than before, it's really impossible for me to go dormant again. World events are now a pretty regular thing, which always encourages me to play more in the hopes that I might help be a part of history. There are just so many things going on now compared to the early years (though I still loved the early years, don't get me wrong).

• MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains

Oh, and also, I REALLY want to know who wrote it. Guess I should start thumbing through the house active member list now...lol.

• I think most of us who either don't have any idea, or think we have a good guess are really curious.  I can't promise the forums won't lynch you if you're able to verify a name, but really, her real life name is out there, her char is dormant as dormant can be, and most people seem to think the only reason she didn't use names was because she saw it as a better literary device, so if you dare, post away!  

• Jules said:

I think most of us who either don't have any idea, or think we have a good guess are really curious.  I can't promise the forums won't lynch you if you're able to verify a name, but really, her real life name is out there, her char is dormant as dormant can be, and most people seem to think the only reason she didn't use names was because she saw it as a better literary device, so if you dare, post away!  

Letting her know this thread exists might be cool, but if she wants it to remain anonymous, that's really her call.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

I've seen the author's character running around in Achaea again these last few days. If Laura Hall is open to revealing the character tied to the article, and receiving messages in-game about it from everyone else, that announcement should be made by her hands.
  • edited July 2014

If she cared about Achaea in any sense other than as a literary device, she'd no doubt have graced us with her presence by now.  The idea that she's worried about her char's secret identity is very likely laughable.  Like, lose your breath laughing laughable.  But we're an odd group, and somewhat predictably, we're incredibly worried that someone might reveal the name of her long dormant (and clearly now dormant once again) char from a MUD she played over a decade ago.  

I guess it could be a problem if somehow my option two is right, but thinking it over, that really would surprise me.  I mean, she'd have to have been an infamous mudsexer or something, which is possible, but does seem unlikely.  I guess don't reveal her name if she has an embarrassing history from when she was a teenager with poor judgment.  So... I guess option two isn't totally out of the question.  But yeah, if that's the case, no one deserves to have such transgressions follow them forever and ever.    

• edited July 2014
    Krypton said:

I've seen the author's character running around in Achaea again these last few days. If Laura Hall is open to revealing the character tied to the article, and receiving messages in-game about it from everyone else, that announcement should be made by her hands.

Interesting.  Her tone in the article was pretty final, and more of a "tug at our heartstrings" device than anything (especially those of who read the article as Achaean players).  So maybe she's actually rekindled an interest in the game?  If that's the case, it does change things.

• Shirszae said:

I fail to see what is so laughable about it, really. Some people are particular about their privacy.

If she's actually playing again, it's definitely a problem unless she's okay with having all eyes on her, especially as the article is a hot topic right now.  If it's a dormant char that doesn't have an embarrassing history, it would be absolutely silly.  

• Shirszae said:

No, it is not. If she does not want for it to become widely known who her character was, then its her decision. And it is a valid one. 

Of course it is, but the point is, unless she's going to resurrect that character after over a decade (which surprisingly, may be a possibility per Krypton), it's highly unlikely she actually cares.  Remember, she didn't only make herself faceless, she made our whole game faceless, so in a sense, we've already "invaded her wish for privacy" by naming Achaea and naming her as a player in it.  But it's more likely that what we're stubbornly painting as a "wish for privacy" really is just a writing device.  

• It's also unsurprising that when those who *do* know her char post cryptic notes here, it's absolutely going to make the rest of us insanely curious.  

• edited July 2014
    You are really overthinking this.

It is her choice if her name is revealed and I hope you respect that.

Only reason there are "cryptic" comments is because people are asking so many questions about her and her character.
  • Maybe.  Anyway, hey, we may have a player back ;)  

• That's pretty cool. This is a unique experience, rewarding to those that put in the time, over a long period of time, consistently. Interesting though.

IRE was doing Freemium before it was cool.

I know I've never spent so much money on any game. I couldn't be happy with any class or House, I kept wanting to see what else there was to see and do (that I could get quickly anyways), which turned into me having to spend Credits to get lessons. Profitable for IRE, and value for me at the time, but long term no real value added to  those playing the game, and nothing for me to hold on to. Win or lose, I did help fund some of the game :D

I never would have thought the business model of IRE would be a success, especially in today's world of rich graphical games that don't require or really have the means of spending real money for increased success (other than things like mounts/pets in WoW, can't get high ilvl gear with real money [without a ToS violation]).

Congrats! A true pioneer in business and gaming.

The richness of content, story, and interaction with gods is really unparalleled in my experience.

While I haven't done it, I do think if you want to be successful in Achaea (or any IRE MUD), you need to pick something and stick with it for the long term. Jumping to the next cool thing, abandoning everything for a new class/House/city/ability won't help you other than for a very short time while burning bridges and rep as you go. The people behind characters do tend to understand, it does get old after a while when someone like me comes around wanting to join a House/City/whatevs and odds are good I may disappear from the game for a while or jump ship to another House/City/whatevs.

• Not sure if immediately knowing who the author's character is makes me really old or just very connected to them...
  • The Glorious Vagina.

Deep within a glorious, warm vagina. If you are seeing this, aren't you lucky? Just go north to leave. A runic totem is planted solidly in the ground. Wings flaring, the pegasus tosses his regal head impatiently.

You see a single exit leading north.