The Anime and Manga Thread

124»

Comments

• I'm looking for some awesome Mech/Giant Fighting Robot based animes to watch. I've already seen every single Gundam, Robotech, Code Geass and all the mainstream ones.

• Datrius said:

I'm looking for some awesome Mech/Giant Fighting Robot based animes to watch. I've already seen every single Gundam, Robotech, Code Geass and all the mainstream ones.

You might like Aldnoah Zero or Nobunaga the Fool. Nobu can be very dialogue heavy at times. I thought it was good, but some people didn't like it. Takes a few episodes to get going. 

I've heard that Gurren Lagann is good, but I haven't seen it myself.

• I'll have a look at the first two. Gurren Lagann however failed to impress me and couldn't keep my interest.

• edited July 2014
    Does "all the mainstream ones" include Gunbuster, Vandread, Rahxephon, Escaflowne, and Martian Successor Nadesico? If not, I liked all of those. There are probably some others I'm forgetting. I don't know much about more recent stuff.
  • edited July 2014
    Datrius said:

I'm looking for some awesome Mech/Giant Fighting Robot based animes to watch. I've already seen every single Gundam, Robotech, Code Geass and all the mainstream ones.

Do you want works with a light-hearted tone or do you prefer a darker story?

For light-hearted, I recommend the Super Robot Wars OG titles (both the shows and the games), Vandread, and the Patlabor OVAs and TV show.

For darker shows, I recommend Gasaraki, Evangelion (since you didn't mention it), the Zone of the Enders TV series, Reideen, and the Patlabor movies.

I'll also suggest Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's not mecha, per se, as the major battles are all massive ship battles in space, but I suggest it to all mecha fans anyway.

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!

I am so stuck on One Piece right now. There are no words to describe.

• For those that have completed reading Goodnight Punpun: interview with Inio Asano.

• Just finished Knights of Sidonia and I was pretty impressed with it. Started Deathnote just because.

meh

• Datrius said:
    I'll have a look at the first two. Gurren Lagann however failed to impress me and couldn't keep my interest.

That's unusual, since Gurren Lagann is probably the definition of awesome Giant Fighting Robot anime.

Besides the ones already mentioned, I'd add Macross Frontier, the Eureka Seven/Aquarion series, Full Metal Panic (I'm not necessarily sure if I recommend it, since I found the comedy rather bland at times, but you may like it), and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

• Anyone else really disappointed with the 2nd season of SAO? They've made the plot blatantly obvious and are taking too long to get into the actual story imo.

• Yeah it is moving a little slow. Has only been two episodes though. I am gonna stick with it though, animation looks good and I'm sure it will pick up a bit. I'm really liking Tokyo Ghoul as far as new stuff for this season.

Other than that just keeping up with my usual stuff, plus checking out some older stuff I heard was good. Finished Blast of Tempest a few weeks ago and thought it was really good.

• I'm incredibly picky about watching anime, but Akame ga Kill actually looks pretty neat. Opinions before I start trying to keep up with it?

• XerXer Langley
    I like it. Given what I know about you and the anime, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with it as a whole. I forget when, but there's one part where I had some misgivings about how the plot progressed, but I just recently reread everything up to the current chapter and it felt fine overall.

On the other hand... TV TROPES WHY U GET STUFF ON ALDNOAH ZERO WRONG. MUST FIX IMMEDIATELY.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Somewhat elated - as only an eldritch abomination can be happy - that my notifications finally have something besides raves and memorable quotes.

Also, reading UQ Holder. Really liking it so far. Also, Onepunch Man is amazing. 

• XerXer Langley
    edited July 2014

Zankyou no Terror. Dunno how this one skipped by me this season - I'm curious to see how it develops, seeing as it's an original animation alongside Aldnoah Zero.

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • XerXer Langley
    edited July 2014
    The style of Zankyou no Terror somewhat reminds me of Mawaru Penguindrum. Still vastly different from one another, but the execution of the plot and the overall presentation just makes me feel that they're similar.

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • @xer What is it like? I might add it to my list of things to try to catch.

• so I started watching attack on Titan on Netflix today. thought it was just a perfectly decent action and badassery romp at the start.

Ain't nothing farther from the truth. ;__;

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • PraxidesPraxides Kansas, USA
    Martel said:

@xer What is it like? I might add it to my list of things to try to catch.

I'm not @Xer, but basically, it's about two highschool-ish aged guys who are playing games with the Japanese Police via terrorist acts and a girl about their age 'involved' who hasn't really done anything yet. (The three who are often shown as poster-people for the show.)

First episode opens up with the story some months before the actual events of the show. Certainly worth a watch, its been kinda weird and not as thrilling as I thought it would be, but still pretty good nonetheless.

• I've been keeping up with it since I finished some of the stuff in my backlog. I think it is good as well. Will be interesting to see how it goes from here.